Dale Jr. Is the End Near ?

Stu Jameson

Team Owner
I can't remember a single successful return to racing with the injuries and issues plaguing Jr.
A few names come to mind;

Lee Roy Yarbrough ,Sam Ard , Ernie Irvin,Jerry Nadeau,Rickey Craven,Steve Park.

Not enough information to know if Junior's condition is as serious as those you listed. What about the countless number of drivers who had concussions, kept driving anyway without missing a race, and in subsequent years went on to win races and championships?

RickyRudd1984dayafterBuschClashwreck.JPG

Not enough information to know if Junior's condition is as serious as those you listed. What about the countless number of drivers who had concussions, kept driving anyway without missing a race, and in subsequent years went on to win races and championships?

View attachment 20156

Yeah but times have changed and concussions are treated way differently than they used to be and people have seen with the long-term effects do.

Especially after watching what happened to his dad I think that Junior will call it quits sooner than later. He's going to error on the side of caution and he won't be driving anymore but he'll forever be part of the sport and I think he's going to become an owner in the cup series.

Especially after watching what happened to his dad I think that Junior will call it quits sooner than later. He's going to error on the side of caution....
I don't dispute that is possible. But the OP's point seems to be that no one has ever been able come back from a head injury, listing names such as Jerry Nadeau and others who tried to perform but couldn't. My point is that "times have changed" as you said, and maybe that is why Dale is sitting out several races now. We don't have any information indicating Dale has suffered serious long-term loss of function. He may elect to retire to avoid getting there, but I feel it is pointless speculation to post that he is already there. Just my opinion.

I have been reading some rumblings that Junior may be willing to hang it up after this season, waiting until the end of the season to make any announcement. Then I saw a story somewhere that Junior said he misses the people more than the racing.

I have been reading some rumblings that Junior may be willing to hang it up after this season, waiting until the end of the season to make any announcement. Then I saw a story somewhere that Junior said he misses the people more than the racing.
Bringing Jr. Motorsports to cup would solve that.

I'd guess that within a year he will announce his retirement. It wouldn't shock me if he never got back in a car.

Bringing Jr. Motorsports to cup would solve that.

I'd guess that within a year he will announce his retirement. It wouldn't shock me if he never got back in a car.

"It wouldn't shock me if he never got back in a car."

Me either.

View attachment 20156

Oh the times they are a changin.
Something tells me that it's not all up to Jr. Unlike me, he's worth a whole lot more alive than dead.

If not at the end of this year then soon. Gordon, Stewart, and Junior done on consecutive years, and thenjoy maybe Kenseth?

Look at where he is in life. He's spent his entire adult life in racing, taking the risks and rewards that come with that and the legacy of his "name".

But now, he's in his 40's, financially set, getting married, starting a family (?), and facing a serious health condition that continuing as a driver will likely result in increased issues.

If I were in his shoes, the choice would be simple. Retire from driving and continue in the sport to the degree it pleases me. Or just ride off into the sunset. Maybe go on a hunting trip with Tony & Jeff.

I would be surprised if he retires unless he gets a doctor that he respects to tell him that he is pushing his luck. Then I would bet that his family and fiance will probably try to come up with a solution. I hope he doesn't keep going trying to get the championship or something else before retiring. Being able to retire and enjoy life, a wife and maybe a family is more important.

If Dale Jr. retires, I have no idea how NASCAR will fill the stands. It will be a tremendous vacuum that makes the loss of Jeff and Tony seem like a drop in the bucket. For the future of the sport, pray that Elliot or someone can establish themselves as superstars before he hangs it up.

I can't remember a single successful return to racing with the injuries and issues plaguing Jr.
A few names come to mind;

Lee Roy Yarbrough ,Sam Ard , Ernie Irvin,Jerry Nadeau,Rickey Craven,Steve Park.

He might retire and it is serious. But I think the above drivers had more serious injuries.

Jr. should walk away. Same thing is happening in the NFL. Players are looking after their health because the owners sure won't.

Back
Top Bottom