F1 - 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix

who in the hell ok,ed armco barriers.they are just death waiting to happen.
I don't get it either. For all the prestige of the FIA they sure do live in the past sometimes with certain things. Even today when Perez was stopped on track a marshal ran toward his car straight across the active track right in front of Lando Norris...

How do they not have any SAFER barriers still except for a couple of sections at Baku and Montreal too? It's insane to me how they'll penalize a team for "unsafe release" for their car coming within feet of touching another car in the pit lane (but not even making contact) and yet we see armco railing angled into the track like it's the 1970s.

F12-1.jpg

This corner is part of Zandvoort, a track in the Netherlands that was recently renovated for F1 to race there. This corner was built within the past year to FIA Grade 1 specs (which is the required safety level of a track to be able to even host an F1 race).

It's an odd setup because the actual racing surface is the lower half (below the white line in the middle of the pavement) while the upper lane is all runoff. But then it runs off into an old-school concrete wall (no SAFER barrier) with a regular catch-fence. This is two years after ex-F1 and Formula E driver current Felipe Massa criticized IndyCar for generally doing "not much" in terms of safety, calling out Pocono specifically for their walls and fencing...

Now that we can breathe a sigh of relief for Gro, time to look ahead.
My guess is they ask one of the top 3 in F2 standings to fill in.
That would be Schumacher, llott, or Mazepin. Or does Haas have a surprise
for us? Somebody from Charlotte with NASCAR ties?

Pietro Fittipaldi has his super-license as the test/reserve driver. I think he attained his after a 5th place in the Asian F3 series.

None of the F2 Ferrari juniors are qualified as of yet.

Pietro Fittipaldi has his super-license as the test/reserve driver. I think he attained his after a 5th place in the Asian F3 series.

None of the F2 Ferrari juniors are qualified as of yet.
Ah, the old super license. I forgot about that. Thanks Kiante.

Realistically I think Hulkenberg, at least for next week. If they even field a second car at all, not sure what all they have on site and what would have to be delivered to the track by Friday.

View attachment 50745

This corner is part of Zandvoort, a track in the Netherlands that was recently renovated for F1 to race there. This corner was built within the past year to FIA Grade 1 specs (which is the required safety level of a track to be able to even host an F1 race).

It's an odd setup because the actual racing surface is the lower half (below the white line in the middle of the pavement) while the upper lane is all runoff. But then it runs off into an old-school concrete wall (no SAFER barrier) with a regular catch-fence. This is two years after ex-F1 and Formula E driver current Felipe Massa criticized IndyCar for generally doing "not much" in terms of safety, calling out Pocono specifically for their walls and fencing...
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they were planning to add SAFER barriers in the banked turns at Zandvoort.

With the extremely wide runoff areas at most tracks we rarely see F1 cars actually hit a barrier nowadays.
This was a head on impact at 221 kph. I have no clue why there wasn't a tire barrier there.

Unbelievably good news. The crash was just sickening. No one could have foreseen such a wonderful outcome in real time, until we saw Romain climb over that barrier and leap into the arms of the medical car guy. Then to see him sitting in the back seat of the medical car, chatting with the doctor... wow, such a wonderful moment.

I might be wrong, but offhand I don't recall any prior incident where the concept of the medical car chasing the start has paid direct dividends. But it is such an obviously good concept. And dividends were paid today for sure.

I was somewhat irritated at the Sky commentary, trying to give a roses and rainbows tone to their commentary before they knew it to be true. Better to just say they await info, and not speculate, IMO. Also, I'm sure they are wrong about Romain being just 18 seconds in the flames. By my stopwatch it was 26 seconds to the point he leaped over the barrier, so probably 23-24 seconds in the flames, I think. And it seems ridiculous to speculate that those flames were just a couple liters of fuel. But overall, this is a small quibble. Thank God Romain is OK.

View attachment 50745

Thinking about it, if a car spins it looks like it would likely slide down the banking directly into oncoming traffic.

Back
Top Bottom