ESPN Cancels NASCAR Now

I was afraid that was going to happen. I had noticed my dvr wasn't recording it lately. Race Hub has always been my favorite, but i also liked Nascar Now. Maybe, i will give Nascar America another chance.:(

ESPN is going with what got them there..stick n ball. I haven't watched five minutes of ESPN since it started, nothing there that I am interested in. Tried to watch the one Nascar show, but I don't like to watch programs where I am made to feel like they are doing me a favor by broadcasting it. Apparently I wasn't alone. Fox isn't any better, just stuck deeper and longer economically so they have to do something even if it is half assed and filled with stick n ball news.

ESPN is going with what got them there..stick n ball. I haven't watched five minutes of ESPN since it started, nothing there that I am interested in. Tried to watch the one Nascar show, but I don't like to watch programs where I am made to feel like they are doing me a favor by broadcasting it. Apparently I wasn't alone. Fox isn't any better, just stuck deeper and longer economically so they have to do something even if it is half assed and filled with stick n ball news.

Actually, NASCAR racing was very instrumental in building ESPN's empire. Why do you think FOX and NBC paid out the ass for NASCAR?

oh ok.. My point is this..same point for Fox. putting racing on the back burner while stick n ball takes precedence. I am sure they can fill the spot with more stick n ball talk shows and move on.

Due to ESPN's various sports commitments, there have been several interferences with NASCAR broadcasts. This is especially true once college football season starts, when Nationwide Series races will often follow an early college football game. The broadcast start has also been delayed by Little League Baseball and ATP tennis. Many times (at least 15 as of 2010), NASCAR Countdown and even the start of the race have been moved to ESPN Classic or ESPNEWS. Due to contractual agreements with Turner, ESPN cannot put broadcasts with ESPN3.com, another fact that has angered fans. However, in 2011 an agreement was reached letting ESPN put all NASCAR programming on WatchESPN.

In 2010, because of the movement of the Chase races to ESPN and the earlier standardized 1:00 PM ET start times instituted by NASCAR, ESPN moved NASCAR Countdown to ESPN2 for all Chase races starting at 1:00 PM ET to avoid shortening or moving its Sunday NFL Countdown program. Viewers had to switch to the race at 1:00 PM ET from ESPN2 to ESPN. The next year, NASCAR moved the Chase races to later times (2:00 ET, then 3:00 ET for the final three races).

Let's implement a dynamic new championship system and generate a ton of buzz, this year, so it can be shown on a network that does not give a **** and doesn't even want to air the races and, in fact, sought to have NBC buy out the remainder of their contract. Bloody brilliant.

NASCAR

...until the end of the season. Then, NASCAR will end up in ESPN Siberia. Maybe covered, maybe not. An afterthought at best. Just ask any NHL fan what happens post divorce.

Kind of the way they cover the NHL now?

Y'all mean they way they don't cover NHL , yes?

044242f07ea37c9129c9a275b2336666.png

Expected. Espn only covers sports they show on their network. When they were coveting UFC, they started having a ton of fighters on, ufc highlights but when they lost out to Fox, barely any coverage since.

Same with the NHL.

Nascar will be no different

Expected. Espn only covers sports they show on their network. When they were coveting UFC, they started having a ton of fighters on, ufc highlights but when they lost out to Fox, barely any coverage since.

Same with the NHL.

Nascar will be no different

They just play to the mainstream - like a TMZ of sports sometimes. I can recall a few times turning it on and their entire sidebar was about Lebron James... like really? I really miss SPEED channel - good thing Discovery has the velocity channel or this car guy would be lost :(

They just play to the mainstream - like a TMZ of sports sometimes. I can recall a few times turning it on and their entire sidebar was about Lebron James... like really? I really miss SPEED channel - good thing Discovery has the velocity channel or this car guy would be lost :(

I don't miss SPEED at all. Between Fox Sports 1, NBCSN, MAVTV, CBS Sports Network, Velocity and Fox Sports 2, motorsports fans are served quite a good portion.

Not surprised. on the east coast it was on at 2 am and half the time it was pushed later due to some other show.

I look for NBC to step it up big time on motorsports. Next year they will have NASCAR, F1 and Indycar plus others. I really enjoy NASCAR America too.

Can not say I am surprised either that it got canceled, we all knew it was going to be at some point, it does seem odd they canceled it four weeks before they take over coverage though.

Can not say I am surprised either that it got canceled, we all knew it was going to be at some point, it does seem odd they canceled it four weeks before they take over coverage though.

Just them giving us an early notice that they'll be flipping us the bird for 17 races.

3 shows was too many. Hopefully Craven goes to NBCSN.

Absolutely this. I worry that Craven is going to get lost in the mix. Not sure that the guy is made for the booth, but in terms of analysis in studio, he is the deal.

Absolutely this. I worry that Craven is going to get lost in the mix. Not sure that the guy is made for the booth, but in terms of analysis in studio, he is the deal.
He's always been a good analyst. He's been on Dave Moody's show, SIRIUSXM NASCAR Radio, for quite a while now. Tells it like it is and is very intelligent.

He's always been a good analyst. He's been on Dave Moody's show, SIRIUSXM NASCAR Radio, for quite a while now. Tells it like it is and is very intelligent.

I worry that he will be lost in the shuffle. Some higher profile "analysts" seem to have made their way over there with a tenth of the insight Ricky has. So show business goes.....

It's past time for a change at FOX. He needs to be up there with Mike Joy next year.

Aside from Krista Voda taking over, Dick Bergerren retiring, and the addition of Mikey, Fox's on-air presence hasn't changed one bit. It's become stale, but Fox seems happy with the lineup they have.

Aside from Krista Voda taking over, Dick Bergerren retiring, and the addition of Mikey, Fox's on-air presence hasn't changed one bit. It's become stale, but Fox seems happy with the lineup they have.

My problem with the FOX on-air team is that it's the same people who were covering the sport in the 1990s. The experience is fine, but they desperately need some younger blood over there. Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip and Larry McReynolds are still stuck in the Dale Earnhardt era. That era's been over for a long time. It's the same thing over at ESPN as well but they're gone in a few months so it doesn't matter.

Race car soccer is what the fans REALLY want, or race car hockey
zzz.jpg

My problem with the FOX on-air team is that it's the same people who were covering the sport in the 1990s. The experience is fine, but they desperately need some younger blood over there. Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip and Larry McReynolds are still stuck in the Dale Earnhardt era. That era's been over for a long time. It's the same thing over at ESPN as well but they're gone in a few months so it doesn't matter.
Atleast Darrell & Larry are multiple championship winners. Petty & Dallenbach over here aint got **** on them.

I think it is a good practice that they have actual drivers in the booth, and a professional announcer to keep the lid on. Seems to be a good formula. I don't particulary like a Nascar news show that doesn't have a majority of drivers but is full of smiling faces reading off a teleprompter. X drivers have a better chance of getting information because they know people in the business.

Back
Top Bottom