Dover fall race to honor heroes of 9/11

A

abooja

From Jayski's:

Joe Gibbs Racing and MBNA are working together to honor the heroes of Sept. 11 and to help children who lost parents in the terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington. In a press conference today [1:00pm at Indy] in Indianapolis, MBNA and Gibbs Racing will announce plans for a promotion Sept. 20-22 at Dover International Speedway. The name of the Sept. 22 Winston Cup race will be changed from the MBNA America 400 to the All American Heroes 400. Gibbs Racing driver Bobby Labonte will drive a car with the race's name and the words "Let's Roll" emblazoned across the hood. The car will be unveiled today at Indianapolis.[see my Paint Scheme Gallery for an image of the car posted a few weeks ago].

Proceeds from special race events organized by Gibbs and MBNA will benefit the Todd M. Beamer Foundation, created in honor of a passenger on one of the hijacked flights of Sept. 11. The foundation helps children who lost parents in the Sept. 11 attacks. All profits from sales of models of Labonte's special No.18 car will be donated to the Beamer Foundation. Every organization involved in the All American Heroes 400, including Action Performance, the maker of the No.18 model die cast, is donating 100 percent of profits from the event to the Beamer Foundation, Alpern said.

Before the race, NASCAR.com will give fans the opportunity to sponsor Labonte per lap in the race, with all donations going to the foundation. After the race on Sept. 24, eBay will hold a live auction where fans may bid on Labonte's race uniform, helmet, shoes and gloves, in addition to the hood of the car, all of which will be autographed, with the proceeds going to the foundation. Alpern said Gibbs Racing and MBNA hope Beamer's widow, Lisa, will serve as grand marshal of the event. MBNA has also invited President Bush

Great to see that our Fallen Heros are being honored. And WOW does that car look good or what?

Car looks nice. I wonder if we'll see any other special schemes at Dover. I think Schrader's car should have that flag scheme again, that car looked really sharp.

I haven't been able to find information about any other cars donning special paint schemes for the Dover race. :(

Barring any new attacks, the Louden race will run on schedule this year (9/15), and that's closer to 9/11. I wonder if the Dover race will be a new tradition anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom