Driver/owners?

KYLE BUSCH 8

1ST PLACE!
So alot of drivers used to own their own cup teams and race for them too. How come this doesnt happen anymore? It seems like there was mostly single car teams back then too which is definitely not the case today.

So alot of drivers used to own their own cup teams and race for them too. How come this doesnt happen anymore? It seems like there was mostly single car teams back then too which is definitely not the case today.
Competitive Single car teams are a thing of the past, they cant compete with the multi car teams who have more resources and more money. Simple as that.

Competitive Single car teams are a thing of the past, they cant compete with the multi car teams who have more resources and more money. Simple as that.
Furniture Row Racing and the Wood Brothers would say you paint with a very broad brush. So would Tony Stewart, the most recent owner/driver to win the championship.

I think the dearth of owner/drivers has more to do with specialization of skills in a racing environment that is more sophisticated than it used to be. What makes a good owner or team manager isn't the same as what makes a good driver. And being halfway good at both functions is simply not as viable as it used to be. Over the course of history, most all owner/drivers were better at one side than at the other. It makes sense that they move toward specialization... either team management or as a driver.

Because Bill Elliott lost 6 productive years of his career to it

Furniture Row Racing and the Wood Brothers would say you paint with a very broad brush. So would Tony Stewart, the most recent owner/driver to win the championship.

I think the dearth of owner/drivers has more to do with specialization of skills in a racing environment that is more sophisticated than it used to be. What makes a good owner or team manager isn't the same as what makes a good driver. And being halfway good at both functions is simply not as viable as it used to be. Over the course of history, most all owner/drivers were better at one side than at the other. It makes sense that they move toward specialization... either team management or as a driver.
lol. Nah, They were far from what a real single car team definition is, you know that.

With all that's involved getting a car to the front nowdays, I don't see it happening again anytime soon. Look at the front running teams, they have one thing in common. Deep pockets. FRR won the title, then shut down. That tells me all I need to know. Exspensive to be competitive. Most drivers don't have that kind of money or backing.

With all that's involved getting a car to the front nowdays, I don't see it happening again anytime soon. Look at the front running teams, they have one thing in common. Deep pockets. FRR won the title, then shut down. That tells me all I need to know. Exspensive to be competitive. Most drivers don't have that kind of money or backing.
Not to mention FRR was getting its cars and engines from TRD and Gibbs along with Tech support.

mack you make a good point. But couldnt an owner save money by only running one car and putting all focus into one team? Like maybe roush would be better if they ran 1 car instead of 2?

Kyle busch has a lot of success owning his team in the lower divisions. What if he decided to leave gibbs and start his own cup team? Would that work in todays nascar? He would have support from toyota and his sponsors no doubt

Back
Top Bottom