Dirt Track Racing News

IMG_2758.png

No SRX on the Eldora Speedway schedule.

You also got the Big Deal which is paying 100k to win

Immediately reminded of West Virginia Motor Speedway reopening and promptly going back into hibernation. That's also a 5/8 mile dirt track and simply put, most teams don't want to invest in the horsepower to be competitive somewhere like that (in addition to concerns about the speeds).

Immediately reminded of West Virginia Motor Speedway reopening and promptly going back into hibernation. That's also a 5/8 mile dirt track and simply put, most teams don't want to invest in the horsepower to be competitive somewhere like that (in addition to concerns about the speeds).
I remember when they came back and had a sprint car race Anthony Macri about lapped the field.

They can always run the smaller track at Pennsboro.

It looks like they have plans to build a 1/4 mile track, but for now they are running the larger one?
The plan was to resize it to a 1/4 and you can see photos on their Facebook page of what that was gonna look like. They're not deciding against that and will instead revamp the existing egg shaped 5/8 mile track. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested to see it run but IDK if that's something competitors want long term. For the XR Series maybe that isn't a concern if they go special event only and it's sustainable.

That is what I said lol.
I should have said "now deciding against that" - there won't be a 1/4 mile.

Someone in the FB thread about the announcement asked about the kart track and that's what the smaller not 1/4 mile is. It's probably 1/8 or 1/10 mile.

Someone in the FB thread about the announcement asked about the kart track and that's what the smaller not 1/4 mile is. It's probably 1/8 or 1/10 mile.

Nope, nope.

When the promoter of the track who has a five year lease on the property says:
“Big tracks just don’t work any longer,” Braun said. “The drivers want shorter tracks. Why build a big track no one would come to it?”

Braun cited the success of XR-promoted events at ¼-mile bullrings while bigger tracks, such as the nearby 5/8-mile West Virginia Motor Speedway, struggled with car counts.

I'll go with what he is saying.

When the promoter of the track who has a five year lease on the property says:
“Big tracks just don’t work any longer,” Braun said. “The drivers want shorter tracks. Why build a big track no one would come to it?”

Braun cited the success of XR-promoted events at ¼-mile bullrings while bigger tracks, such as the nearby 5/8-mile West Virginia Motor Speedway, struggled with car counts.

I'll go with what he is saying.

Why don’t you go argue somewhere else like the Chili Bowl or a midget thread. This is about a new event revival quit trying to bash and persuade people & racetracks from showing up.

Why don’t you go argue somewhere else like the Chili Bowl or a midget thread. This is about a new event revival quit trying to bash and persuade people & racetracks from showing up.
What are you talking about? Maybe you need to read the article that has numerous quotes by the new lessee about plans for the track sherlock? Big tracks don't draw simpleton.

What are you talking about? Maybe you need to read the article that has numerous quotes by the new lessee about plans for the track sherlock? Big tracks don't draw simpleton.

Ok. So take your negative insults back to your sprint car & midget threads. It isn’t needed here. Plenty of “big tracks” are able to stay open.

Ok. So take your negative insults back to your sprint car & midget threads. It isn’t needed here. Plenty of “big tracks” are able to stay open.
You could be right, but the promoter at this track doesn't think so. Maybe you can talk him out of changing to a smaller track.

reality:
The new ¼-mile will incorporate the iconic grandstand carved into the hillside. Braun’s crew will add grandstands for Tier 1 seating. The hillside seating will make up Tiers 2 and 3. On top will be luxury suites. The plans call to renovate all existing buildings.

XR Events entered into a five-year lease with the board of the Ritchie County Fairgrounds.

They started a build of a 1/4 mile track next to front straight. A drone shot few months ago shows TWO tracks inside the old one. Now they've changed their minds. Refurbishing the original track. Theoretically leave the "new" 1/4 mile for possible future use. Don't quite understand how they will have room for all the haulers though. I'll be shocked if more than one race happens there. Grew up in WV. 29 years there. Lots of stuff get started then abandoned. I'd guess it's even worse now as much less money around. Been gone from there since Jan 1996. Stuff I hear is quite sad.

Ultimately none of us know what the cheapest way to reopen this place was or is, but my guess is construction of a new track hasn't gone the way desired and that's how we're winding up with the track reverting to a state which it's own promoter argued wasn't sustainable. I'd love to see it work because it is a historic facility and we have very few tracks that size around. I'm just asking the same question a few other people are because I remember why it was being resized in the first place.

Heavy duty rumors circulating that WRG is to acquire ASCS.
There had been stuff floating about that they were looking to fill a more regional hole that exists now without the Allstars.

Back
Top Bottom