F1: 2020 Belgian Grand Prix

Lewis (wins easily) : wasn’t the easiest of races
1598798706158.gif

They shouldn't have let sainz walk.
I think Sainz would be around the same area IMO. I think Albon has been struggling with setups and the team tried copy and pasting Max's setups to his car, its obvious its not working along with that car.

Sainz is good, but at times Norris is beating him more times than not.

Well, now we're paying the price for having such a fabulous Indianapolis 500. Anything else is going to look lame after that. To make it even worse, the instant contrast to last night's Gateway race is stark in the extreme. Now F1 gets followed up by another Indycar great race from Gateway. It's rough to be an F1 fan when just about anything on wheels puts on a more competitive race.

I don't think we can criticize Botas for not being able to beat Hamilton more often. Lewis is just on another level from everyone else. No matter what the team says, Hamilton is the man and Botas is probably the best #2 on the grid. You kind of put yourself in that position when you're 50 points behind, but at least Botas can steal points from the others most of the time.

I'm having a hard time concealing my delight at Ferrari's misery. We were forced to sit through so many years of the FIA and Bridgestone giving Ferrari such preferential treatment that karma had to eventually intervene. I will always be convinced Ferrari was cheating the whole time, kind of like they were cheating so bad last year. Funny how once the FIA corrected what Ferrari was up to on fuel delivery it all fell apart. Ferrari has a four time world champion in one car, and they just signed the other to a five year contract. They sure can't blame the drivers for their current abhorrent form. It's a joy to see the mighty entertain us with an epic face plant every weekend. As far as i can see, this is the most entertaining aspect of the whole circus.

Don't worry. There's still Indycar to rescue the day.

I watched a bit of the race just to get a feel for it. The midfield action was pretty decent, but there was no battle up front. Early in the weekend Hamilton said the Red Bull threat was for real, but I didn't see it.

Don't worry. There's still Indycar to rescue the day.

I watched a bit of the race just to get a feel for it. The midfield action was pretty decent, but there was no battle up front. Early in the weekend Hamilton said the Red Bull threat was for real, but I didn't see it.
Hamilton says that basically every weekend. Toto too.

So this could (will) happen at Ferrari's 1000th GP. Ouch.

Ferrari has to make it out of Q1 before they can worry about getting stomped in the race. I really feel bad for their drivers, but it's just delicious to see Ferrari thrashing around and making the car worse and worse every weekend. Instead of making their motor better legally, they played the game of cheating the fuel flow, and once the FIA caught on, it bit them in the ass. Now, here they are, fighting with their own customers at the back of the grid. I hope they can maintain this level of suck for the rest of the season. Hell, they could actually get even worse, but that might be too much to hope for!

Not so good, though, will be Ferrari seizing the opportunity to ruin Carlos Sainz' career. Here's a guy who left a re-surging McLaren to live the Ferrari dream, only to jump into a merrily burning dumpster. Every team Carlos has been in, he has left in better shape, but now he's going to have a real challenge. Sainz is very good, and seemingly a righteous dude. It's sad to see him walk into this kind of mess when he could have been fighting for wins, or at least podiums, with McLaren next year.

While I feel bad for Vettel, at least he's the hell out of there at the end of the year, that is, unless he pulls a Lauda and walks away mid season. I would really enjoy that. Mostly I like Vettel and want him to escape before Ferrari sucks out his entire soul. I'm ok with Leclerc too. It's very bad that a guy in ascendancy like that is straddled with a hopeless pig, but he's locked in for five years.

Perhaps I am enjoying Ferrari's misery a little too much, but that could be a good thing. It's about the only thing keeping me even mildly interested.

Vettel is classy and professional. As bad as things must be he doesn't blame anyone and paints an optimistic picture. Sounds like he's Penske material to me.

Back
Top Bottom