Did anyone watch the race with a new fan?

NJJammer

Team Owner
I was curious if anyone had the experience of watching the 500 with a new fan and if they felt it was a good experience for that new fan?

I'm just looking for input from a fresh set of eyes. Those eyes are the future of the sport and I would love to know how a "newbie" experienced and enjoyed the race. Did they understand the rules, etc? Were they impressed with the speed and magnitude of the race?

That sort of thing.

I was curious if anyone had the experience of watching the 500 with a new fan and if they felt it was a good experience for that new fan?

I'm just looking for input from a fresh set of eyes. Those eyes are the future of the sport and I would love to know how a "newbie" experienced and enjoyed the race. Did they understand the rules, etc? Were they impressed with the speed and magnitude of the race?

That sort of thing.

I watched by myself on the installment plan as I had a function I needed to be at around mid race and I didn't get home until around 9:30. The race wasn't promoted well in my area though and none of the bars or restaurants seemed to be doing anything and none of the supermarkets advertised any kind of ready to eat foodstuff. Back in the 80's Nascar was dead in my area and then became very popular but it has gone back to being dead again.

That sort of thing.

The old fans were having some difficulty with the new rules ......... a new fan would be lost

Unfortunately we don't have a nice and handy .PDF for our sport like a few of the other big sports. NASCAR not long ago said they'd get with the program and make it available. Never happened.

http://operations.nfl.com/media/2224/2016-nfl-rulebook.pdf

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2016/official_baseball_rules.pdf

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/1314-nba-rule-book.pdf

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2015-2016-Interactive-rulebook.pdf
The Rules of Golf and the Decisions book are massive documents.

As I stated in another thread..... My son and I took in 4 days of Daytona this past week.
He technically is not a new "racing" fan. He raced karts as a kid and watched his brother race sprints and late models on dirt. However he has had no interest in NASCAR since he was very young.
I found myself explaining all the changes that have taken place since he last watched. (I have to admit I was a little embarrassed that I had to explain the rules to a sport so seemingly simple). I really didn't think he would remain interested through one full evening of racing
HOWEVER ...... He was amazed with the speed and the action from the first lap of the duels to the last lap of the 500!
We both enjoyed the jockeying leading up to the end of the segments and the overall experience as well. He is already trying to convince his friends and myself to come back down for Homestead!!!! SCORE!

As I stated in another thread..... My son and I took in 4 days of Daytona this past week.
He technically is not a new "racing" fan. He raced karts as a kid and watched his brother race sprints and late models on dirt. However he has had no interest in NASCAR since he was very young.
I found myself explaining all the changes that have taken place since he last watched. (I have to admit I was a little embarrassed that I had to explain the rules to a sport so seemingly simple). I really didn't think he would remain interested through one full evening of racing
HOWEVER ...... He was amazed with the speed and the action from the first lap of the duels to the last lap of the 500!
We both enjoyed the jockeying leading up to the end of the segments and the overall experience as well. He is already trying to convince his friends and myself to come back down for Homestead!!!! SCORE!
That's the kind of positive feedback I was looking for (and that NASCAR sorely needs.)

Glad you guys had a wonderful experience. Go to Homestead and enjoy!

I'm glad he got to see the Duals. I think the first one was the best race of the weekend. It went downhill from there, bottoming out around 5:00 pm Saturday, showing only minor improvement Sunday.

I'm glad he got to see the Duals. I think the first one was the best race of the weekend. It went downhill from there, bottoming out around 5:00 pm Saturday, showing only minor improvement Sunday.
From the live perspective it bottomed on the 2nd lap of the truck race. After that it was a steady improvement.
Disclaimer.... Life long Blaney fan. LOL

That's the kind of positive feedback I was looking for (and that NASCAR sorely needs.)

Glad you guys had a wonderful experience. Go to Homestead and enjoy!
Definitely a welcome surprise! I'm going to start on Homestead plans soon and from what I heard from Jeff Gluck, I think Brian may finally be losing it totally!
Win Win Win

Didn't watch the race with a new fan but have several in my circle that have become avid fans and attend races annually with the last few years.

Fantasy got them into it and once they picked a driver to follow they were hooked. See Brian it's that easy ;)

Didn't watch the race with a new fan but have several in my circle that have become avid fans and attend races annually with the last few years.

Fantasy got them into it and once they picked a driver to follow they were hooked. See Brian it's that easy ;)
I forgot about that angle. My son picked a fantasy team before the duels and did well! LOL.
I haven't created a race fan....... I've created a gambler!:eek:

Unfortunately we don't have a nice and handy .PDF for our sport like a few of the other big sports. NASCAR not long ago said they'd get with the program and make it available. Never happened.

http://operations.nfl.com/media/2224/2016-nfl-rulebook.pdf

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2016/official_baseball_rules.pdf

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/1314-nba-rule-book.pdf

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2015-2016-Interactive-rulebook.pdf

I've had one of Nascar's rule books for some time now.

large_1036325903.jpg

It seems to me that anyone newly exposed to the speed and the spectacle and interested enough to continue as a spectator would quickly learn the rules.

They're uncomplicated relative to those of some other sports.

Most people would rather watch a Zamboni.

The old fans were having some difficulty with the new rules ......... a new fan would be lost

I thought FOX did a great job explaining the new rules at an elementary level. I thought it would be more confusing than it was.

I don't pay attention to points anyway so it doesn't matter to me.

No I actually watched with one of those old fans(Smoke fan) that thought NASCAR has gone to hell with the changes and doesn't like SHR now because they switched to Ford. He was at my house so he watched and didn't really mind the segments or the repair rule. Didn't find a new driver though.

I watched the race at my local bar, probably half NASCAR fans, the other half were spilt between having watched a few races in the past and never seen a race.

The rules really weren't hard to explain, you don't need to fully understand what a playoff point is to enjoy watching a race. There was some confusion over the segments and the caution laps being counted after one was a point of some discussion

Might try to take one of my roommates up to Atlanta this weekend but if that doesn't work out he still wants to at least check it out on TV. He already asked how the new format works and was pretty intrigued by it.

The reason there is no rulebook is because, the rules are changed before they can get the first copy off of the press.

Wife and I attended our first race Sunday. Had a blast. Scored 2 Hot Passes from the 42 team. Was awesome being in the pit box area! Doubt well go again, but it was a great atmosphere to experience.
Do try to go to another race -- pick something very different -- such as Martinsville or Richmond.

Back
Top Bottom