Engine Wear Questions

19USMC69

Team Owner
There’s usually commentary w/regard to engine wear at the Coca Cola 600. So, this weekend the cars will be running more than 600 miles. Yesterday I didn’t hear any comments on this. Will we today? Are the engines built with different tolerances when they’re expected to run this long?

Stuff is bulletproof these days. Rarely do we see one of the top teams have an engine issue. When was the last,I can’t remember?

Two things EFI and money. Switching these engines to electronic fuel injection made them much more reliable. And then to counter no longer are these engines built in mom and pop shops, the three manufacturers are throwing some serious engineering on a consistent basis at these vehicles.

also I thought some teams brought 2 primary cars to the double header

They seem to be able to run qualifying laps for the entire race these days. In the past, part of being a driver was preserving the car for the end of the race. In F1, engines must run two races before being rebuilt and I think they have a limited number of engines for the season.

It is a lot of racing on one engine in a short time, but today's engines can take it. And as Marcingak pointed out, there won't be practice and qualifying laps on them.
The lower budget teams could be impacted - the ones that rent used engines (depending upon the condition of those rental engines).

also I thought some teams brought 2 primary cars to the double header
Typically all teams bring a backup car, and the well sponsored teams "back car" is as good as its "primary car".
But they have to start in the rear (of the second race) if they change cars. In such a long race, not sure that's much of a penalty.

There’s usually commentary w/regard to engine wear at the Coca Cola 600. So, this weekend the cars will be running more than 600 miles. Yesterday I didn’t hear any comments on this. Will we today? Are the engines built with different tolerances when they’re expected to run this long?
You ask some good questions.

Back
Top Bottom