Daytona to honor Earnhardt

Perhaps we talk about Sr like that because most people wish that racing and Nascar was still like it was when he was racing. Lets face it it was better, the whole thing was better, races were sold out, there were new fans flocking in droves to Nascar. Now what do we have, empty seats, declining TV ratings, a sport that is still trying to find it self after Sr died. When Earnhardt was racing I didn't like him, hell he was the opposite of what I liked, I was a Bill Elliot fan and Sr. was a rival. That was all lost when Sr. died, sure Nascar tried to create rivals, and still does, but it is nothing like it was because they don't have a clue most of the time what the hell they are doing. Yeh I get sick of the tribute stuff just as much of the next guy, but you have to admit, and I hate saying this, Sr. was The Nascar of the modern era. You can spin it any way you want, but the fact remains, Nascar has not been the same, has not put out a product that can come close to matching what it had during that era. They have tried just about everything, but really what do we have now? A 2 car draft that looks like a video game, actually it is worse than a video game, sure as hell isn't racing, even if Nascar is trying to fix it most likely they will just create another problem. Do any of you actually think this would have happened if Earnhardt were still alive? Do any of you think that Sr would of sat back and not voiced his opinion, swaggered on up to the trailer and had a little chat? I can remember Sr. walking down the infield paddock area at Daytona with a few microphones in his face saying " this isn't racing boys" that's all he had to say. The next day he was in the trailer, changes were made , and there was better racing that year at Daytona & Dega. Do we have any one right now in the garage with that kind of a voice and influence? No one I can think of off hand, no one even close. That is why this sport has gone downhill, why it has no real clear direction, I don't like laying all that on Sr., but IMO I think that is what has happened. So I think that is why after 10 years we still have all the tribute stuff, why even the big cheeses of Nascar are playing off of it, because they can make money off it for one and two, it still brings attention to the sport.

Very well said
:beerbang::beerbang::beerbang:

Oh I don't know, abandoning your kid and not taking care of him or talking to him until he is a teenager may qualify as being a dirt bag father. You have heard of Kerry Earnhardt, right?

I was never a fan of Earnhardt, I am a Gordon fan. I grew up in Concord, NC which is right next door to Kannapolis, NC, Earnhardt home town. Honestly I am sick and tired of the Earnhardt worship, and I say that BECAUSE I grew up next to Earnhardt hometown.

because we can't slam other members here i guess i won't tell a few to go F%^$# themselves. however appears we got a few here that never saw him race so i guess ignorance is bliss

I did see him race, been watching NASCAR since I was four, hence the reason I said Earnhardt was an a**hole.

oh wow since you were 4, when was that?
again andy ignorance is bliss

Earnhardt didn't die two years later:rolleyes:

He abandoned his own son, he literally sat behind a microphone and started talking trash about Mark Martin's alcohol problems, he would've rather wrecked a driver than made a clean pass (because it looks so awesome on the highlight reel), he very frequently refused to sign autographs for fans (even for children), and he even came off as a genuine dick. And there were plenty of people who believed this when he was racing, but once he died, he became a ****ing saint and it became all but illegal to say a negative word about him.

Oh, and think he would've ever won seven if Tim Richmond, Rob Moroso, Davey Allison and Alan Kulwicki hadn't died and Ernie Irvan hadn't almost lost his life because of the tire wars?

No denying he was a great driver and he had a lot of fans. Nothing against that or them... but saying anyone who didn't like Earnhardt "never watched NASCAR when he was racing" is a complete ass of a thing to say. I think you simply forgot what it was like when he was racing. There were plenty of people in the crowd booing him when he was alive. Kind of reminds me of two drivers racing today, Kyle Busch and Brad Keselowski.

Earnhardt didn't die two years later:rolleyes:

He abandoned his own son, he literally sat behind a microphone and started talking trash about Mark Martin's alcohol problems, he would've rather wrecked a driver than made a clean pass (because it looks so awesome on the highlight reel), he very frequently refused to sign autographs for fans (even for children), and he even came off as a genuine dick. And there were plenty of people who believed this when he was racing, but once he died, he became a ****ing saint and it became all but illegal to say a negative word about him.

Oh, and think he would've ever won seven if Tim Richmond, Rob Moroso, Davey Allison and Alan Kulwicki hadn't died and Ernie Irvan hadn't almost lost his life because of the tire wars?

No denying he was a great driver and he had a lot of fans. Nothing against that or them... but saying anyone who didn't like Earnhardt "never watched NASCAR when he was racing" is a complete ass of a thing to say. I think you simply forgot what it was like when he was racing. There were plenty of people in the crowd booing him when he was alive. Kind of reminds me of two drivers racing today, Kyle Busch and Brad Keselowski.

While I agree with most of what you said, Dale had another thing going for him.....he was a leader. He was the leader in the garage, no one has stepped into those shoes since he died. That is what is lacking in todays' Nascar, that is what is needed, some one to step up and call it what it is....BS. Now a days everyone is afraid to do that, afraid to speak up because they will get points docked or $$$ missing from their paychecks. Do you actually think for a minute that Dale Sr wouldn't of gone to the trailer after that debacle some of you are calling racing saturday night? Sr would of been spouting off all kind of derogatory stuff as he walked away from his car after that one, and for good reason too. Look I'm not portraying the guy as a hero, a saint, a nice guy...any of that, all I'm saying he was the voice. That voice is needed, the sport is not any better than it was when he died, in fact just the opposite, other than the safety issues and if it continues in the direction it is going now, more fans will be leaving in droves.

While I agree with most of what you said, Dale had another thing going for him.....he was a leader. He was the leader in the garage, no one has stepped into those shoes since he died. That is what is lacking in todays' Nascar, that is what is needed, some one to step up and call it what it is....BS. Now a days everyone is afraid to do that, afraid to speak up because they will get points docked or $$$ missing from their paychecks. Do you actually think for a minute that Dale Sr wouldn't of gone to the trailer after that debacle some of you are calling racing saturday night? Sr would of been spouting off all kind of derogatory stuff as he walked away from his car after that one, and for good reason too. Look I'm not portraying the guy as a hero, a saint, a nice guy...any of that, all I'm saying he was the voice. That voice is needed, the sport is not any better than it was when he died, in fact just the opposite, other than the safety issues and if it continues in the direction it is going now, more fans will be leaving in droves.

I understand. And my messages wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the other pair of posters who said I was being a **** or didn't watch when Big E was alive. I think people forget Earnhardt had many fans who didn't like him... but when he died, he became the national hero.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom