Digital Dashboards coming to NASCAR

SpeedPagan

The iRacing Guru
VqLZGxs.jpg

So, anyone know anything about this?

We had a thread on this a while back when they first talked about it. Don't know much about it but I bet you that people find a way to complain about it.

Oops sorry, I didn't see that thread. I saw this over on r/NASCAR and thought it was a new topic. It actually sounds pretty cool. I'm assuming it's going to be something like this?

If it ain't broke we'll fix the crap out of it... and make the teams pay.

I wonder how much information about the car it'll give the crew chief. I mean if it's digital dash, then there's a computer behind it. I wonder if NASCAR is going to allow the dash's computer to "talk" to the crew chief.

We had a thread on this a while back when they first talked about it. Don't know much about it but I bet you that people find a way to complain about it.
I doubt that. I mean, NASCAR fans don't complain about everything.
If it ain't broke we'll fix the crap out of it... and make the teams pay.
Nevermind.

I think they'll eventually have a wheel setup similar to F1 cars:
Sauber-C33-steering-wheel.jpg

Man, they are trying really hard to make NASCAR as uprofitiable and inaccessible as possible.

Unless this was agreed on by all owners and drivers, whats the point?

They are en route

I still doubt it. I mean your regular street cars aren't that complicated outside of the fancy smacy electronics. The chassis and the suspension system itself is still pretty simple.

seems like they they are trying to take the stock out of stock car racing..... :(

I doubt it, stock cars aren't as complicated as F1 or IndyCars.
I somewhat agree with you; I doubt it will get that complicated for a long while. But with the addition of digital dashboards the drivers will want to have control over things such as what information is being displayed to them and the brightness level of the dash, and adding controls onto the wheel itself is the only way to give the driver control over that.

It would be nice to see Nascar add a DRS button though. That would add a lot of extra passing during the races. ;)

Kinda useless unless they have a dedicated in car cam on the dashboard.So I can see what the driver does.:rolleyes:

My Pontiac had a thing that told me how much fuel I had left, how many miles I could run, what my average speed was during my trip and what my tire pressures were. It would be interesting if that was a thing in NASCAR. It puts more in the drivers' hands but, at the same time, takes a lot out of the crew chiefs' hands.

We as fans need to decide what we want.....and let NASCAR know. If we want traction controls and turbos and awd, the sport will never be the same. Maybe the NASCAR brass feel that allowing what you mention Andy is a "slippery slope" and will lead to the things I just mentioned, I dont know

We as fans need to decide what we want.....and let NASCAR know. If we want traction controls and turbos and awd, the sport will never be the same. Maybe the NASCAR brass feel that allowing what you mention Andy is a "slippery slope" and will lead to the things I just mentioned, I dont know
The fans decide???? Really???

if the fans had a major backlash I am sure theyd have to listen maybe Im a romantic

I see a lot of discussion of cost in this thread. Do we know if this costs more or less than the current analog systems?

If it's customizable by driver, maybe each driver will own his dashboard panel, like they do with seats and helmets.

I'm betting it still won't show miles per hour, for whatever reason NASCAR continues to avoid that. "Hey, we're going to regulate pit road speed based on a criteria the drivers have no accurate way to measure. That makes for more controversy, penalties, etc."

I see a lot of discussion of cost in this thread. Do we know if this costs more or less than the current analog systems?

If it's customizable by driver, maybe each driver will own his dashboard panel, like they do with seats and helmets.

I'm betting it still won't show miles per hour, for whatever reason NASCAR continues to avoid that. "Hey, we're going to regulate pit road speed based on a criteria the drivers have no accurate way to measure. That makes for more controversy, penalties, etc."

do they think drivers will let off if they know how fast they are going?

do they really need this to know if they are going faster then the car in front of them?

I can't see why it is mandatory in 2016. Unless it follows the design above, the drivers will hate it. They are used to needles, and needles are the easiest to read. Going to plain numbers is hard to read and takes much longer to "read" (observe and process) a digital number than an analog gauge.

There's no "computer" behind the dash. It plugs into the McLaren ECU. So no, it wont be sending data to the pits.

Exhibit A:

I can't see why it is mandatory in 2016. Unless it follows the design above, the drivers will hate it. They are used to needles, and needles are the easiest to read. Going to plain numbers is hard to read and takes much longer to "read" (observe and process) a digital number than an analog gauge.

There's no "computer" behind the dash. It plugs into the McLaren ECU. So no, it wont be sending data to the pits.

Exhibit A:

Agreed. There is a reason why fighter planes for the most part ALL have needles. Even if they are digital needles they are needles. They are the easiest to quickly read

I like the analog, especially at night.
Less speeding penalties on Pit Road anyways

When I think digital gauges... I think Honda Civic. Not racecars. I like old school analog mechanical gauges. They had it wired(pun) when they got their gauges to all have bitchin color-changing lights and stuff... But it is what it is. Not to mention the lack of a needle. (Something like the LFA dash would be nice)

Sorry for 'bitching'... Wait no I'm not.

if the fans had a major backlash I am sure theyd have to listen maybe Im a romantic

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I think digital gauges... I think Honda Civic. Not racecars. I like old school analog mechanical gauges. They had it wired(pun) when they got their gauges to all have bitchin color-changing lights and stuff... But it is what it is. Not to mention the lack of a needle. (Something like the LFA dash would be nice)

Sorry for 'bitching'... Wait no I'm not.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah yeah :rolleyes:

I doubt it, stock cars aren't as complicated as F1 or IndyCars.
A NASCAR race car is probably more complicated than the Dallara chassis used in the IRL and IndyCar up until the introduction the introduction of aero kits next year.

Back
Top Bottom