Darts!

2 Sweet

HMS 4-life
So I've never been much of a darts player, but they are fun to throw around every now and then. Well, today I found an old dartboard for sale and couldn't pass it up.....

20210520-230732-HDR.jpg

20210520-232142-HDR.jpg

20210520-232207-HDR.jpg

The lights work, but the rest of the electronics (monitor, etc) don't, so it's currently non-functional as far as keeping score. I'm not sure which route to take going forward. I can see about having it repaired, although I don't have a clue if that's even possible for a reasonable price. I can try dicking around with it and attempt to fix it myself, which is probably unrealistic considering I don't know the first thing about it. I can just use it how it is and keep track of points the old fashioned way, which is perfectly acceptable. Or I can remove the electronic dart board and replace it with a bristle board.

I'm leaning towards the latter, because I've always preferred steel tip darts on a bristle "self-healing" board over soft tip darts on a plastic board with molded holes. Bounce outs are just way too common with plastic, although that could be due to using cheap darts or could be due to my lack of skill. Probably a combination of both.

I used to have a bristle board, and I had made a custom surround out of foamboard (with OSB as a backer) which was incredibly easy.....

0409201256-HDR.jpg

I'm sure I could find a pre-made backer similar to that, maybe covered in felt which would look a lot nicer than what I had made. But I'll probably just get some soft tip darts and try it out before I make up my mind.

Any thoughts?

So I've never been much of a darts player, but they are fun to throw around every now and then. Well, today I found an old dartboard for sale and couldn't pass it up.....

20210520-230732-HDR.jpg

20210520-232142-HDR.jpg

20210520-232207-HDR.jpg

The lights work, but the rest of the electronics (monitor, etc) don't, so it's currently non-functional as far as keeping score. I'm not sure which route to take going forward. I can see about having it repaired, although I don't have a clue if that's even possible for a reasonable price. I can try dicking around with it and attempt to fix it myself, which is probably unrealistic considering I don't know the first thing about it. I can just use it how it is and keep track of points the old fashioned way, which is perfectly acceptable. Or I can remove the electronic dart board and replace it with a bristle board.

I'm leaning towards the latter, because I've always preferred steel tip darts on a bristle "self-healing" board over soft tip darts on a plastic board with molded holes. Bounce outs are just way too common with plastic, although that could be due to using cheap darts or could be due to my lack of skill. Probably a combination of both.

I used to have a bristle board, and I had made a custom surround out of foamboard (with OSB as a backer) which was incredibly easy.....

0409201256-HDR.jpg

I'm sure I could find a pre-made backer similar to that, maybe covered in felt which would look a lot nicer than what I had made. But I'll probably just get some soft tip darts and try it out before I make up my mind.

Any thoughts?
"GO GATORS"

I saw the title and thought this was a Dodge thread.
I had several Dodge Darts, loved them all.

I used to be quite a darts player, played all the time. Won the only tournament I ever entered. Then my elbow started hurting every time I started throwing so I stopped. Haven't played in many years now.

I had several Dodge Darts, loved them all.

I used to be quite a darts player, played all the time. Won the only tournament I ever entered. Then my elbow started hurting every time I started throwing so I stopped. Haven't played in many years now.
You could go and give @2 Sweet some tips. He's just over in Hilliard

In my younger days we would play a game of Baseball on the Dart board. We would choose teams would play a 9 inning game. The VFW, Moose Club, and many of the local bars would all have a dart board and darts.

If it were mine, I'd at least open it up and see if there was anything obvious that I could do for it. Check fuses, look for (and replace) memory backup batteries (if any), disconnect connectors / clean them up / reconnect them, look for anything loose or frayed... might not fix it, but sometimes I get lucky...

Nice. I’d say go with whatever you feel would be the most practical way to bring it back to life. You could always give YouTube a gander and see if you can find anything on repairing a dart board. It’s likely you will. My brother used YouTube walkthroughs to revive the ‘04 Subaru Impreza he inherited, and he’s not even a mechanic per se... but he learned!

Still have this thing, still use it somewhat often. I don't plug it in anymore because the last time I did, one of the wires inside started burning and it stunk up the whole apartment. Took a week to get rid of the smell. At some point I'll just rip out all the guts and leave the wiring for the lights.

20221216-224842.jpg

I bought some decent darts and a pack of "lippoint" tips (recommended to me by a friend) and bounce outs haven't been an issue whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom