Drivers Still Mad After Dover

P

pettyfan4life

Drivers still hot after Dover
Marlin, Stewart among those upset over track incidents
By DAVID SCOTT
The Charlotte Observer
Tony Stewart is held for one lap on pit road after pitting outside the pit box boundary.
AP
Tony Stewart is held for one lap on pit road after pitting outside the pit box boundary.

Unless a few drivers do some serious cooling down between now and Sunday, there will no shortage of ill feelings as NASCAR's Winston Cup circuit makes its first Pocono stop this week.

After Sunday's MBNA 400 at Dover International Speedway, Sterling Marlin is mad at Jeff Gordon. Gordon says he's not angry with Marlin, but he's not backing down. Tony Stewart is really upset with race winner Ryan Newman. Newman says Stewart should just look in the mirror.

It could be interesting at Sunday's Pocono 500.

Marlin took exception to Gordon's bump coming off Turn 2 on Lap 114 at Dover. It was the continuation of a mini-trend for Gordon, who hit Marlin and Ward Burton at The Winston all-star race two weekends ago at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

"That's twice in three races. It's getting kind of old," Marlin said. "I don't know what's wrong with the 24 (car), but we need to find out. You've got to give and take in this league, and (Gordon) has done a lot of taking. It's disappointing."

Guess you've got to give Gordon credit for not knocking into Marlin in last week's Coca-Cola 600 in Concord.

"I definitely got into him, no doubt about it," Gordon said of the Dover bump, which took out Marlin's No. 40 car -- one of the field's stronger cars. "I didn't mean to. Sure he's mad. I was mad when I got hit by him one time at Richmond. Hopefully, we'll get past it.

"He's not a guy I really talk to a lot and he doesn't talk to me a lot. I'll imagine we'll see each other on the race track soon."

Then there's Stewart, whose anger-management issues are well documented. Coming off the 2002 series championship, he'd kept his temper under wraps as his team faltered this season, falling from second earlier in the year to 20th heading into Dover.

But when NASCAR docked him a lap for missing his pit box by a few inches while leading with what was easily the field's strongest car, well, a guy can only take so much.

Stewart soon had a chance to get his lap back, and when a yellow flag came, he needed to beat leader Newman to the start-finish line to do so.

One of the sport's unwritten rules says if a race leader can let a driver he thinks isn't a threat to win back onto the lead lap, he should. The way Stewart was running, he clearly could have been considered a threat. Newman certainly thought he was.

Imagine what Newman would be dealing with, had he allowed Stewart back on the lead lap and Stewart won the race. As it was, Stewart finished fourth and moved up to 16th in points, so that would have been a real possibility.

Stewart, who didn't talk to the media after the race, was still able to clearly express his feelings with the following:

• Nearly putting Newman into the wall during the ensuing caution.

• Making an obscene gesture toward Newman's crew during a later pit stop.

• Yelling at Newman's crew chief, Matt Borland, after the race.

"We're racers," said Newman. "We compete against each other and try to be friends, but it's a competitive sport. He's not going to invite me to dinner tonight. There have been times I haven't wanted to invite him to dinner either, but we can get through it.

"To me, it was his own fault. What happened, happened."

Kyle Petty also got into the act after Todd Bodine bumped him out of the race. Petty walked past Bodine's crew chief, Derick Finley, and pointed to his sunglasses -- probably not as a goodwill gesture to help Bodine see more clearly on the track.

Just a comment on Gordon/Marlin....race whiz kid and four titles or not,I would highly advice against Jeff running his mouth too much to Marlin.Ricky Rudd, who is no wuss himself, made that mistake after a race about 15 years ago.Several incidents on track and Sterling did in fact 'find out what the problem was'....by marching into Rudd's trailer and having a 'physical scuffle'after a race.(And I cannot for the life of me remember where this happened.Where is Hardscrabble when you need him?)Ironically,Rudd was driving for Hendrick at the time.

Now Jeff might be an ace on the track but come on...Sterling would beat 'im like a dishrag OFF track! :lol: Just a little comment,not a Gordon bash.

And Tony?Just a competitor.An edge yeah,but just part of it.Remember Ryan's own little tantrum a week or so ago?Same thing.These guys are two of the best,hands down.

Todd and Kyle?I hate it really for both these guys.Kyle deserves a good run and Todd finally had one.Just a shame this little incident occured.

Oh well,it should make Pocono interesting anyway! :cheers:

LOL. A fight? Who cares who can beat up who? Is this the 3rd grade or Nascar? :eek:

And you defend Stewy? Geez, he is a big whiner. Ryan didn't give him his lap back so he gets pissed off and does several childish actions. :rolleyes:

I can see if it were somebody that was not in contention trying to get their lap back. Stewart was clearly a car that could have won, i think Newman did the correct thing by not letting him get his lap back. These guys are out to win not finish second when they have a good car. As for what Newman did after he crashed at Charlotte.......i thought is was pretty silly, he pretty much made an ass out of himself!

I agree that Tony had no right to be angry at Newman. Newman was thinking about the very real possibility that Stewart could come back and win the race if he just "gave him his lap back". Just look at how he mowed down the field once he did get back on the lead lap.

Most say that the #20 was the best car on the track. As a huge fan of Joe Gibbs Racing, I do find it sad that Stewart was still angry after posting a 4th place finish. Most drivers would be thrilled with that.

And just a few weeks ago Tony fussed at Bobby for giving drivers laps back in a race. He can't have it both ways.

I think it would have been suicide for Newman to give Stewart his lap back. It was clear the 20 was the car to beat. It would have came back and bit Newman is the but. As for Marlin and Gordon that's history. They will race Sun like nothing happen. :D

Originally posted by Gollum@Jun 3 2003, 08:02 PM
I think it would have been suicide for Newman to give Stewart his lap back. It was clear the 20 was the car to beat. It would have came back and bit Newman is the but. As for Marlin and Gordon that's history. They will race Sun like nothing happen. :D
Yep,You got that right Gollum ;)

Originally posted by Gordon Fan@Jun 3 2003, 07:09 PM
And you defend Stewy? Geez, he is a big whiner. Ryan didn't give him his lap back so he gets pissed off and does several childish actions. :rolleyes:
i'm a tony stewart fan and i admit that tony was an idiot.
it was his own fault and he didn't like that nobody would move over a give him a lap back.
get over i tony.

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 3 2003, 10:15 PM
Just a comment on Gordon/Marlin....race whiz kid and four titles or not,I would highly advice against Jeff running his mouth too much to Marlin.Ricky Rudd, who is no wuss himself, made that mistake after a race about 15 years ago.Several incidents on track and Sterling did in fact 'find out what the problem was'....by marching into Rudd's trailer and having a 'physical scuffle'after a race.(And I cannot for the life of me remember where this happened.Where is Hardscrabble when you need him?)Ironically,Rudd was driving for Hendrick at the time.
The incident you refer to happened at the fall race in Bristol about 1990 or 1991. It has been about twelve or thirteen years since Sterling took Rudd by surprise after entering Rudd's trailer. Rudd was sitting down and was getting to his feet as a defensive measure when the "scuffle" was broken up. No winner was declared. And while Rudd was driving for Hendrick?? Does this mean something??

As for the Stewart incident, Tony is a fierce competitor with the mental attitude of a seven year old.
A team owner definitely wants passion in a driver but Tony takes personal disappointment to the next level, rage. Hopefully he will not get to the level of uncontrollable rage, though many of his detractors feel he already has.

it be cool if rusty and marlin both teamed up and took ole jeff boy for a ride on sunday. :p :bounce:

Rusty and Sterling don't have to, they just have to make sure they force Bodine to pass him - the rest will take care of itself :lol:

Originally posted by Whizzer+Jun 4 2003, 09:29 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Whizzer @ Jun 4 2003, 09:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--97forever@Jun 3 2003, 10:15 PM
The incident you refer to happened at the fall race in Bristol about 1990 or 1991. It has been about twelve or thirteen years since Sterling took Rudd by surprise after entering Rudd's trailer. Rudd was sitting down and was getting to his feet as a defensive measure when the "scuffle" was broken up. No winner was declared. And while Rudd was driving for Hendrick?? Does this mean something??

As for the Stewart incident, Tony is a fierce competitor with the mental attitude of a seven year old.
A team owner definitely wants passion in a driver but Tony takes personal disappointment to the next level, rage. Hopefully he will not get to the level of uncontrollable rage, though many of his detractors feel he already has. [/b][/quote]
Yeah,it means both Rudd and Gordon were in Hendricks cars when these incidents with Sterling occured.Nothing more--nothing less.Just coincidental.

And I had totally forgotten when or where it occured.Just remember Marlin storming Rudd's hauler in a bit of a rage.And whether a winner was declared or not,history reflects pretty clearly that Ricky never has attempted to rough Sterling up on track or off since the 'scuffle'.That speaks pretty clearly.The same thing might prove effective as a deterrent to Jeff Gordon.

As for Stewart,my opinion is that he is a very impassioned driver.Out of control?I have no clue.No question in my mind though,that SOMETHING separates the 'almost-greats' from the 'really-greats'...and the 'mental attitude of a seven year old' might just be the very thing that does.I really just dont know.If Chad Little would have had Tony's personality,for instance,would he be right up there with the big dogs every week?Hard to say. :) But maybe.

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 4 2003, 02:00 PM
And I had totally forgotten when or where it occured.Just remember Marlin storming Rudd's hauler in a bit of a rage.And whether a winner was declared or not,history reflects pretty clearly that Ricky never has attempted to rough Sterling up on track or off since the 'scuffle'.That speaks pretty clearly.The same thing might prove effective as a deterrent to Jeff Gordon.
Ricky Rudd seems to have that affect on people...like his engine builder when he was still with RYR. :lol:

Originally posted by j ozzman 5000+Jun 3 2003, 09:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j ozzman 5000 @ Jun 3 2003, 09:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Gordon Fan@Jun 3 2003, 07:09 PM
i'm a tony stewart fan and i admit that tony was an idiot.
it was his own fault and he didn't like that nobody would move over a give him a lap back.
get over i tony. [/b][/quote]
Agreed...Tony had no one to blame but himself for getting a lap down. You only have to go back to Texas this year when Matt was leading, while letting the #97, #99 & #21 get their lap back when the #24 passed Matt. And Nascar in their infinite wisdom...gave Matt back the lead. Ryan may have had that on his mind also.

Just as an aside, in the situation of Jeff Gordon and Sterling Marlin, the question is not if, but when Sterling turns him, there will be no complaint forthcoming. It will be deserved. Fisticuffs?? Doubtful, but it would not be because one or the other is afraid, but in control. :D

QUOTE [As for Stewart,my opinion is that he is a very impassioned driver.Out of control?I have no clue.No question in my mind though,that SOMETHING separates the 'almost-greats' from the 'really-greats'...and the 'mental attitude of a seven year old' might just be the very thing that does.I really just dont know.If Chad Little would have had Tony's personality,for instance,would he be right up there with the big dogs every week?Hard to say. But maybe.]QUOTE

Already agreed Tony is an impassioned driver. He is also as talented as the "really greats" . My thought on the "almost great" and the "really great" drivers is not the personality but the ability. IOW, a driver need not act as a seven year old as a requisite to becoming a "really great". The only other driver I can think of to fit that category is A.J. Foyt. An "almost great and a really great" driver can have passion and keep it subdued. They don't need to fly off the handle or act childish to show they are "great".

Realizing use of Chad Little is strictly an example, IMO, it would not have made a difference how passionate Chad was even if he had Tony's personality. Having passion doesn't qualify someone to be tops in the field. Simply put, Chad Little was not Winston Cup material. Period. Some drivers realize this and choose to be big fish in a small pond while others try to be small fish in a big pond, case in point, Jeff Green, Mike Wallace, Brett Bodine, Phil Parsons, Jack Sprague, and on and on and on.
One observation about Tony is he seems happier when he acts civilized. He does not appear to like it when he is not in control with his emotions as his sensitive personality and consideration of other people, how he comes across to them, is not a true reflection of him as a person. Note the Tony Stewart you see as a commentator and what you see is a gracious, knowledgeable and intelligent individual. What you see when Tony is disappointed is a spoiled brat. IMO, Tony likes the first portrayal and is working to overcome this obvious flaw in his personality. :D

Back
Top Bottom