Deegan update

When it became apparent? Toyota dropped their most successful driver who had the best truck team in the series. They did the ol stall plan of we're trying to find a sponsor for dear Kyle all season long leaving everybody hanging. Gilliland was dropped by Ford because they made a deal with ThorSport. Toyota was gutted, who could they get that was left? Not much left to choose from

Deegan is part of the Ford development teams and she comes with solid backing. Mark Rushbrook said that
So, predictions for Hailie’s 2023 season? Wins, top 5s, top 10s…?

I've said something was off at DGR, I mean TRICON, with her there. Just listening to radio comms sometimes it just sounded like her team would talk down to her at times. Almost as if they really did not take her input seriously at times.

Maybe a new start with a more established organization and learn from a very expereinced group. I think she will improve, just how much is to be seen. I'd say, shoot for about 5 to 7 top 10s, maybe a two or so top 5s. Wins? Not yet, but her being consistent and putting together top 12 finishes would be a great start.

maybe we should close this thread and open it for two days every 12 races,or it mite break the internet.good luck to her this year.:dirtbike:

I've said something was off at DGR, I mean TRICON, with her there. Just listening to radio comms sometimes it just sounded like her team would talk down to her at times. Almost as if they really did not take her input seriously at times.

Maybe a new start with a more established organization and learn from a very expereinced group. I think she will improve, just how much is to be seen. I'd say, shoot for about 5 to 7 top 10s, maybe a two or so top 5s. Wins? Not yet, but her being consistent and putting together top 12 finishes would be a great start.
Three years in the series, with a championship-winning crew chief and top-tier team. Wins should ABSOLUTELY be the goal, and an attainable goal at that.

She either has it or she doesn't, and this year, we're going to find out. Jury's still out. Maybe she goes out and makes the playoffs or gets several top-5s and runs consistently in the top-10. It'd be great for the sport if she does. It's in EVERYBODY's best interest that she becomes an elite driver, which is why the entire sport is moving Heaven and Earth for her. But this year will tell the story.

Three years in the series, with a championship-winning crew chief and top-tier team. Wins should ABSOLUTELY be the goal, and an attainable goal at that.

She either has it or she doesn't, and this year, we're going to find out. Jury's still out. Maybe she goes out and makes the playoffs or gets several top-5s and runs consistently in the top-10. It'd be great for the sport if she does. It's in EVERYBODY's best interest that she becomes an elite driver, which is why the entire sport is moving Heaven and Earth for her. But this year will tell the story.
She is a Ford development driver, she has been since 2019 when she left toyota. Ford and ThorSport made a deal to switch manufacturers. Ford doesn't burn thru drivers no matter what some of the fans think and what certain OEM's do. Briscoe, Custer, Cendric and Majeski were in the Ford development program for example. Like the Global director of Ford performance Mark Rushbrook said, they are going to find her more rides in the other series Nascar, IMSA etc if opportunities become available.

Yes, this is the year that she needs to show a big improvement. I'm a fan, and I hope she has it. If she doesn't, then that's the way it goes. Not really much point in debating it.

Deegan and her dad also said that there wasn't any room for advancement with toyota so their's that. They said that publicly on a Youtube clip when they were testing a Ford in Oklahoma.
You know why there was no room for advancement? This is a performance based business and she didnt have the results.

It's pretty hilarious, no, it's pitiful actually that a mediocre male driver can drive for years in Nascar, have a whole career doing so but let one of the wimmen get behind the wheel and this is what ya got. Oh she had better win OR ELSE.

It's pretty hilarious, no, it's pitiful actually that a mediocre male driver can drive for years in Nascar, have a whole career doing so but let one of the wimmen get behind the wheel and this is what ya got. Oh she had better win OR ELSE.
We aren’t even talking about mediocre right now though.

What you’re refusing to look at is, to date, statistically, Hailie Deegan has been much, much, much worse than people think.

Also, “mediocre” male drivers don’t have bars constantly lowered and goalposts constantly moved and don’t get fanbases because they’re hot. That’s where the real misogyny is, lowering the bar for women to “look good, get sponsors, get fans.”

We’ve already gone over the list of drivers who are better than her that are constantly told they aren’t good enough, don’t belong, and get criticized weekly on here.

We aren’t even talking about mediocre right now though.

What you’re refusing to look at is, to date, statistically, Hailie Deegan has been much, much, much worse than people think.

Also, “mediocre” male drivers don’t have bars constantly lowered and goalposts constantly moved and don’t get fanbases because they’re hot. That’s where the real misogyny is, lowering the bar for women to “look good, get sponsors, get fans.”

We’ve already gone over the list of drivers who are better than her that are constantly told they aren’t good enough, don’t belong, and get criticized weekly on here.
That comes mostly from people like yourself. There is a whole world out there that doesn't think that way. You are way overboard about a female racing in the truck series and so are many others. There are plenty of women that have raced in other series for years that don't get the biased and bigoted scrutiny that comes from a few on this forum.

I was a verifiable supporter of Danica and also Deegan when she first started but soured on her when she showed no signs of improvement in year 2. I'm not a fan of any driver male or female that has 3 top 10's in 46 starts in the third tier Division. I find it hilarious that people get defensive and fall all over themselves to support her when the data clearly shows she is digressing.

Looks like your name is on everyone and I usually post responding to you
ya think I am convinced yet? Riddle me this? How come Dale Earnhardt Jr raced for 19 years and never won a title, didn't win a race in 8 of those years in cup and was the second most popular driver in cup for 15 freaking years and there sure as hell wasn't 35 pages of they need to get rid of him if he doesn't WIN a f'n race.
Or how about Bill? THE most popular driver of all time 23 of his 38 years in cup he didn't win a race and he wasn't ridiculed either.

I think some on here need to take a look at where they are coming from.

ya think I am convinced yet? Riddle me this? How come Dale Earnhardt Jr raced for 19 years and never won a title, didn't win a race in 8 of those years in cup and was the second most popular driver in cup for 15 freaking years and there sure as hell wasn't 35 pages of they need to get rid of him if he doesn't WIN a f'n race.
Or how about Bill? THE most popular driver of all time 23 of his 38 years in cup he didn't win a race and he wasn't ridiculed either.

You comparing Jr and Elliott to Deegan is pathetic, and look at you continuing us to another page lol

That is a terrible argument.

They all have in common as being a most popular driver bud.
Dale Jr won Xfinity Championships and 20+ Cup races, Elliott was a Cup Champion and 44 Cup wins. Deegan, O fer and 3 Top 10 in 46 starts= Pathetic

If you compare 2021 and 2022, she actually did worse in 2022.
When you’re a new driver the goal is to improve as you gain experience.

That comes mostly from people like yourself. There is a whole world out there that doesn't think that way. You are way overboard about a female racing in the truck series and so are many others. There are plenty of women that have raced in other series for years that don't get the biased and bigoted scrutiny that comes from a few on this forum.

Natalie Decker, Toni Breidinger and others don’t get the hype and praise Deegan gets, rocket scientist. This forum universally criticizes Decker. Balcaen and Briedinger get criticized harshly online.

Deegan is the only one that people aren’t allowed to criticize on here.

There isn’t a bigger supporter of women in racing than me. I’ve worked with several. I watch women, every week, who are capable of taking it to the boys.

Isabella Robusto, who I’ve been a fan of since she ran Winter Nationals in a Legend. Katie Hettinger, who I wrote about at North Wilkesboro while the rest of the media only focused on one driver. I just did something the other week on Phoenyx Kimball, Legends driver who races at Jacksonville and has been impressive. I was on my feet when Kaylee Bryson put on a show at Chili last year.

I wanted Deegan to do well. I still do.

Almost every single person who has genuine connections on this forum has told the same story about her: she’s regressing and she’s not putting in the work.

Article I wrote in 2017, before this 🤡 barking at us even knew who she was:

NASCAR NEXT DRIVER HAILIE DEEGAN MAKES TRANSITION TO ASPHALT

LUCAMA, NC – Hailie Deegan has carved out her own reputation in off road racing as the “Dirt Princess”, but now she’s making the transition to asphalt racing as she competes in late model races in North Carolina.

The 16-year-old from Temecula, California, who was named to the 2017 NASCAR NEXT class, recently began chasing pavement in various Super Late Model races. Teamed up with Bond Suss Racing, Deegan has already started having success – leading laps in a Fast Five Pro Late Model Series race at Southern National Motorsports Park in August.

“I raced a little bit of asphalt back in California, just a couple races in a slower Late Model car but these cars are pretty big and a lot faster,” Deegan told POPULAR SPEED. “I think I’m really good at setting fast lap times. I need a little more work in being around people. In off road racing, where I come from, it’s all about passing people within one second. Here, it’s like, you could be trying to pass someone for 10 laps.

“It’s just a different type of racing which I’m still trying to learn.”

Hailie Deegan is the daughter of off-road racing icon and X-Games legend Brian Deegan. In her own off-road career, she has already had success, becoming the first woman to win a race in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series. While she has shifted gears, literally and figuratively, and is focusing on her asphalt career, she still competes in off-road racing.

“My dad and me, we came from off road racing which I currently still race in,” Deegan remarked. “I race in the Pro Lite Class which is an all age open from 15-years-old on. So I’m racing that and asphalt.”

It’s the success she has already had, along with the desire to take on a new discipline, that made Deegan want to transition to asphalt racing.

“I think, in off road, I’ve been doing really well and I ventured out seeing what else I could do that would make me that much better,” Deegan explained. “Coming to asphalt racing, it’s a whole new game for me. It’s a whole new thing I’m learning and so, I think, coming to asphalt, it will teach me a lot more abilities.”

At Southern National Motorsports Park, a NASCAR-sanctioned 4/10-mile oval in Lucama, North Carolina, Deegan immediately took a liking to the track.

“It reminds me of a track that I raced at back in California called Kern County,” Deegan commented. “It’s just a smaller version of that with the banking and the straightaways. It’s a little smaller than Kern County but I’ve raced there and it’s pretty similar and I’m catching on pretty quick.”

Now that the teenager from California is starting to find her groove in asphalt racing, she has decided to make her career in NASCAR. Deegan is a member of the 2017-18 NASCAR NEXT class – a program initiated by NASCAR to shine the spotlight on up-and-coming racers competing in the ranks of NASCAR racing.

“I’m looking more toward the pavement side because I think I can have a bigger, better career with that side,” Deegan elaborated. “I know off road will always be there. That’s where I started and I love it and I can always go back there.”

Already having star power and media recognition does add some pressure for Deegan. Speed51.com, a short track media outlet owned and operated by Bob Dillner, recently said Deegan was the top female racing prospect in the nation in their annual Short Track Draft. However, pressure does not faze the poised and confident racer.

“I think, yes that has put pressure on me,” Deegan remarked. “But, I think pressure is good. It makes me do better.”

Deegan is not the first driver to join the NASCAR ranks from the off-road racing world. Seven-time and defending Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series champion also started out in off road before moving east and running ASA – logging his first laps in a late model at Southern National.

“I think I see all these other people coming into asphalt racing that came from dirt and they have these great abilities, being able to drive a loose car and being more aggressive,” Deegan stated. “So I think it’s definitely going to help me with my off road racing background, especially seeing that there’s been some competitive big names that have come from the same background.”

Along with racing in Super Late Models on the East Coast, Deegan, who is backed by Monster Energy and Toyota, recently tested in a NASCAR K&N Pro Series car for Bill McAnally Racing in Irwindale, California.

E-MAIL ANDY AT [email protected]

Literally everyone: I want Hailie to do well. She’d be great for the sport if she was a contender. Hopefully she improves.

SOI: You hate women.
oh so now you hope she improves lol, ok. I guess you are done with the SHE BETTER WIN by gawd story. You seem to be all over the place

Natalie Decker, Toni Breidinger and others don’t get the hype and praise Deegan gets, rocket scientist. This forum universally criticizes Decker. Balcaen and Briedinger get criticized harshly online.

Deegan is the only one that people aren’t allowed to criticize on here.

There isn’t a bigger supporter of women in racing than me. I’ve worked with several. I watch women, every week, who are capable of taking it to the boys.

Isabella Robusto, who I’ve been a fan of since she ran Winter Nationals in a Legend. Katie Hettinger, who I wrote about at North Wilkesboro while the rest of the media only focused on one driver. I just did something the other week on Phoenyx Kimball, Legends driver who races at Jacksonville and has been impressive. I was on my feet when Kaylee Bryson put on a show at Chili last year.

I wanted Deegan to do well. I still do.

Almost every single person who has genuine connections on this forum has told the same story about her: she’s regressing and she’s not putting in the work.
Katie is badass. Lorin Ranier gave me a heads up so I've been following her. She would have made the race at Martinsville had it not been for the bonehead who wrecked her. Cant wait to see how she does in the World Series at New Smyrna.

I'm a fan of Deegan, I like her whole family, they are racers and they know how to stay in the game.
Shes gonna be in the best equipment known to man, she should win going away!
Wonder how she got there? You will be one of the first to flip with I told ya so if she does well also.

Katie is badass. Lorin Ranier gave me a heads up so I've been following her. She would have made the race at Martinsville had it not been for the bonehead who wrecked her. Cant wait to see how she does in the World Series at New Smyrna.

Would’ve been quite the accomplishment if she made it in, and she should have. Haley Moody is the only women in the modern era of that race to make the field in her first attempt.

Everyone I talked to in the pits thought she got screwed. Not just on the last lap but on the one “three wide” restart.

oh so now you hope she improves lol, ok. I guess you are done with the SHE BETTER WIN by gawd story. You seem to be all over the place
When this experiment began, it was on the promise that Hailie Deegan is talented and can win races. Not “she’s pretty” and “sponsors like her.” The entire point of this is that she’s going to break the glass ceiling.

So, yes, she has to win.

When this experiment began, it was on the promise that Hailie Deegan is talented and can win races. Not “she’s pretty” and “sponsors like her.” The entire point of this is that she’s going to break the glass ceiling.

So, yes, she has to win.
You think women are an experiment? You are going to race in the top series if you have money (backing). You can do the GOT TO WIN all ya want, but without backing, you are going to be racing at a short track somewhere in podunk probably. Like Penske says we aren't racing without a sponsor.

I'm a fan of Deegan, I like her whole family, they are racers and they know how to stay in the game.

Wonder how she got there? You will be one of the first to flip with I told ya so if she does well also.
I dont understand a word you wrote. My post was satire, I dont believe she will win anything but the social media 500

Would’ve been quite the accomplishment if she made it in, and she should have. Haley Moody is the only women in the modern era of that race to make the field in her first attempt.

Everyone I talked to in the pits thought she got screwed. Not just on the last lap but on the one “three wide” restart.
I saw that, how race control didnt is baffling

Back
Top Bottom