Design the "perfect" Winston Cup track

S

stridsberry

I'm always hearing people say how much they like some tracks, and dislike others - either because of their length, shape, or something else in the design. So here's your chance to have a little fun and design the track that you think would make for the best Winston Cup race. Important things to consider:

1. How long is the track?
2. What shape?
3. Where would it be located? (optional)
4. Concrete or asphalt?
5. How much banking?
6. How would pit road be squezzed in?

And anything else you can think of.

My perfect track would be a somewhat odd distance. I think Richmond is a good length for a short track, but I want to have something a little different, so I would make it 2/3 of a mile long - 3,520 ft. As for shape, I'm going to take a page from the past and make it look somewhat like an egg. Turns 1 & 2 will be 1000 ft. long, 3 & 4 will be 800 ft. long, and the straightaways will be 860 ft. long.

Location? I don't know for sure. Preferably an area that doesn't have a major track for the top series', so I'm just going to say Minnesota for now. Maybe I'll change it later.

This will be an asphalt track, because I don't like how, on the concrete tracks, the rubber builds up on the surface and screws up the cars. Let the track create its own natural bumps. The banking is going to be what every track should have - compound banking (or in technical terms, concave up). Each turn would start at 16 degrees on the white line, and exponentially increase up to 18 degrees against the wall. This should create somewhat of an outside groove right from the start, and it will be even better once the track starts losing grip.

I'm also going to have a nice, abrasive asphalt. Not so much as at Rockingham or Darlington, but enough so that tires are still reasonably important. Pit road will be in an unusual location - the backstretch. There'll be an access road starting just past the flagstand - whcih will be around the 500 ft. point of the frontstretch - going onto a pit road that starts in turn 2, and ends between turns 3 and 4.

Race length will be 450 laps, or 300 miles. Nice odd lap distance to go with the odd length. Everyone come on out to the Twin City 450 at the Minneapolis Motor Speedway in Minneapolis, Minnesota, okay?

3.0 miles
Oval
Henderson, Nevada
Concrete
Turns banked 36° Straights 1 mile banked 12°
4-Turns

450 miles, bout 150 laps. One killer event I tell ya what, speeds up to a murderous 200mph !! Now that will truly reveal my evil plan for world domination, oh whoops, shouldnt have included that last line in there.

When do your tics go on sale, strids?

Sounds like a winner to me. However, Minnesota is a fur piece from Texas. ;)

I'd like another Richmond, with a bit more banking. Definitely asphalt.

Actually, I'd like to go back to the original Bristol with asphalt. Watched some great races before the concrete came.

Another important factor that I plum forgot: how wide willl the track be? I'll make mine 60 ft. wide in the straightaways and 70 ft. wide in the turns. And the straighaway banking would be 6 degrees, just about enough to let the rain roll off. :)

1 1/2 mi
oval
Memphis, Tn.
asphalt
turns 30 degrees
pit road would b like Richmond
wide enought to run 4 wide in back streach

The specifics:

- 3 mile oval / road course combo
- Cars would start off on the front stretch of course.
- Front stretch would be banked about 10 degrees.
- No dogleg or anything like that, just a straight frontstretch.
- Turn 1/2 would be banked progressively starting at 12 degrees up to 14 degrees.
- After turn 2 the course becomes a road course. The road course is more technical (think Infineon) at the beginning, and towards the end it becomes a more speed oriented road course (think a faster Watkins Glen).
- The beginning of the road course has none to little banking, towards the speed portion of the road course more banking is introduced.
- The end of the road course blends in with turn 3/4 which is banked progressively from 27 degrees to 29 degrees.
- Pits are in the frontstretch.

Thats a lap!

More specifics:

- The frontstetch will be elevated about 15 feet from the rest of the track. The turns would be at ground level. The interior road course portion would actually be around 15 feet below the ground level. What I would plan to do is having grandstands surrounding the whole track, but on the exterior of turns 1/2 and 3/4 I would have an open elevated field for camping and RV'ing. What this does is provide a total view of the track for every angle possible, because the interior is sunken in so it makes it easier to see.
- The reason I would make a track like this is because it combines high speed high bank racing which is aero sensitive, low speed low bank racing to give an aspect of the short tracks, and a road course to put the driving back in the hands of the driver. The setups for this track would be total compromise because there will never be a perfect setup because of the differences in the track, so it will rely heavily on the driver.
- Track would be asphalt, however Im kind of inclined to make the turns concrete.
- Track would be very wide in turn 3/4 and the fast portion of the road course, and a little tighter in turn 1/2 and the technical portion of the road course.

That is all.

How about a figure eight? :eek:

Nah...just kidding. Although some "fans" might actually like it for a few minutes <_<

My type of track would be like the new Houston Superspeedway with a Road Course like Watkins Glenn in it

I would love to see a 2 mile oval with a 'dogleg' in the back stretch similar to the old Trenton layout. If not that I can think of two safe tracks that would be a great part of the series: Road America and Mid-Ohio Sports car course; yes they are road courses and they would be a real challange for the drivers talent.

RobbyG Fan has hit it perfectly.... I would love to see a combination track. The drivers / crews would complain about not being able to set the car up, but hey, that's why they make the big bucks. Besides, all the teams would face the same track.

You forgot to find a location though.... Just don't put it too far from Birmingham, AL. (and no, don't say bulldoze 'Dega and put it there - I AM a 'Dega fan).

3/4 miles Martinsville type track.
concrete
6 deg. straits
12 deg. corners
pits on front strait.

Located in south Washington state.

Back
Top Bottom