Dale Jr in the Talladega Walk of Fame

H

Happy29

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be enshrined in the Talladega-Texaco Walk of Fame in nearby Davey Allison Memorial Park. On the eve of the EA SPORTS* 500, Dale Jr. will be inducted into the Walk of Fame after receiving the most votes by the fans. This is the quickest any driver has been inducted into the Talladega-Texaco Walk of Fame. This is only Dale Jr.'s fourth full season in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series. His father, Dale Earnhardt, was the first active driver to be inducted into the Walk of Fame, in the inaugural class of 1995. Fred Lorenzen, voted as one of the 50 greatest drivers in NASCAR history, will be enshrined into the Walk of Fame as the inactive driver of 2003. The 2003 Talladega-Texaco Walk of Fame Induction Ceremony is on Saturday, Sept. 27, at the Davey Allison Memorial Park in uptown Talladega , a block south of the town square. This year's ceremony marks the 10th anniversary of Davey Allison's death. Joining emcee Benny Parsons on stage will be Larry McReynolds and special guests Liz Allison, along with children Robbie and Krista Allison. The induction ceremony begins at 7 p.m. and is free to the public.

This is a prime example of why fans should not vote for things like this and all-star games.

The winston is done right - You have to win to get in!!!

while I agree it is early in his career, he's already tied for 2nd in all time wins with only 8 starts....so i can see why they did it...

maybe it was a popularity thing, but I still think his record there so far warrants it....but then again, i could be wrong, cause thats never happened before.. ;)

Really, I guess there are 2 ways to look at this ----

As an award for the record he has at 'Dega
Or
As an award for being a top driver.

Junior's record at 'Dega is outstanding. So, I guess in a sense, the award is merited.

Originally posted by hooty3@Aug 6 2003, 02:18 PM
while I agree it is early in his career, he's already tied for 2nd in all time wins with only 8 starts....so i can see why they did it...
It is easy to see why Dale got the award. He got the most votes from race fans, the only qualification to win the award. His accoplishments had nothing to do with it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

According to my records, Dale Junior, had 12 starts in the NASCAR Winson Cup Series before his first win at Texas Motor Speedway and 16 starts before getting his second win at Richmond.

The "Walk of Fame" is pretty much a popularity contest as nominees must meet minimal standards and those who meet the standards are selected by a board of directors, then elected by the fans.

Placing Dale, Jr. on the "Walk" is legitimate. His claim of 2 wins in 16 starts is still an accolade, but alone is not enough of an accomplishment to get him recognition in a walk or hall of fame where an overall driving record is considered before popularity. There were other nominees who were far more deserving from that point of view than Dale Junior. Others in the running Rusty Wallace, Tony Stewart, Bobby and Terry LaBonte, all past champions.

The "Walk Of Fame" is a nicely planned and beautifully landscaped memorial and tribute to Davey Allison. Something for the fans to enjoy. It, and the election of Dale Juniuor, should be accepted for exactly what they are.

when i first posted, i forgot about the fan voting part....so yes his popularity did help, but his record at dega sure didn't hurt em... :)

Back
Top Bottom