Drivers and the media

OldTimer

Team Owner
Ok... my kids call me an old school type of guy, but from my perspective some things should never change.

One of them is that NASCAR drivers should have to earn their respect and following by performance on the track.

So...that being said, yesterday at the start of the race the announcers seemed to be oblivious as to results in their over the top pontification promoting Reddick.

Personally have nothing against Reddick as he appears to be more talented than his teammate...just has not earned any luck yet.

But, it got me to thinking. Back in the day, a driver earned his following, whether or not it was good or bad, by the accumulation of experience on the track.

Are today's drivers instead promoted by media hype and not necessarily ability?

He’s a modified guy as a rookie in the cup series and has ran up in the top 10 quite often in equipment that is worthy of ~20th at best. He’s deserved his media time.

I thought it was quite exciting myself watching some guy move around in the control center for half of the race while all of the gerbils commented. I was riveted to the screen.

I really enjoy watching the young guns hone their skills and watching them progress to the level it takes to run with the veterans.

He’s a modified guy as a rookie in the cup series and has ran up in the top 10 quite often in equipment that is worthy of ~20th at best. He’s deserved his media time.
Took Geoff Bodine almost ten years to get the same mention....and that was after he won a couple of races.

Reddick is earning it.

We want some of the fresh meat to do well, no?

Ok... my kids call me an old school type of guy, but from my perspective some things should never change.

One of them is that NASCAR drivers should have to earn their respect and following by performance on the track.

So...that being said, yesterday at the start of the race the announcers seemed to be oblivious as to results in their over the top pontification promoting Reddick.

Personally have nothing against Reddick as he appears to be more talented than his teammate...just has not earned any luck yet.

But, it got me to thinking. Back in the day, a driver earned his following, whether or not it was good or bad, by the accumulation of experience on the track.

The sport overall is a shadow of what it once was. I’d be happy if I could mute the TV and listen to synchronized MRN.
How many times last night did we have to see real-time playoff standings?
The sport has become somewhat of a reality show and I really don’t take it seriously anymore.
That is unfortunate for young drivers watching their idols and dreaming of being in a Cup car.

He's doing more with less than some veterans I could name. Reddick is earning it.
He has not won yet and he is not changing the tactics of the players around him yet. So far it is all rhetoric....pun intended.

Beats having to hear about Jimmie Johnson's losing streak. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom