Detroit Double Grand Prix

Can't see what all the fuss is about. Stick and ball broadcasts advertise other games coming up on their networks all the time. There isn't much auto racing to advertise, ABC/ESPN has two choices, the Indy car and the Nascar. I would bet they paid a pretty penny to broadcast Nationwide compared to Indycar. Dollars and cents..they will charge a bunch for N'Wide commercials..We will see plenty in Nationwide too many.

Not commercials, SOT, the little teases when they come back from commercials. "Join us for two weeks at blah to see blah race at blah blah."

Between the two races, I bet they plugged the Nationwide race at Iowa four or five times coming back from commercial. I remember because Marty Reid (god bless his soul) tried to tie in IndyCar by explaining at the end of every live read that IndyCar will also be visiting Iowa in a few weeks. Unfortunately, no mention of the IndyCar race at Texas.

Can't see what all the fuss is about. Stick and ball broadcasts advertise other games coming up on their networks all the time. There isn't much auto racing to advertise, ABC/ESPN has two choices, the Indy car and the Nascar. I would bet they paid a pretty penny to broadcast Nationwide compared to Indycar. Dollars and cents..they will charge a bunch for N'Wide commercials..We will see plenty in Nationwide too many.

I don't watch the Nationwide Series anymore but do they promote the IndyCar races during those broadcasts? For some reason, I doubt it. It's more likely they promote upcoming NASCAR races and Yankee Danky Doodle Shyte baseball. It's a slap in the face to IndyCar. If Texas was on NBCSN, it'd be one thing but they were basically telling IndyCar viewers not to watch the next race and to watch NASCAR instead.

IndyCar should've given the full series to NBC since they care about the series.

This, exactly. I don't expect ABC to plug an IndyCar race on NBC Sports Net, but they could at least plug another IndyCar race on their own freaking network.

Especially at a track like Texas, which is popular with NASCAR fans. If any casual NASCAR fans had been watching, they might have thought "Oh, I like Texas, maybe'll tune in next Saturday night!"

Robin Miller explained in a Speed column a few weeks ago that IndyCar's TV contract says that ABC/ESPN gets first pick to air any IndyCar races they want, and NBC Sports Net gets the leftovers. Well, if ABC is going to nab the oval races (which are, admittedly, more exciting to the unwashed masses and get better ratings) then at least they could promote the ******* things.

ESPN/ABC don't even WANT IndyCar. All they want was the Indianapolis 500 and IndyCar told them they had to air five other races if they were going to keep Indy. It was understandable the first time around since the rest was on VERSUS. But when VERSUS fell under the NBC banner, IndyCar should've used their brains and told ESPN they didn't need them anymore since they had a new home for the 500. Instead, they shot their foot off because "The Indianapolis 500 on ABC: A Memorial Day Weekend Tradition" was more important to them than the future of the series as a whole.

IndyCar gets 100% of the blame.

I don't watch the Nationwide Series anymore but do they promote the IndyCar races during those broadcasts? For some reason, I doubt it. It's more likely they promote upcoming NASCAR races and Yankee Danky Doodle Shyte baseball. It's a slap in the face to IndyCar. If Texas was on NBCSN, it'd be one thing but they were basically telling IndyCar viewers not to watch the next race and to watch NASCAR instead.

IndyCar should've given the full series to NBC since they care about the series.

"sho me tha $$" --nw gets bout 2 million views........indycar---1/5 as many........except indy 500.

espn/abc wantin future nw & sprint cup fall races ...........can use same production trucks/crew/etc...both races....same weekend. while fox is doin nfl.

"sho me tha $$" --nw gets bout 2 million views........indycar---1/5 as many........except indy 500.

espn/abc wantin future nw & sprint cup fall races ...........can use same production trucks/crew/etc...both races....same weekend. while fox is doin nfl.

The only way ESPN gets Sprint Cup in the future is if NBC allows it. ;)

yep--back ta "sho me tha $$"

only unsigned long term sports deals left are nascar....nba....big 10... i think ?

NASCAR ends up on NBC. I don't see ESPN in the equation. Maybe they get the Chase but I'm doubting that. NBC will outbid ESPN and they'll get everything they want. Nationwide on NBCSN or CNBC. Sprint Cup on NBC and NBCSN. Plus, CNBC and MSNBC, which are available in almost every home, are still wide open in case of NFL/NHL/F1/CFB overlap. NBC doesn't have near as many sports and more channels than ESPN.

But the bottom line is, they'll outbid ESPN. Broadcast coverage of the Chase is a necessity that NASCAR doesn't currently enjoy. Also, ESPN doesn't want Nationwide. NBC Sports Network does.

Also, negotiations are supposedly coming to a close and the 2015 deal should be announced soon. All I'm saying is, NBC Sports isn't increasing how much it covers NASCAR on NBCSports.com for nothing. And they aren't bagging motorsports television programming left and right for nothing.

we'll see. espn seems pleased w/ nw on saturday.......reports i read.
an good cross marketin w/ college football.

nascar.....on msnbc or cnbc !! ha! never happen ! not even k/n series !

an fox takes over speed this summer/fall . who knows w/ that ?

we'll see. espn seems pleased w/ nw on saturday.......reports i read.
an good cross marketin w/ college football.

nascar.....on msnbc or cnbc !! ha! never happen ! not even k/n series !

an fox takes over speed this summer/fall . who knows w/ that ?

ESPN's so pleased with NASCAR that they made no mention of it during ESPN Upfront 2013 where they talked about every other sport. They're so committed to NASCAR they they're going to move NASCAR Now to the overnight hours on ESPN2 or ESPNews to make room for a soccer program. They enjoy Nationwide so much that they've been moving races to ESPNews.

NBC will get the Sprint Cup Series because they want it more and, quite honestly, they need it more. They'll get the Nationwide Series because they want it and have room for it. ESPN might get the Chase if NBC allows it, and they might.

The writing's on the wall. NBC's not investing the kind of money they have been in to other forms of auto racing for nothing.

fox probably overpaid. maybe nbc will too ? just so espn don't get it.

big pissin contest w/ 'em all now.

i still go w/ espn fall nw-n-cup combo w/ same production crew.

fox probably overpaid. maybe nbc will too ? just so espn don't get it.

big pissin contest w/ 'em all now.

i still go w/ espn fall nw-n-cup combo w/ same production crew.

FOX overpaid because they wanted NASCAR to be on FOX Sports 1 - and if NBC ends up with all of ESPN's portion, FOX will get more races then they have. NBC will do the same to get Nationwide on NBCSN.

Honestly, as long as TNT's out, I'll be happy. I don't see the Nationwide Series on ESPN though. It might even come down to ESPN and NBC working out a deal among themselves where they agree to have Nationwide on NBCSN with the summer stretch of the Cup Series on NBC and NBCSN and ESPN getting the Chase. And they'd be smart to do that because FOX Sports 1 is going to destroy ESPN and NBCSN just like FOX News Channel is doing to CNN and MSNBC.

because FOX Sports 1 is going to destroy ESPN and NBCSN just like FOX News Channel is doing to CNN and MSNBC.

I don't know about that. The political reasons that made FNC popular with Middle America won't translate to sports coverage.

I don't know about that. The political reasons that made FNC popular with Middle America won't translate to sports coverage.

Not necessarily. FOX became popular with Middle America by claiming that every other network had a liberal bias. They still do this in fact and still claim they're the only ones that cover stories that were actually broken by other networks.

FOX Sports can easily provide more coverage of sports teams that don't get talked about on ESPN. There's a perceived Northeast bias with ESPN. For the most part, they only cover the big market teams (Boston, New York and Dallas). They cover the "popular" teams. FOX Sports can get A LOT of viewers by simply talking about teams in Detroit, Cleveland, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Baltimore, Seattle, Minnesota, Ohio and so on.

It's the same strategy that FOX News employed - talk about stories that nobody else is talking about. SportsCenter sucks and it needs a formidable opponent. FS1 is it.

That said, I don't think FS1, as a sports channel, can go around bashing ESPN all the time to get ratings the way FOX News bashes the rest of the media and claims they're the only ones who cover stories that the other networks actually broke.

Not necessarily. FOX became popular with Middle America by claiming that every other network had a liberal bias. They still do this in fact and still claim they're the only ones that cover stories that were actually broken by other networks.

FOX Sports can easily provide more coverage of sports teams that don't get talked about on ESPN. There's a perceived Northeast bias with ESPN. For the most part, they only cover the big market teams (Boston, New York and Dallas). They cover the "popular" teams. FOX Sports can get A LOT of viewers by simply talking about teams in Detroit, Cleveland, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Baltimore, Seattle, Minnesota, Ohio and so on.

It's the same strategy that FOX News employed - talk about stories that nobody else is talking about. SportsCenter sucks and it needs a formidable opponent. FS1 is it.

That said, I don't think FS1, as a sports channel, can go around bashing ESPN all the time to get ratings the way FOX News bashes the rest of the media and claims they're the only ones who cover stories that the other networks actually broke.

Yeah, but the reason that ESPN talks about Boston and New York teams so much and broadcasts their games so much is that they have a huge audience up there. The fact they're based in the Connecticut (the second most famous Bristol in sports, lol) plays little into it. Look at the World Series / NBA finals / Stanley Cup finals ratings nationwide when a team from New York/Boston/Los Angeles is in it and when they aren't. I don't know if FS1 will beat ESPN on a nationwide level in ratings if they have a bias towards Oklahoma City Thunder and Kansas City Royals news.

Back
Top Bottom