Dario out for season!

P

PettyBenson

Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - Andretti/Green Racing has announced that driver Dario Franchitti will not compete for the remainder of the 2003 IndyCar season.

"I'm really disappointed," said Franchitti. "After assessing the options available, I feel that to do the surgery now is the best thing for me. By having the surgery, I can be back 100-percent fitness at Andretti/Green Racing for the 2004 IndyCar Series Championship and the Indianapolis 500.

Franchitti injured the L1 vertebra in his back during a motorcycle accident last April.

"I feel awful for Dario right now," said owner Michael Andretti. "I know this is one of the hardest decisions he has ever had to make and I know he is making the right decision...The team is 110-percent behind Dario."

The team has not announced who will be a replacement for the final 10 events of the season.

This is a shock to me! I thought when he came back, he had recovered from his injury. Michael can't be happy that Dario ends up missing almost the whole season because of getting injured out of the car doing something dangerous. I wonder if Dario will have no motorcycle riding added into his contract. I don't think John Andretti would be a good choice because when he drove in Cart, he was basically horrible despite driving for a top notch team. He only had 1 win. Bryan Herta did a nice job at Texas, but if he could get Alex Barron that would be awesome. Barron would probably win at least 1 race before the end of the year. Hopefully Dario will come back next year and win the first race of the year, that would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom