Daydream Believers, The Monkees Story

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
I just saw this movie, made in 2000 and really enjoyed it. As usual, documentaries prompt me to go to the internet and read up on the subjects. I know the movie had lots of falseties, but still, it showed the turmoil that the four boys went through in their rise to fame. Being a creature of the 60's, these guys were thick in my time and though I didn't really care all that much for their music then, I love it now. I guess it just brings back lots of memories.

Though the group was brought together as a TV program, and most of their music from the beginning used session musicians that gave them the reputation of being phonies, they later overcame that, although not entirely. While only two of them, Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork, were the only professional musicians, both Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz who were actors, were trained in music and song. BTW, for you oldsters, Steven Stills auditioned for the band and was on the short list, but didn't make it because they thought he wouldn't appeal to the audience they wanted.

One thing I did learn from my research is that The Monkees were responsible for Jimi Hendrix and his band the Jimi Hendrix Experience their first US exposure. That was shown in the movie as well.

:D

I work with a guy who sawHendrix in concert... when he was becoming a big name and The Monkees was their opening act ~~

I love thier car the Monkess drove.. remember watching that when was kid

Hey hey I like the Monkees
mmobile1.jpg

video of the car
Monkees Theme song
The Monkees You Just May Be the One song

Back
Top Bottom