Denny Hamlin Appreciation Thread

2 wins and since KB seems to have largely disappeared, he’s comfortably in the WWE villain role.

I'll say it for Marcus. From the village idiot.

1712291276071.png

Robbery. They milled the existing surface, forgot / failed to apply an oil tack-coat to the entirety of the milled asphalt and went with 1 lift (a thin one) rather than 2.

I would demand the complete removal of the contractor’s “work” and a properly supervised / inspected completion of the project.

Denny off the top rope! It’s of my opinion maybe it’s right, maybe it’s wrong but not a good look to have one of the industry leaders that is in charge of half the tracks NASCAR runs on a weekly basis to get into the slop with a driver, especially late at night like this.
IMG_0055.jpeg

Sonoma....8 weeks out. Oh ****.

With all of this Smith/Denny BS, have we lost sight of the fact we go to Sonoma in 8 weeks? WTF they gonna do? They didn't see anything at the test?

Denny off the top rope! It’s of my opinion maybe it’s right, maybe it’s wrong but not a good look to have one of the industry leaders that is in charge of half the tracks NASCAR runs on a weekly basis to get into the slop with a driver, especially late at night like this.
View attachment 77681
It appears Marcus’s skin was as thin as the layer of asphalt put down.

With all of this Smith/Denny BS, have we lost sight of the fact we go to Sonoma in 8 weeks? WTF they gonna do? They didn't see anything at the test?
They’re reworking three different turns today and doing a complete repave of the hairpin.

They’re reworking three different turns today and doing a complete repave of the hairpin.
Can you do this, and have the track ready immediately? They are going to try to run the GT Challenge stuff this weekend? The NASCAR weekend seems like a stretch. WTF?

View attachment 77681

This is a masterclass in how NOT to handle a situation if you're a CEO.

I've never seen a freshly repaved track come apart like this. I know they've had a lot of rain in California and I'd expect some older track surfaces to have some problems - but a brand new, freshly paved track? This just doesn't happen, not even at places that cut corners with repaves.

And Marcus Smith basically said Hamlin should take his tweets down and ask him privately. I'd normally agree with that, and would normally side with a racetrack, but not here. I think every racer is entitled to an explanation and some sort of reassurance that this won't happen at North Wilkesboro.

We didn't even have a chance to get into how the racing will be ruined at Sonoma because of the repave before the track breaking up ensured it. What the hell are they going to do?

I've never seen a freshly repaved track come apart like this. I know they've had a lot of rain in California and I'd expect some older track surfaces to have some problems - but a brand new, freshly paved track? This just doesn't happen, not even at places that cut corners with repaves.

And Marcus Smith basically said Hamlin should take his tweets down and ask him privately. I'd normally agree with that, and would normally side with a racetrack, but not here. I think every racer is entitled to an explanation and some sort of reassurance that this won't happen at North Wilkesboro.
Let's keep in mind that Denny is also an owner....with skin in the game......

Can you do this, and have the track ready immediately? They are going to try to run the GT Challenge stuff this weekend? The NASCAR weekend seems like a stretch. WTF?
They cancelled all track activity today and are aiming for a heavily backloaded weekend on Saturday/Sunday. I get what you’re saying though, seems like it would screw with the whole drying/curing cycle…but it looks like they’re going to try. 🤷‍♂️

F N.Wilkesboro. It wouldn't exist without Marcus Smith. Hamlin has made little if any impact on the sport except his big mouth.

We didn't even have a chance to get into how the racing will be ruined at Sonoma because of the repave before the track breaking up ensured it. What the hell are they going to do?

If I was Steve Phelps or Brett Kennedy, I'm making contingency plans right now to move the race.

Trans-Am races there in a couple weeks, so we'll have a better idea about the condition of the track and if it can hold up. But if they have issues in the Trans-Am race, NASCAR has to cancel the Sonoma race.

They cancelled all track activity today and are aiming for a heavily backloaded weekend on Saturday/Sunday. I get what you’re saying though, seems like it would screw with the whole drying/curing cycle…but it looks like they’re going to try. 🤷‍♂️
Asphalt “mix” technology has come a long way.

The stuff on your driveway barely resembles airport runway / racetrack surfaces. Polymers replace bitumen for high load / shear applications. Cure time for the good stuff is approx 50 hours.

Now the track paving experts appear lol.

40 years in the civil construction/ road building business. I’m qualified to speak to this subject matter.

Asphalt “mix” technology has come a long way.

The stuff on your driveway barely resembles airport runway / racetrack surfaces. Polymers replace bitumen for high load / shear applications. Cure time for the good stuff is approx 50 hours.

40 years in the civil construction/ road building business. I’m qualified to speak to this subject matter.
Who said you weren't. I know what you do. It's fixable.

I've seen patch jobs done in 45 minutes hold up for months, years even.

I didn’t think the patchwork would be so much a question as the hairpin repave. They’re pretty much redoing the whole section from scratch there.

I'm just saying, I do think the issue can be repaired and repaired quickly. If tracks in podunk counties with limited resources can repair a surface in 45 minutes, I'm sure a racetrack near San Francisco with unlimited resources can repair the track in time for their event this weekend or, at the least, before the Trans-Am race.

As @aunty dive said, this stuff has come a long way.

But NASCAR should be prepared to put a contingency plan in place, just in case.

No, no they are not.

You meant to say "AMERICAN taxpayers" and indiscriminately printing money.

I meant North Carolina taxpayers. It may be federal grant money, but North Carolina elected to give millions and millions of dollars to Marcus Smith instead of appropriating more money for infrastructure improvements, rural expansion of high speed internet, or investing in the eastern half of the state where unemployment and poverty dramatically outpace the state and national averages.

I meant North Carolina taxpayers. It may be federal grant money, but North Carolina elected to give millions and millions of dollars to Marcus Smith instead of appropriating more money for infrastructure improvements, rural expansion of high speed internet, or investing in the eastern half of the state where unemployment and poverty dramatically outpace the state and national averages.
Agree with that in that Wilkesboro was sitting and left to rock until SMI got that oh so sweet Tax Money to renovate and rebuild. I think 8 weeks is enough time to figure out whatever happened with that initial repave at Sonoma and then set out to do another. I'm by no means an expert but I'd bet SMI will have it together by then. To me, this is all a minor blip I think its more egregious Marcus decided to play Tit for Tat with a driver where he didnt come off looking good at all. Dennis.. well came out looking like he always does so its a win/no lose situation for him. Marcus had more to lose here in the public eye imo.

Agree with that in that Wilkesboro was sitting and left to rock until SMI got that oh so sweet Tax Money to renovate and rebuild.

I'm not trying to slight Marcus Smith in any way, truthfully. I actually like him and think he's forward thinking. But North Wilkesboro reopened because of Roy Cooper. If it wasn't COVID money, they would've got the money from somewhere else. Same with Rockingham. It's no secret reopening both facilities has been a priority for the state.

I think 8 weeks is enough time to figure out whatever happened with that initial repave at Sonoma and then set out to do another. I'm by no means an expert but I'd bet SMI will have it together by then. To me, this is all a minor blip I think its more egregious Marcus decided to play Tit for Tat with a driver where he didnt come off looking good at all. Dennis.. well came out looking like he always does so its a win/no lose situation for him. Marcus had more to lose here in the public eye imo.

It will be fine. Eight weeks is plenty of time. Marcus Smith should've just let Hamlin run his fingers and ignored him.

Back
Top Bottom