Drakkar Noir crew challenge hits NYC

A

abooja

This is extremely cool. Looks like I'll have to come up with a good excuse for why I'm not at my desk that Thursday next month. I hope to get some good photos to post here: :)

MOORESVILLE, N.C. -- Having spent the past nine months working together tirelessly during the grueling World Trade Center clean-up effort, the New York Police Department and Firefighters get the opportunity to square off for pit crew supremacy on Aug. 8 in New York City.

The event, developed and sponsored by the famous men's fragrance, Drakkar Noir, an associate sponsor of Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s No. 8 car and the first prestige sponsor in motorsports, in conjunction with Dale Earnhardt, Inc., puts the NYPD vs. the FDNY in a timed pit stop competition in front of Macy's Herald Square.

The objective of the Drakkar Noir Pit Crew Challenge: be faster than the other guys. In preparation for the inaugural event, the policemen and firefighters will spend Friday training on the DEI campus under the direction of team pit crew coach Walt Smith.

The Drakkar Challenge highlights Drakkar Noir's partnership with Dale Earnhardt Jr. and, at the same time has a charitable element in that its proceeds will benefit The Widows' and Children's Benefit Fund.

http://www.nascar.com/2002/news/headlines/...enge/index.html

So is Jr. going to be there? It doesn't really say if he is or not.

I doubt it, B.C. But it'll still be cool to see all those cops and firemen try to change lugnuts and whatnot. I guess that's what they're going to be doing. I can't imagine where they're going to find the room, though. The Macy's-Herald Square area is one of the most crowded in NYC. It should be a big mess. And I'd better be there to witness it all!! Besides this, the awards ceremony at the Waldorf Astoria is the only thing NYC has going on when it comes to NASCAR. I stood outside there for 2 or 3 hours last fall, hoping to catch a glimpse, but saw no one! I got some good shots of the red Winston Cup flag flying high above Park Avenue, though. I thought that was pretty amazing, at the time. I'll post them someday...

I take it that they all stayed the night in the hotel and never left the building. At least not while you were there.:(

Whoah. It looks like Dale Jr. himself will be appearing as "Master of Ceremonies" at this event in NYC. It also looks like I'll be taking the day off and blowing $70+ for men's cologne I have absolutely no use for. :D

Well, maybe not. (The cologne thing.) :sketchy:

Drakkar Noir Pit Crew Challenge

Gentlemen start your engines...

Drakkar Noir and Macy's Welcome Dale Earnhardt Jr.,
the #8 Pit Crew, NYPD and FDNY to Herald Square

WHO: NASCAR Champion and driving sensation, Dale
Earnhardt Jr. will make a special personal appearance
at Macy's.

WHAT: Macy's Herald Square will host the Drakkar Noir
Pit Crew Challenge, a unique event highlighting
Drakkar Noir's partnership with Dale Jr. Two specially
trained teams from NYPD and FDNY will face-off in a
timed competition to determine which crew will
conplete an officail pit stop in the fastest time.

MORE: Prior to the Pit Crew Challenge Dale Jr. will
meet and greet his fans as well as sign autographs for
the first 300 people to make a *$67.50 Drakkar Noit
purchase.

Immediately following, Dale Jr. will meet with
Olympic gold and silver medallist, Picabo Street for a
brief Q&A and then Dale Jr, will rev up the #8 car --
kicking off the Drakkar Noir Pit Crew Challenge.
Drakkar Noir will make a donation to the Widow's and
Children Benefit Fund.

WHEN And WHERE:
THURSDAY, AUGUST 8th - MACY'S HERALD SQUARE

Personal Appearance and Signing
Main Floor - Fragrance Arcade (12:00pm)

Drakkar Noir Pit Crew Challenge
Broadway between 34th and 35th Street (2:00pm)

That's good to hear for ya Lboo, you'll be able to see your boy up there in NYC. And you can just send me the cologne.;) I'll put it to good use. Unless it smells funny.:sketchy:

thats pretty kewl, here in ok we dont usually get cool things like that :(

Thanks, guys! I am so psyched for this, I can't even begin to describe it. :D It's sure not like seeing a race, but it's as close to racing as I'm gonna get without leaving the city. If all goes well, I'll be there bright and early, be one of the first 300 wackos to buy an overpriced bottle of Drakkar Noir (which does smell incredible, btw), and meet my boy, Dale Jr.!!! (Who'll probably want to spit at me.) I didn't even notice until now that he'll have the #8 with him!! How cool is that?! Gosh, I may convulse now just thinking about it... :yeehaw:

Sorry for all the exclamation points. In this case, I think it's deserved. :)

Hope to be posting some photos of the event shortly after it's over. That is, if I'm not carted off by some of New York City's finest before that happens... :cookoo:

Getting mentally and physically prepared for my visit with Dale Earnhardt Jr. tomorrow. Worked out. Layed out my clothes. Set the alarm clock. Checked the balance on my credit cards. Things like that. :satisfied

I haven't done this sort of thing since I was 16, when I met Keith Hernandez in a bookstore on 5th Avenue. I brought a sketch I had made of him, but he wouldn't sign it because he claimed his publicist would only let him sign the paperback edition of his book, If At First. :rolleyes: I never did forgive him for that.

Now, I've never met Dale Jr. before. Chances are decent that I may not even meet him tomorrow, since I have no idea what kind of turnout he can expect in the heart of NYC (a very non-racing town, in case you didn't know) at 12 noon on a Thursday afternoon. I can't imagine how many fans he will draw from surrounding areas. If this is any gauge, I only saw around 20-30 people max outside the Waldorf Astoria last fall. Do you think I'll have trouble being one of the first 300 people to buy Drakkar Noir in order to get his autograph? I'm more interested in seeing him and the whole pit crew challenge thing than the autograph, but I'll take what I can get. ;)

Anyhow, I don't know what he'll be "allowed" to sign or not sign, but I do plan on bringing something with me just in case. Which one of these three do you think makes the most sense? I'll post the 3rd photo separately.

Thanks for your help!

I know this is quite lame of me!

The drivers are allowed to sign pretty much anything. Don't ever recall a driver refusing to sign something because he wasn't allowed to.

There have been refusals to sign certain items, but it wasn't because of a rule. Certain things just exceed the boundaries!!:D

Not that anyone is out there, but...

Here's the other option. I'm thinking this one is best. He'd sure as hell better sign something other than that bottle of Drakkar, now that I'm taking pictures and cropping them in Photoshop and all!

abooja, I'd go with the poster; good luck with getting an autograph...and please be sure to have Jr at the track for Friday! ;) :D

I hope you can get at least one thing you bring signed. I read when he was doing the book deal, only the book that you bought at the store would be signed. Good Luck

abooja, those drivers even sign other driver's apparel at the track, so I wouldn't worry about it! But I would definitely have him sign the poster. That, you can hang up forever. The hat would be harder to showcase, plus you couldn't wear it again....

Have fun tomorrow and keep us posted!!!!! :)

Thanks!!! I'm going to try my best...which probably means that I'll get there when the store opens, and still miss him somehow. I'm not a real pushy type of person, so I would never embarrass myself by being at all aggressive about it. That might not be the best approach, however. :sketchy:

Either way, it should be fun. I'll try to get some photos. And don't worry about him missing the race. Even if I could somehow arrange to steal him away for a few hours, I'd never let him skip work. Like I do. ;)

Still wondering what the heck to do with this box of stale Chicken in a Biskit...That might be funny enough to get his attention. :D

Hey Boo,
Try an get him to autograph one of those T. Labonte Cheez-It boxes. Hehehe Really best of luck and have fun.

Thanks, Walrus! Thanks again, everyone!

Why do I feel like I'm going to the Oscars? :D :hyper:

Chicken in a Biskit...? Is he endorsing doggie food now?

Hey, Chicken in a Biskit is just a chicken-flavored cracker. I would never serve 'em to a dog, though. :D

Here's the article on nascar.com about today's amazing event in NYC. I'll provide more personal details and some bad photos if anyone is interested (even if you're not, actually!).

BTW, I didn't get his autograph at all. :(

http://www.nascar.com/2002/news/headlines/...noir/index.html

Drakkar Noir challenge a day of fun, remembrance
By Marty Smith, Turner Sports Interactive August 8, 2002
6:36 PM EDT (2236 GMT)

CONCORD, N.C. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. has one of the quickest and most established pit crews in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series. But Thursday, they met their match -- in the form of the New York City Police Department.

After drowning the Fire Department of New York two pit stops to none to win the inaugural Drakkar Noir Pit Crew Challenge, the boys from the NYPD challenged the Budweiser Chevrolet crew to a duel.

They won, too, albeit after receiving a 10-second head start.

"The No. 8 pit crew gave us a 10-second advantage and we beat them," said Eddie Gardner, a detective with the NYPD technical assistance response unit. "We took it to them just like we took it to the firemen."

The Drakkar Noir Pit Crew Challenge -- an event developed and sponsored by well-known men's fragrance Drakkar Noir in conjunction with Dale Earnhardt Inc. -- pitted the heroes of the NYPD and FDNY against one another in a timed pit stop challenge.

After months of working together in the cleanup effort following the Sept. 11th attacks on America, it was a welcome contest.

The policemen won going away, continuing their current athletic reign over their fire-fighting counterparts. The two units play an annual football game, of which the policemen have won the past nine. Now, they added the pit crew title as well.

Aside from the NYPD, Thursday's big winner is The Widows' and Children's Benefit Fund. L'Oreal USA, the parent company for Drakkar Noir, donated $25,000 to aid the families who lost loved ones during the terrorist attacks.

"Today's event just means so much to us," said Drakkar Noir president Jack Wiswall. "This is exactly what our city needs. It's a great tribute to these guys, and the best part about it is that we're able to give $25,000 to the police and fire widow and children's fund.

"This just great and we're so happy to be a part of it. The firemen and police have trained hard and well. It's a meaningful event for us all."

The event included a star-studded lineup. Among those in attendance were Earnhardt Jr. and the entire No. 8 Budweiser crew, other DEI executives, several police and firemen, executives from L'Oreal USA and Olympic skiing gold medallist Picabo Street.

"This was just the coolest event," said Street, a close friend of Earnhardt, Jr's, and the chosen individual to interview him in front of Thursday's crowd. "It was really great for the big, supportive, family-type atmosphere that NASCAR embodies to come to New York City where the same kind of camaraderie is.

"Everyone has come together to lend support for people that are less fortunate. For Junior to come out here and give time was really special. For me, it was great, a huge turnout and a great group of fans."

Hundreds of fans turned out for the event, where Junior signed autographs at Macy's Herald Square. During the festivities, relationships were forged between NASCAR's heroes and America's greatest heroes.

"It was just one of those really special events," said DEI executive vice president Ty Norris. "After everything that happened in 2001, it was really pretty amazing to have something like this with the heroes of the police and fire departments.

"Those guys had a great time and we made a lot of new friendships. I've been a part of a lot of special things during my career, and this ranks right up there near the top. Those guys are the true American heroes."

One such hero, Mike Of, a candid fireman from Engine 319 in Queens, NY, said he and his mates were elated to be a part of the landmark event. Many of the participants had never so much as seen a Winston Cup machine, so it was quite an educational experience for all.

"Man, this is just so amazing, hanging out with these guys," Of said. "They're so famous, but they're normal and down to Earth. Having this even here, in the middle of Manhattan, the greatest city in the world is so great.

"The training for today's event was so fun, so great. Meeting Dale Jr. was awesome, and meeting the crew was really cool, too. They're the heart behind the team. NASCAR is so big in the South, and the Southern community was so good to us during the tragedy, lending a helping hand.

"They sent fire engines and help. I read a letter from a girl down there, shared it with all my friends. It means so much to me, being able to do this today."

Of was there on Sept. 11th at the World Trade Center. He lost friends. The memories still haunt him. His hope is that Americans never stop feeling the tremors left from that tragic day.

"In one month we'll have the anniversary," he said. "I hope the country never forgets that the biggest tragedy in the world happened right here. September 11th is going to be so sad and somber.

"A lot of memories. A lot of tears. I'll never forget the taste, the smell or my friends that are gone. It'll be a day of reflection. Today was so great. The support show by Drakkar Noir and NASCAR is awesome."

For those of you who are interested, here are several photos from my *fabulous* day in New York City with Dale Earnhardt Jr! I couldn't get close enough to the actual pit crew challenge (terrible planning and nutty security), but I feel these photos might give you an understanding of what it's like to be a lone, fanatical Dale Jr. fan in NYC. Between this and Jeff Gordon cohosting Live with Regis & Kelly, this was one of the few days that NASCAR touched NYC in a major way. Perhaps needless to say, it was incredible. :)

No, I didn't get to meet him or get his autograph. Huge, unanticipated crowds prevented that from happening. I guess I could've gone even earlier but, alas, it was not meant to be. :( Oh, if I had been even five minutes earlier...

I'm going to present these photos in a pictorial sort of way, with one or two sentences to describe each.

Junior fans and ladies: I hope you enjoy them.

Everyone else: Please bear with me. I'm still all aglow from my brush with the man. :D

#1: The N-train on the ride into Manhattan from Queens. Budweiser ads everywhere. I thought it was a nice omen.

#2: The first of the hot photos on stage inside Macy's Herald Square.

#6: Outside of Macy's, the Brew Crew gets ready for action.

#7: Notice how it's business as usual in NYC. "Get that race car out of my way, you $%@##!!!"

#13: The #8 gets pushed back onto the truck on 35th Street.

#14: Last one, I promise. What I wish I could've taken home on the subway with me!

Hey, you're welcome, TRL! Glad you enjoyed them. :)

I know...what a disappointment. I'm still kicking myself over it. But it was a great day anyway. Painful, annoying, uncomfortable at times...but well worth it. I swear, I do believe that Junior looked at me at least two times! I've never been that close to him in my life. Actually, besides the Phoenix race last fall, this is the only time I've knowingly been in the same place as Dale Jr. That, in itself, was a thrill!

What I most loved about today was the fact that this team and this sport that I watch so religiously, almost always from a very long distance, was actually treading the same cement as me and my fellow New Yorkers. I LOVE the dichotomy of the Brew Crew pushing the Budweiser #8 Chevy down Broadway in NYC, of all places, and all the skyscrapers surrounding them with men in suits walking by as if it was any other day. That was definitely the coolest part of all.

I can see Junior anytime. (Yeah, right!)

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
abooja, I have the left rear quarter panel off a Bud car.  :)  :)  :)

Are you trying to torment me, TRL?!!! :mad: :eek: :p

How much you want for it? ;)

Back
Top Bottom