did you catch that?

G

ghettozoe03

i dotn know if yall have already discussed it but i remember in the race he was like man you know what that looked like? soem thing the black number 3 would do? manit backfired with his wreck. lesson of the story never compare yourself to earnhardt cuz you wont compare.

True, but out of all the drivers there's only two that come closer than others, and they are Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch ( they are both agressive and have the fire, like Dale did). True they dont have the wins or the championships or the rights but out of all the Winston Cup drivers they are the closest I think to actually being able to compare themselves.

I agree Ward22.

Earnhardt was nothing at 24.Busch is.Period.And Stewart is going to be in a league of his own pretty soon.

Thats right 97forever but put Kurt in a car that drives like a dump truck and not like a cadillac and Kurt would be nothing at 24. He would have never made it twenty years ago. Cale, Earnhardt, Pearson and the Allisons would have ate him for lunch and spit him out.

Ya can't compare the different time periods. How do you think Cale, Pearson or the Allisons would do driving the cars today? Yeah, they'd be eatin up to.

Exactly what I'm saying, different set of rules and driving styles and different types of cars. to many differences to compare.

I agree as well in that you cant compare the time periods on the one hand.On the other though it is excactly the same thing.Men in machines going in circles wanting to beat the other guys.Could Kurt or Tony have run with Bobby and Cale?Could Bobby and Cale have run with the guys these days?No way to prove either way.The only way to think of it is to pluck each driver from their time period[at their peak]and drop them on a neutral track in truly identical cars and have it out.

I read in some magazine or the other a 'fantasy'type race of Champions where the writers tried to do this very thing.Cant remember which magazine it was,but it was pretty fun stuff.Yeah,it's pointless and non-provable----but still fun reading! :)

So should we go ahead and prepare Dale for sainthood, or is that next year?

Dale was a fantastic driver. When he chose to be. The rest of the time he was a spin artist and not one thing more. How this qualifies him as being above reproach or comparison is beyond me, and it is my own personal opinion that many of the people who choose to dedicate their lives to making sure no one ever DOES get compared to him need therapy yesterday.

He wasn't even the best driver of his era IMO. Not denying the statistics and don't waste your breath trying to change my mind. Whatever it is you are about to type, I've already heard it.

Kurt's as ****y as Dale. If that makes some uncomfortable, maybe it's time to move forward with life. It was endearing from Dale, but enraging from Kurt for whatever reason. I find the whole thing hilarious. And most of the laughter is reserved for the worshippers who just can't let go.

OK, fire away.

Hey I was never a big Dale fan. I just think him and busch can't be compared they are too different. I think Dale was a good driver and a very experienced driver. Busch is also a good driver but still in the begining of his career, how can they be compared?

I've heard a lot of old timers compare Busch to Earnhardt Sr. Both were brash, aggressive, had buckets full of talent and both didn't take crap off nobody.

I think the comparison is spot on.

Originally posted by bowtie@Mar 5 2003, 12:22 AM
Thats right 97forever but put Kurt in a car that drives like a dump truck and not like a cadillac and Kurt would be nothing at 24. He would have never made it twenty years ago. Cale, Earnhardt, Pearson and the Allisons would have ate him for lunch and spit him out.
Maybe you didn't know so I'll fill ya in...Kurt Busch has been racing for a looooong time. People don't just fall from the heavens into a NASCAR ride. Well...some do, but the others earned it.

And I for one remember seeing Dale in the LMS (now Busch Grand National) Series. I became a fan then in fact, because he was a talented driver. After he got hooked up with Sniffles, his style changed. That's when I jumped ship and burned all my Dale Earnhardt stuff, probably worth a small fortune now. In his early days, Dale was a great driver only. I hope Kurt doesn't start the crap that Dale did later in his career.

I have absolutely no problems with comparing drivers of the past, present, or future. The much ballyhooed "modern era" of NASCAR boils down to two things in my point of view. The schedule changed and the money grew. The cars did not undergo some miraculous overnight transformation simply because Winston lent its name and money to the series.

As for Kurt, in my mind he always reminds me more of DW, brash, outspoken, take no prisoners, ****y, catch me if you can, pass me if you dare, I don't care how long you been racing attitude. And can flat out drive a racecar.

Put him a car that handle like a dump truck, he'll drive it like it handles like a dump truck. Put Fireball or David in a sleak aero carriage and they'll drive the dem wheels off it too. Give 'em a steering wheel and a gas pedal, they will race it.

My 2 cents...

If I had to compare Earnhardt to anybody, it would either be Stewart or Harvick.. yes, I said Harvick. I think Stewart has the compassion, the emotion, the drive, the will, and the mindset to get the job done.. just like Earnhardt did. Harvick is the same exact way... he doesn't care about what anybody else says. He aint afraid to use the bumper a little bit, he aint afraid to speak his mind, he aint afraid to move somebody outta the way,plain and simple.. the boy can drive the wheels off a race car, and I see great things for him in his career in that Goodwrench car..

Originally posted by bowtie@Mar 5 2003, 05:22 AM
I think Busch could drive a dump truck and be competitive. He reminds me more of DW than DE. Seceral drivers have this capability, some make it look easy and some make it look hard.

No person who has watched or knows the style of the drivers of the past should be quick to sell Pearson or Yarborough short when comparing them to the drivers of today. Yarborough was a fierce competitor with his no-holds barred driving style.
On the other hand, Pearson wanted to win just as much but was more reserved in his style. Where Yarborough would not hesitate to gain his position, Pearson used his head and accomplished the same thing, making it look easy. Do not make the mistake of thinking Pearson or Yarborough were not as qualified as the modern day driver.

Dale Earnhardt won one-third of his races by pushing others out of his way. A less than admirable attribute. The sad part is he didn't need to play the part of a schoolyard bully.

Pearson established his reputation by driving smart. Of course the speculation of an imaginary contest between Pearson, Yarborough, Earnhardt, Allison, Petty, Lorenzen, Turner, Weatherly and Lund might be interesting, there is no way an outcome to this visioned event could be determined.

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan@Mar 5 2003, 08:19 AM
and it is my own personal opinion that many of the people who choose to dedicate their lives to making sure no one ever DOES get compared to him need therapy yesterday. 

since I've been reading this board, you have seemed to dedicate your life to degrading and berating anything Earnhardt or DEI...so does that mean you need therapy too?...because you sure spend alot of time on it.....and before you go there, I don't think Dale was a saint. so don't try to play this off as that....you like to point the finger at the diehard Earnhardt fans and say they need therapy, but your just as bad....

Last I checked this was a thread about Earnhardt. Are people that don't like him not allowed to post in threads about Earnhardt?

nowhere did I say they couldn't.....was replying to the therapy remark...TN seems as obesessed as the people he says needs therapy....has nothin to do with driver likes or dislikes.....

I am most definitely getting stupider as I get older!!

I thought the thread was about Kurt Busch, DEM, shut my mouth wide open! :eek:

Are we talking about the Las Vegas race? I thought the driver who radioed into his crew and said "I bet that reminded ya of the black 3" was Junior.

Did he really say that???

Man, I thought he didn't like that comparison...that's just sad.

Originally posted by paul@Mar 5 2003, 10:08 AM
Did he really say that???

Man, I thought he didn't like that comparison...that's just sad.
Yeah, I'm fairly certain it was Junior who called and in and made the reference to #3.

Well no wonder all they do is play up the Sr>Jr junk...he's playing it up. Guess that's his bread and butter.

My last amount of respect for Jr just went out the window. :angry:

Well, don't take my word for it. Personally I thought that race was a tad on the boring side so I didn't pay full attention. But you can see for yourself tonight on Speed Channel.

Originally posted by paul@Mar 5 2003, 09:19 AM
Well no wonder all they do is play up the Sr>Jr junk...he's playing it up. Guess that's his bread and butter.

My last amount of respect for Jr just went out the window. :angry:
Imagine that, the thread got back to bashing Junior.

Saying I don't have respect for him is "bashing"? You need thicker skin my friend.

I didn't hear that comment so I didin't know who said it.

paul, You loose all respect for Jr when he compared himself to his father but it doesn't bother you when you thought kurt said it?

Before you type it I don't really like Jr. comparing himself to Big E. because Jr. is his on person. But wouldn't you consider yourself more comparable to you

Originally posted by paul@Mar 5 2003, 09:35 AM
Saying I don't have respect for him is "bashing"? You need thicker skin my friend.
Saying it a million times over does get sickening. You need a new hobby

Originally posted by The_Mad_Hatter@Mar 5 2003, 10:07 AM
Are we talking about the Las Vegas race? I thought the driver who radioed into his crew and said "I bet that reminded ya of the black 3" was Junior.
I'm pretty sure it was jr. too, but I think Busch compares better with Sr. Than Jr. does.

Originally posted by paul@Mar 5 2003, 10:39 AM
Jr drives nothing, NOTHING, like his father.
I never knew he was suppose to...
Ya know, Jr is his own person... Jr isn't Dale Sr..

Well, I believed that too. And also believed Jr didn't like the comparison...but we just found out differently. :(

What in the blue hell are we talkin' about here? Jr didn't like what comparison?!

But there he is on the radio..."Did that remind you of the black #3?"

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom