F1 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix thread

45 minutes in and we're about to see the first timed laps in the session.

New qualifying rules will debut this weekend. Hard tires will be mandated in Q1, mediums in Q2 and soft tires in Q3. The new rules are intended to allow for a wider variety of strategies in the race.

I don’t think I can remember a good driver in a good car just unraveling like Checo has recently. Not very fun to watch.

I don’t think I can remember a good driver in a good car just unraveling like Checo has recently. Not very fun to watch.
Yeah what a mess. He was one of my favorite new drivers back in the day.
Thought he would be a world champion some day after being hired by Red Bull
when Max steps down from the throne.

Sounds like with the smaller tire allocation there were a number of different run plans in FP2, so I wouldn’t read too much into quickest lap times.

They’re reducing total sets from 13 to 11 this weekend, softs being halved from 8 to 4. Mercedes didn’t touch any of their softs in FP2 and Max went long on a single set of softs rather than any sort of qualifying simulation.

Hard to tell what's really going on because if the musical tire game, but at least Mercedes is finally fast on Saturday. Red Bull is 2,3, and I suspect they are just waiting to make their move. Still encouraging that Mercedes might be close enough to put up a fight.

.003! Please tell me we’re getting a Lewis vs. Max thriller again tomorrow.

1690040441270.jpeg

Q1 spread was 1.105 from P1-P20.

Q2 0.889 from P1-P15.

Q3 0.557 from P1-P10.

Each session on a common tire compound. Those are IndyCar numbers. This grid is tightening up more each week.

Wow. I was floored with Hamilton’s performance today. Totally unexpected and pretty much in my mind already disregarded anything more than maybe P4 or 5. But a pole? I’ll take that ****.

F1 is inexplicably better when Hamilton and Max are 1-2. A crash will follow. Lmao sad

Like all racing, F1 is cyclical. Rembemer it was just a few years ago Mercedes had won it's eithth consecutitive constructor's championship and seven consecutitive driver's titles. Before that it was Red Bull and Vettel with four straight, and before that Schumacher with five in a row at Ferrari. Before that it was Mansel in the car "a monkey could drive", and before that it was Prost and Senna. Someone has always been dominating. Right now it's Red Bull's turn.

Behind Red Bull, though, you never know who is going to get to the podium.

I sure was hoping for something other than a 35-second victory after seeing the qualifying result.
Perez has earned himself at least another week without calls for his firing. I still think it's insane to think that Hülkenberg or Ricciardo would run better than him.
Not a bad performance by Ricciardo on his return though.

Lando destroyed Max' winners trophy.
I missed that. What happened?

Riccardo had a quiet race and finished where he started. He didn't bang up the car or make any stupid mistakes, so that's probably the best he could hope for considering how little time he's had in the car.

That was a slow burn but it wasn’t bad. Pretty decent, was a bit disappointed Lewis got mugged at the start and Max just ****** off and did his thing after not showing so much ultimate pace yesterday.

Bitterly disappointed for Alpine too. Tough stretch for those guys.

Unless Max blows up, he's probably going to run the table.
Running the table will be awfully tough but it’s possible.

Max needs to win 8 of the final 11 to set the single-season individual winning percentage record.

Red Bull need to win 10 of 11 to set the single-season team winning percentage record.

I think both of those are more than possible.

It always is. I was disappointed to see they'll be coming here until 2032 but they do get a great fan turnout.
I wasn’t so big on Hungary for a long time but the last three races have been decent. Last year especially. Also one of the cheapest races to attend.

One more Max domination is at least one race closer to his early retirement and ensuing sports car career/bucket list tour, so that’s fun.

I wasn’t so big on Hungary for a long time but the last three races have been decent. Last year especially. Also one of the cheapest races to attend.
I don't think Sundays race was worse than the other races this season. The battle for the podium was pretty decent.

Max has led 79% of the laps this season btw. I'm surprised, I thought it was closer to 90%.

Back
Top Bottom