DW to get another shot in WC?

H

HardScrabble

McMurray will be driving the #40 car teh balance of the season except for the Martinsville race where a BGN commitment conflicts.

The team is testing this week at Martinsville and Mike Bliss is sharing the driving duties with Jamie. This leads one to believe Mike will drive at Martinsville but the ever churning rumor mill has thrown two other names into the deal. One is Rich Bickle.

The other name mentioned is good old Darrell Waltrip. Reckon Stevie will let him back in a Cup even on a short track?

I'm glad i got here before Paul...

I think it would be fun watching old DW come back for a Cup race. It probably wouldn't happen, but the #40 car is known for it's good equipment. It would be interesting watching that willy old veteran in the car one more time.

Hopefully DW will stay in the booth. He was one of the greats of all time and he has nothing to prove!

Hey DW is on Trackside Friday night...guess we will get an answer to that rumor.

GO DW!

I'll agree with you that he has nothing to prove, tonystewart1, but I think it would be fun to watch him race one more time.

Retiring from cup in that #66 Kmart car just really seem that special b/c the car never really ran well. Put a car like the #40 under him for a race, that' I'd like to see!

PULEEEZZZEEE NO DW. He has the 'sperience, but it's rusted out now!

Besides, whose going to pay the insurance and dry cleaning bills:p

That would be really cool to see DW back in a Winston Cup car. Martinsville was one of his best tracks and with good equipment he could get a top 10 finish (if not a win). Go DW go.

The fact that DW is going to reappear on Trackside one week before the race only adds credibility to the rumor. He has made no secret that he would love to run a race or two again.

I would imagine that Jaws has enough stashed away to pay a few bills if need be!

:)

It is best to retire on Top like Cale Yarborough and David Pearson did! DW doesn't need to come back. It won't help his driving career any. DW should stay in the booth and continue to make a go of his new career.

Maybe the Jeffy Boy should Retire. He is definately at the top!

tonystewart1,

With that idea in mind, then yes, I think it would be a really good time for Jeff Gordon to retire. hehe. I wish. :)

let him race one race I dont think it would be hurting anyone. tonystewart1 jeffs only 31 years old I don't think you will be seeing him go anywhere anytime soon.

Where's Ward fan? He'll love this. I predict 3-4 paragraphs explaining his thoughts on this.

Originally posted by tonystewart1
It is best to retire on Top like Cale Yarborough and David Pearson did!  DW doesn't need to come back. It won't help his driving career any.  DW should stay in the booth and continue to make a go of his new career.  

Maybe the Jeffy Boy should Retire.  He is definately at the top!

May I ask ts1 why you ALWAYS feel the need to bash and attack other drivers and even forum members??

Since DW works for FOX, will NBC give him the time of day ??

TS1 isn't bashing anyone this time.

He is saying that drivers should retire at the top of their careers rather than hang on past their prime. I'm not sure I agree with that, but it's a view held by what I'd call the majority. Many people felt DW held on past his prime.

So, theoretically, Jeff Gordon could retire right now. I think now would be an ideal time, actually, but I'm not saying he will. What driver wants to let go of doing something they love?

Originally posted by rpmallen
TS1 isn't bashing anyone this time.

He is saying that drivers should retire at the top of their careers rather than hang on past their prime. I'm not sure I agree with that, but it's a view held by what I'd call the majority. Many people felt DW held on past his prime.  

So, theoretically, Jeff Gordon could retire right now. I think now would be an ideal time, actually, but I'm not saying he will. What driver wants to let go of doing something they love?

I understand exactly what you are saying RPM, and I was not just referring to that post about Jeff.
I have read and not responded to many of ts1's posts simply because I choose not to. ts1 usually has something nasty to say about almost everyone, and I now get off my soapbox.

Kat :

I'm not bashing anyone. I am just giving a personal opionion.

Sorry Kat ;)

Jeff Gordon will be running Winston Cup for another 15 years if he stays healthy, so get used to him.

And D.W. needs to keep his butt in Franklin, TN or in the infield. He proved to us all in the late 90's that his hard racing days were gone down the drain.

Originally posted by tonystewart1
Kat :

I'm not bashing anyone.  I am just giving a personal opionion.  

Sorry Kat   ;)

You got me AGAIN!!! shame on me:eek:

Apology accepted
:) :) AND if you are Ron, pm me PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I know, kat2220, but ts1 is actually trying to make an effort to clean up his act, so I will give him credit for that.

There's no harm in ribbing people about their drivers.

And, IMO, your opinion is nothing more than bait.

I'm just waiting for others to speak up about it and deal with it then.

Have I been unfair to you? Have I not given you hundreds of chances to act like a normal human being? Why do you keep throwing it in my face?

Stop being a jerk and just have fun.

Somewhat a seque in this thread, but an interesting topic.

Richard Petty and Darrell have both admitted to lingering beyond their competitive years. Though never have I heard either voice regret for even one extra day they spent on the track

David Pearson, Cale, Harry Gant, retired with competitiveness intact. I don't recall any regrets being voiced by any of them either.

Some, Fred Lorenzen, Bobby Isaac, retired virutally at the top of their game. A decision they regarded later with bitterness and regret.

One thing all of these names have in common. They were special, in being special earned the right to retire in any dem way they chose. Owing the sport and the fans absolutely nothing.

There are some who never had the choice;

Another group, Bobby Allsion, Ernie, simply found themselves unable to continue through injuries.

And the last group, sadly needs no explanation.

PS - Other names are deserving of mention in all the above. It is no slight if they are not noted. It was not the intent to chroncal them all.

Originally posted by rpmallen
I know, kat2220, but ts1 is actually trying to make an effort to clean up his act, so I will give him credit for that.

There's no harm in ribbing people about their drivers.

Agreed rpm, after all, look at the fun us Spencer Club Members have:p
PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Opinions are MEANT to be disagreed with. It's why we have this place to argue them. I do agree Jeffy should retire or at least get out of NASCAR, he has done enough. But if he doesn't I can always hold onto the hope in 15 years he'll be driving a horrible car and be blowing motors every race.

Next to be banned: Ciggie. Lol.

15 years from now, we'll see if Gordon will still be racing for Team Hendrick. That's a long time to stay with the same team, but it could happen. Dale Sr. was with RCR for over 2 decades, I believe.

ts1 & ciggie if your favorite driver was the same age is jeff and had done as much as him somehow I doubt you would be saying the same

That would be awsome i hope it does come true even for one race. i would like to see DW always try to make the Martisville, IRP and Bristol races in a one off deal with a team or two so he always has knowledge of what the new cars are like. Plus if he got with a good team like CGR he could win. I hope Chip does a smart thing, IMO DW is the better choice than Bickle and Bliss

And for the jeff Gordon 15 years down the road, he also is part owner of the 24 car as well, plus he has a lifetime contract with Hendricks so as long as HMS is around Jeffy will be racing with them

I recently left a board that I had been a regular with for a good 4+ years. The reason....I was tired of walking on eggshells and having to be so careful that people did not "misinterpret" MY opinions that it became unpleasant to be a regular anymore. Our opinions are just that...OPINIONS...and how we express them is also unique to us. In the short month that I have been here I have not seen anyone that came across as offensive. I know it is hard to respect others opinions when they do not mirror your own but it is admirable to do so.

That said, bring it on for DW if that is what he wants to do! His love for racing is unquestionable and regardless of his performance or lack of in anyones opinion he has earned the right to do pretty much whatever he wants in a race car. That would be true of any former champion. Come on back Pearson, Yarborough, I for one would LOVE that!

Kel

DW ran well at IRP in that truck, maybe he could do the same at Martinsville.

Back
Top Bottom