Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

racingfan7

Start and Park
Contributor
Simple question.

Me personally I don't understand the logic of completely bulldozing a configuration that sold out race after race after race with a lot of demand (though I'm sure you could argue other reasons why they aren't anymore at least in the spring). It sure seems like with the VHT they're trying to bring that back. So what's your thoughts?

Simple question.

Me personally I don't understand the logic of completely bulldozing a configuration that sold out race after race after race with a lot of demand (though I'm sure you could argue other reasons why they aren't anymore at least in the spring). It sure seems like with the VHT they're trying to bring that back. So what's your thoughts?

I went to the Bristol night race for many years before Bruton bought the place and loved it. Bruton made lots of improvements to the facility but I stopped going after he ruined the track a few years back. IMO Bristol used to be racing the way it oughta be but not so much anymore.

I never understood when they changed it the second time why they didn't go back to what it was

I know Rusty still sees this in his dreams ;)

746d2df43fa6a9820bf018b985d5fd1a.jpg

the old bristol was awsome. the one line around the bottom, bumping and banging for 500 laps. I'd be pumped all week leading to a bristol race. then they reconfigured it which was mind boggling as others have stated. now it's my least favorite of the 3 short tracks.

At Bristol, no, do not like the high line groove, in my opinion they ruined the track and the racing, the bottom line or groove provided some of the best racing period.

I do give them some credit for finally pulling their heads out of their rear ends and trying to fix what they done broke.

They'd have to change hotel prices, ticket prices, the points system, and eliminate the stages to fill the stands again in my opinion
When they play the VA/TN football game in the infield while the race is running, I'll buy another Bristol ticket.

Are they using that compound stuff in the lower lane for this race? That really did seem to help the lower line last time if I remember correctly.

I like short track racing no matter what line is the preferred line. Single file bump-n-run = great. Side-by-side racing = great. Bristol is now the best of both worlds in that regard.

Found it, skip to the one hour and 2 minute mark, and yeah Jimmie flat out dumped him.

Wow...massive hit. It's easy to forget how even the minor crashes back then were actually pretty severe due to no SAFER barriers. I can fully understand why Johnson isn't a fan of the bump-n-run after seeing that.

Also...Adam Petty sighting :(

Wow...massive hit. It's easy to forget how even the minor crashes back then were actually pretty severe due to no SAFER barriers. I can fully understand why Johnson isn't a fan of the bump-n-run after seeing that.

Also...Adam Petty sighting :(
And Dick Trickle

I love the irony of the disgruntled old-timers who complain the fast intermediate tracks are too much single file racing where it is hard to pass... and then a moment later they claim Bristol was better back in the day because it was single file and unable to pass. :idunno:

Because Bristol was the one of few tracks that was a one groove track. Richmond, Dover, hell even Martinsville off and on had other options besides the bottom. The track sold out numerous races and what made Bristol famous was some of the bump and runs over the years.

I'm not convinced a one groove track automatically makes it hard to pass either.

I would be interested to see the caution stats because the old Bristol probably did have more yellows but I can't pull up racing-reference or anything else at the moment.

I like tracks with two or more grooves. I did not like the old configuration of Bristol - half the race was under caution (it was my least favorite track at the time). I never liked how passing occurred on the single groove configuration. I liked the progressive banking configuration, I though the racing was much better. But the locals rebelled and they changed the track again.

Can someone explained why they messed with the track?

What was the purpose of it?

The Bristol night race was, in my opinion, the 2nd most anticipated race every year behind Daytona. Now it seems like no one cares

Can someone explained why they messed with the track?

What was the purpose of it?

The Bristol night race was, in my opinion, the 2nd most anticipated race every year behind Daytona. Now it seems like no one cares
Because at the time, progressive banking was the "hot ticket" for race tracks. Homestead and New Hampshire received rave reviews after their re-configurations (with progressive banking), so Bruton Smith wanted to go with that trend. Funny thing is he claims that he never knew Bristol was going to be re-configured instead of just re-paved. I seriously doubt that that was the case. Methinks he only said that because many fans hated the progressive banking at Bristol.

Because Bristol was the one of few tracks that was a one groove track. Richmond, Dover, hell even Martinsville off and on had other options besides the bottom. The track sold out numerous races and what made Bristol famous was some of the bump and runs over the years.

I'm not convinced a one groove track automatically makes it hard to pass either.

I would be interested to see the caution stats because the old Bristol probably did have more yellows but I can't pull up racing-reference or anything else at the moment.
Spring 2001-Spring 2007 (13 races): 14.46 cautions

Fall 2007-Spring 2012 (10 races): 8.5 cautions

Fall 2012-Fall 2016 (9 races): 10.89 cautions

I started with 2001 as the advent of the debris caution era. If you go back to Fall 1992, when the track went to concrete, the period up through Spring 2007 averaged 12.93 cautions per race.

Back
Top Bottom