Dollar shave club

Anyone here use it?

looks tempting
Yes. Good blades, great prices, easy to order. Can't complain.

I get the 4 blade cartridges. $6/month for 4 of em if I remember correctly. They're as good as the Gillette ones you can get at Walmart for 20 bucks.

It sounds like a great deal if you go through a lot of blades. I dont want to discourage anyone. It is definitely cheaper than the typical buying experience.

But I would probably loose money on the program. I asked a barber years ago how to make my blades last longer. He told me hot water was the key.

So I shave in the shower and the hot water keeps my blades in good condition. Shave with hot water and rinsing the blades out with the hot water aftetwards is the key

I dont think I purchased any disposable types in 2014, still using a 2013 disposable.

It sounds like a great deal if you go through a lot of blades. I dont want to discourage anyone. It is definitely cheaper than the typical buying experience.

But I would probably loose money on the program. I asked a barber years ago how to make my blades last longer. He told me hot water was the key.

So I shave in the shower and the hot water keeps my blades in good condition. Shave with hot water and rinsing the blades out with the hot water aftetwards is the key

I dont think I purchased any disposable types in 2014, still using a 2013 disposable.
I shave about once a week. By the time I shave, I'm looking like the startup version of Grizzly Adams, so I go through blades quickly. Even with hot water. You also want to make sure you dry your blade after use. That will help as well.

I shave about once a week. By the time I shave, I'm looking like the startup version of Grizzly Adams, so I go through blades quickly. Even with hot water. You also want to make sure you dry your blade after use. That will help as well.

I shave every day but probably could get away with every 36 hours if I wanted to do that. Probably 1/2 the 5 o'clock shadow of a heavy shaver. Probably 3 or 4 days to match a Tony Stewart 5 o'clock shadow.

I use a cheaper Gillette disposable for the initial rough shave, and a Fusion for the smoother finish. The Fusion is a much closer shave so I try to minimize its work load.That routine helps me to make the Fusion survive, both 2013 purchases.

I shave every day but probably could get away with every 36 hours if I wanted to do that. Probably 1/2 the 5 o'clock shadow of a heavy shaver. Probably 3 or 4 days to match a Tony Stewart 5 o'clock shadow.

I use a cheaper Gillette disposable for the initial rough shave, and a Fusion for the smoother finish. The Fusion is a much closer shave so I try to minimize its work load.That routine helps me to make the Fusion survive, both 2013 purchases.
Same here. I shave my head too, so I just do it every day.

I didn't know that using hot water was the ticket - I thought hot water wore the blades out quicker. Thanks for the tip.

Same here. I shave my head too, so I just do it every day.

I didn't know that using hot water was the ticket - I thought hot water wore the blades out quicker. Thanks for the tip.

I dont really know technical details, but I think the hot water softens the skin/hair as well.

I dont really know technical details, but I think the hot water softens the skin/hair as well.
Yep, I knew about that. I've been using cool water to rinse the blades though. I can't remember where I heard that hot water dulls the blades quicker. Someone lied to me. :mad:

A topic discussed at length on another forum I visit. Half the guys loved them, the other half hated them. Boils down to personal preference.
I shave after showering. I use shaving soap in a mug with a badger brush to lather up. I rinse my razor, often, with cool water. Which is a twin blade Gillette btw.

A topic discussed at length on another forum I visit. Half the guys loved them, the other half hated them. Boils down to personal preference.
I shave after showering. I use shaving soap in a mug with a badger brush to lather up. I rinse my razor, often, with cool water. Which is a twin blade Gillette btw.
A couple years ago I decided to try an old-fashioned safety razor. They claim it is cheaper than modern blade systems; the blades cost a fraction of the Gillette and Schick blades but they don't last as long. Plus the razor and brush and other items increase the initial costs. After cutting my face a number of times I've gotten used to it and it does a nice job. I prefer the Mach 3 to cut my weekend growth and the safety razor for the rest of the workweek. I like using a badger brush to make the lather (it doesn't take long whipping up a dollop of cream).

Since the popularity of Dollar Shave Club there are competitors like ShaveMob and Harry's to consider. What ever razor you go with, look into using a brush with a tube of shaving cream or with a shaving soap.

I envy you @Greg. Im like @breatheoflife It takes no time and I look like Rick from Walking dead. I use the Gillette 3 blade one. Works well and dont have to replace it often--maybe one every 4 months

I envy you @Greg. Im like @breatheoflife It takes no time and I look like Rick from Walking dead. I use the Gillette 3 blade one. Works well and dont have to replace it often--maybe one every 4 months

My wife reminds me that I dont have a hairy chest all the time.

Thanks guys. I did sign up today. there is the option to only send out every other month if I don't need as many
WHAT IF I DON‘T SHAVE VERY OFTEN?
You can adjust your membership frequency by switching to our Not So Hairy plan. Then we simply bill and ship your razors every other month. You can access this feature from your account page

I don't understand this talk. Only time my blade get dull is when the wife uses it on the butcher counter. Then I just get out the strop and put an edge back on it. Best to wrap your face in hot towels for 10 min and then brush on the lather.

But most of the time I just use the electric . :nyanya:

My Dad swore by his Norelco, I swore at it the few times I tried it.:) Tried a regular Remington once, just once. That's all it took.

My experiences have led me to believe shaving right after showering is the way to go. Use a mug, soap and brush because IMHO shaving cream in a can isn't much better then using Redi-Whip or Cheez Wiz. Don't ask.

Lastly, under no circumstances ever use a Bic disposable unless you have a death wish to bleed to death.

btw, if your wife is using your razor the bet is she isn't using it on the butcher counter. Wait, is that what they'
re calling it now?? Crazy kids....

Since my husband retired, he now does the grocery shopping. He was on his last Fusion blade and was going to pick some up at the store. I was the one who always made those purchases before, and, well, I guess you can say he had sticker shock when he saw how much he was going to have to pay for the replacement blades. Instead, he bought disposable razors. Now, both my husband and I use the Dollar Shave Club for our shaving needs. We get the every other month blade shipment, and we both love it! One of us got a sample of the Shave Butter in one of the blade shipments and my husband tried it and absolutely loves it. He ordered the big tube with his next blade shipment and has been using it ever since. He has rosacia (sp ?) on his face that will flare up every now and again, and since he has been using the shave butter it has been very minimal. He said that it takes no more than a quarters worth, it doesn't clog up the blades and it leaves his face feeling like he put lotion on after shaving. I think he even got some of the aftershave and likes it too, or maybe it was just a sample they sent with one of his blade shipments. Their products are good quality, and if you aren't satisfied you can cancel at any time.

Back
Top Bottom