Do Big Wrecks Contribute to Driver Decline?

I personally feel the wreck that danica took at Kansas and the one where she almost flipped added to her hanging it up sooner.

I always think of Felipe Massa's incident in Hungary 2009 (Spring hitting him in the head) and even though he still was competitive in F1 until 2017. It just seemed like that aggression he once had kind of faltered a bit over time. He was nowhere near as competitive as a front runner, but he was a solid rear gunner. Also, I think of psychological ordeals such as China 2010 and especially Germany in 2010 where Felipe was damn near in tears after Ferrari let Alonso win that race. Felipe had the measure, then the infamous words of "Felipe, Fernando is faster than you." it was like Felipe's spirit broke entirely after that race for the rest of his time at Ferrari.

Anyways, look at Steve Park after that incident at Pocono. Steve Park was an up and comer with a lot of talent, but it seemed like that huge accident took a lot out of him. Not to mention that freak accident where he was injured at Darlington in 2001 with Larry Foyt III, it was like Steve lost a gear.

It happens, but I wonder if its like with Jr and his concussions over the years? Jr talked a lot about that in his book, big accidents like that can take time to come from. Without the needed treatment, it could be detrimental not just driving, but just living. Dale Jr was in a lot of crazy accidents, so I can understand how major accidents can effect some heavily over time.

I always think of Felipe Massa's incident in Hungary 2009 (Spring hitting him in the head) and even though he still was competitive in F1 until 2017. It just seemed like that aggression he once had kind of faltered a bit over time. He was nowhere near as competitive as a front runner, but he was a solid rear gunner. Also, I think of psychological ordeals such as China 2010 and especially Germany in 2010 where Felipe was damn near in tears after Ferrari let Alonso win that race. Felipe had the measure, then the infamous words of "Felipe, Fernando is faster than you." it was like Felipe's spirit broke entirely after that race for the rest of his time at Ferrari.

Anyways, look at Steve Park after that incident at Pocono. Steve Park was an up and comer with a lot of talent, but it seemed like that huge accident took a lot out of him. Not to mention that freak accident where he was injured at Darlington in 2001 with Larry Foyt III, it was like Steve lost a gear.

It happens, but I wonder if its like with Jr and his concussions over the years? Jr talked a lot about that in his book, big accidents like that can take time to come from. Without the needed treatment, it could be detrimental not just driving, but just living. Dale Jr was in a lot of crazy accidents, so I can understand how major accidents can effect some heavily over time.
Steve Park did lose a gear. It took a great effort for him to just talk to people. He was after a lot of help, able to drive in the truck series.

yeah I was trying to remember who that was that almost was beheaded when he hit a spring. He kept racing but it was easy to tell he had lost a lot. I think he had brain damage

Indeed. Jeff Gordon's flip in the Clash comes to mind. I think that wreck made him hang it up sooner. He could've kept racing a few more years.

Without racing 200 miles per hour into turn one at Pocono, I can give my uneducated opinion that I think it did contribute to his decline. Also, the youth movement at Hendrick and Roval '18 has hampered him, too.

Without racing 200 miles per hour into turn one at Pocono, I can give my uneducated opinion that I think it did contribute to his decline. Also, the youth movement at Hendrick and Roval '18 has hampered him, too.
It's tough to watch, Jimmie still has the skill and is fast, but doesn't have the edge.

Watching him driving in the late 2000s and how he composes himself, he's just a different driver. He's more chilled out as a competitor, and he's out to lunch. He needs a win badly to get that edge back..if it's late in the season, it'll be a good story..if he wins soon, during the summer, I think he'll have another two in him.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jimmie talks about the Pocono wreck

They way he talks about it isn't the way someone typically talks about a traumatic memory. But it is telling that he remembers panicking, and acknowledging that he ****** up. Remembering panic and a mistake definitely can stick with you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

this is a great thread.

Big E didnt care less about wrecks. I remember him flipping a car over after it was on its roof and wanted to continue to race it

Back
Top Bottom