De La Hoya Retires

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
America's most popular pugilist -- boxing's "Golden Boy" -- announced his decision on Tuesday across the street from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, where a statue of him stands.

De La Hoya is retiring four months after he was thoroughly beaten by Manny Pacquiao in his fourth loss in his last seven fights. It's been several years since De La Hoya beat a truly daunting opponent. He finishes with a record of 39-6 and 30 knockouts.

He told an outdoor audience that he's retiring because it's not fair to himself or the fans to continue when he can't compete at the highest level anymore.

"Boxing is my passion," De La Hoya said. "When I can't compete at the highest level, it's not fair. It's not fair to me. It's not fair to the fans. I've come to the conclusion that it's over inside the ring for me. My decision was based on a lot. Now, I understand why athletes have such a tough time retiring from something that you feel so passionate about."

The East L.A. native said he will stay involved in the sport as a promoter with his Golden Boy Promotions company.

He is doing the right thing. There are no more big paydays left for him after being beaten so badly by Manny Pacquiao. There wasn't any shame in losing to Manny, who is just a great fighter. It's just how badly the smaller Pacquiao beat him that left fan convinced that Oscar just didn't have anything left.

Oscar has done very well for himself with Golden Boy Productions. He certainly doesn't need to further tarnish his legacy or image by losing any more fights. Oscar was great for quite a while, but he clearly isn't that fighter any more. Now if only Evander Holyfield would get a clue and hang up the gloves for good before he actually dies in the ring.

Back
Top Bottom