Danica Patrick on NASCAR schedule: 'We don't have any lives'

When you say "buddy up" do you mean run both races at the track the same weekend? That is an interesting idea, something IndyCar has done. I don't know if fans would want two 500 mile races at Texas on consecutive days however.

That is exactly what I meant and I know I wouldn't do two back to back races at Texas and just about anywhere else.

Baseball- 162 games per year, shorter season, but say goodbye to your family for 6 straight months. Oh and your wife is having a child now? Have a three day vacation to spend with your newborn, then we'll see you at the next series.

Pre-modern era NASCAR had 50+ races a season, midweek races, races 100+ miles away 48 hours from completion of the last race, and an "offseason" that lasted 2-6 weeks. You and your team were on the road continuously from late March to early October, with some longer breaks between races in the winter. Wanna talk to your family? Find a payphone at the track.

Just say'n...things are pretty cushy for these guys. Do what you love Friday-Sunday. See your family Monday/Tuesday. Talk to the press and make sponsor commitments Wednesday/Thursday, then fly on a team jet to do it all over again in the million dollar motor home that's already been set up for you.

I do feel for the smaller team drivers and the crew members though. It's a long haul.

I wouldn't say she's wrong, I can't find a link at the moment but I remember Jimmie saying a year or two ago if they could work on condensing the race weekends into mainly two-day shows or something he would be in favor of it. I think a few other drivers have said they'd like a slightly shorter season. I can't fault them, basically forty straight weeks is a hell of a grind and the offseason isn't that long relative to the sporting world.

That said, there are some reasons why I don't think it'll happen including NBC and FOX not wanting to give up inventory and the multi-year sanctioning agreements with the tracks.

I'd like to see two day shows as well. I think the fact that there's no on-track activity prior to the race on race days is something NASCAR can improve on -- especially with night races. Maybe do all on-track Cup activity for Saturday night races on Saturday morning and afternoon.

The regular season schedule is pretty brutal. I wouldn't mind it being cut down to 32 races. Get rid of Pocono, Kansas, Texas and Charlotte's second dates.

Everone I have ever known that races had no other life. From Go Karts to Late Models it is an all consuming 24/7 passion. There are simply too many possessed freaks out there that will destroy anyone who isnt as committed.

And we need a 46 to 48 race schedule.

Everone I have ever known that races had no other life. From Go Karts to Late Models it is an all consuming 24/7 passion. There are simply too many possessed freaks out there that will destroy anyone who isnt as committed.

And we need a 46 to 48 race schedule.
Bazinga!

Find it hard to listen to anyone with a net worth of $18 million complain about not having "a life" while doing yoga on a yacht in paradise.

Screen-Shot-2015-09-02-at-11.23.16-PM-395x400.png

Come back down to earth please, the humble pie tastes better down here.

Last edited:
Find it hard to listen to anyone with a net worth of $18 million complain about not having "a life" while doing yoga on a yacht in paradise.

Come back down to earth please, the humble pie tastes better down here.
People in the public eye, like everyone else, are inclined to remark on aspects of their lives. Their financial circumstances are part of that, no matter the state of those finances.

Being financially successful should not be a limiting factor.

People in the public eye, like everyone else, are inclined to remark on aspects of their lives. Their financial circumstances are part of that, no matter the state of those finances.

Being financially successful should not be a limiting factor.
She & any other celebrity can remark on whatever they deem necessary. Its a free country.

That doesnt mean I should agree with her as an out of touch with the average working joe/jane that cant just say "yeah I can retire at 38 or 42" & then have the gumption to complain about being too tied up to live a little.

Gimmie a break

You're quite right. You have every right to disagree with her.

And I have every right to deny your request.

The thing is, basically anybody who has a net worth of 18 mil has "no life", because to accumulate that amount of wealth one must dedicate themselves entirely to their line of work. Whether it's an athlete, a stock broker, the owner of a chain of supermarkets, or whatever. To get there you will not have a life outside of your job.

So to Danica I say either keep making your millions and don't complain, or get a regular job like middle America and have all the free time you want. Your choice. But don't choose to dedicate yourself to a career like this, where you get to rake in the money and take in all of the personal freedoms that come with it, and then whine about how it takes so much of your time to do so. Nobody is forcing you to do this.

She said how she felt about it. I Thought "we" preferred that these people express themselves honestly rather than simply thank the boys at the shop and run through the long list of corporate sponsors.

Laughable. Get what you want and then complain about it.

I am retired but work a few days a month to make up for the increase in cost of living.

Reminds me of this old ancient Chinese proverb...

"I don't know what they want from me. It's like the mo' money we come across, the mo' problems we see."
I see what you did there.

Last edited:
I love NASCAR and all, but the season is way too long. To be honest I don't really miss it all that much in the offseason, because after 9 months I need the break and just over two months later there are cars back on the track. I'd be all for shaving a few weeks off of it.
I would be ok with shaving a couple weeks off too, and look forward to the off season every year, and pretty much take a complete break from NASCAR for a short period during the off season.

I get it but the bottom line with the exception of football EVERY pro sport is too long. 162 games in baseball going April 1-October 1 and then a month of playoffs, Hockey and Basketball going 82 games followed by 4 Best of 7 series, it all adds up to being a heck of a grind. Even golf goes February to October in Ryder Cup years with obvious burnout in these late season tournaments.

You wanna be a pro though, you have to make these sacrifices

I just seen an interview this afternoon with Harvick where they asked him about being a father and he said that it's easy to have time with his family because he isn't working a 9-5 job everyday and can bring his family to the track to watch him race every week.

Good idea to cut out a few races from the cup season to give the drivers a few extra weekends off... so they can go race somewhere else...good grief. It's what most good drivers love to do, race that is.

If she thinks it is too long then nobody is forcing her to participate. She was the one the signed on the dotted line and knew what she was getting into. Maybe it is time for her to move on to another field that gives her the time off she feels she deserves. Then maybe a driver with a better chance of advancing out of the mid 20's finish all the time will get a good ride.

Blame the messenger if you must , but I doubt there is a single driver out there who wouldn't tell you the same thing . And yes, they would like to go out on their off weekend and race dirt tracks , dune buggies , boats and motorcycles , but that's not work , that's fun . I'd love to see them cut the stupid exhibition races out of the schedule for starters .

Good idea to cut out a few races from the cup season to give the drivers a few extra weekends off... so they can go race somewhere else...good grief. It's what most good drivers love to do, race that is.
Say what you will about some of these guys, but it's obvious how much some of them love racing. They're the ones that show up on their few open weekends at some track somewhere just for the heck of it - sprint cars, Modifieds, Snowball Derby, etc. But as someone pointed out, that's for fun, not work.

Random thoughts.
1) Let's separate the message from the messenger. Over the last several years, other drivers have said what Patrick is saying now.
2) Yes, the schedule is too long. But the tracks aren't going to voluntarily give up dates.
3) Yes, Danica knew that going into it.

Patrick says she won't quit until she wins in NASCAR.(Fox Business)(9-14-2016)

Teed up like a great big softball...

Back
Top Bottom