Does Ford...

i seriously doubt it since Ford only leads chevy by one win.

Its all about the highest position each make finishes rather then the number of victories.

Not quite, the margin is close.

Windsor, since you're here. Hear tell that the Mopar engine used in NASCAR is losing a bunch of weight, 30 pounds from what I hear.

You got any insight into what effect, if any, this will have on the mill's performance?

do you have the article on what exactly is being put on slim fast? that would make a huge difference in what is being lighter and how it would effect the car. I know dodge was heavier at the start of the year, then they got a reduction I think at the first martinsville race.

Not much NateDogg.

All I've seen is blurb form Mike Mulhern and virtually the exact same reference somewhere else but I can't remember where. Have no yet had the cahnce to really search out any additional info, if any is available.

From Mike:

Dodge teams are now running a new, lighter engine block, according to Detroit sources - 30 pounds lighter, a significant change. The block was reportedly cast by Caterpillar. How the weight might have been trimmed is unclear. When Dodge brought its first block into Winston Cup racing, the block had wide bore spacings, which meant that Dodge teams could run more RPMs. Rivals complained, and in July, Dodge teams had to start running with narrower bore spacings, which put them at a disadvantage of an estimated 40 pounds. It is unclear when NASCAR might have okayed the change.

I my self think Chevy is gonna lose to Ford because I think Mark Martin will win 1 race and finsih in the top five with stewart and other contenders having bad finishes while Mark wins the title

From Jayski's
Ford can clinch at Atlanta: Ford can clinch its third manufacturer's championship in the last four years and 15th overall by finishing first, second or third among the four car makes in Sunday's race. The only way Ford will not clinch the title in Atlanta is if Chevrolet wins and Ford finishes fourth among the manufacturers. A Ford has not won on the Atlanta track since Dale Jarrett's Taurus took the checkered flag in the 1997 spring race, the last event run before the track was redesigned.

Apologies for posting and running...got all kind of stuff going on right now.

I thought Ford was getting close to locking the title, but hadn't seen the point break down for awhile. Chevy has been closing the gap fast lately, but I thought this past race might have put the nail in the coffin.

This might sound goofy, considering the great points chase going on for the Drivers Championship, but I'm really pumped for next years Manufactures contest. Hopefully and I do mean HOPEFULLY we'll have a season without all these mid year body/template changes...look out for Mopar...I think?

HS, speaking of Mopar I'd realy have to see the two blocks side by side to know the whats and hows of their recent weight loss. Know both Mopar and Mercedes that block was probably originally built with a "overkill" regarding stress. I bet they've been able to look at it and come to terms where the stress was a concern and where they had it covered. I'd really like build one...and one with the P5 head as well!

Windsor

Thanks for the reply Windsor.

I thought (hoped) you might have stumbled across some info on what they did. I can't find a thing and the only racer I knew well enough to ask quit running Dodge this year and went Ford, so he hasn't seen one either.

IF ya come across anything let me know if ya get a chance.

Ford has 11 wins
Chevy as 10 wins,
If Ford finishes in 1st,2nd or 3rd among the 4 Makes,then Ford clinches MFGR'rs Title!

Back
Top Bottom