F1 2024 News/Misc.

One less place for Carlos to go. It's going to be a travesty if he can't get a competitive drive. I'de rather see him go to WEC than race a Willaims or Sauber. About all that is left is Mercedes, but Toto seems fixated on Kimi.

Checo is secured.

F1 teams value stability and drivers who don’t rock the boat to a fault. Don’t be surprised if Red Bull finish 3rd next year and are left looking like fools.

Probably still not going to give Lawson a chance at the junior team either.

LOL

These teams just don’t even try, man.

I defended Checo throughout last year when many folks were calling for him to be fired every other week. He was a great hire going into 21 but he has peaked.
If Max actually leaves Red Bull they're gonna be completely screwed. Perez is just not a championship caliber driver.

Doohan running FP1 in place of Ocon this weekend. Safe to say he’s the favorite for that seat.

Key items from the 2026 regs:

- DRS replaced by something called Manual Override from the MGU-K
- Weight down 30kg
- Wheelbase down 200mm, width down 100mm, floor width reduced by 150mm
- Downforce down ~ 30% and drag reduced by ~ 55%
- Active aero with two settings for straights and corners
- Partially flat floor and lower-powered diffuser
- Front tire width down 25mm and rear tire width down 30mm

The power regulations are by far the biggest question mark with the hugely increased dependence on electric power, but I like the sound of the chassis and aero changes.

- Weight down 30kg

The power regulations are by far the biggest question mark with the hugely increased dependence on electric power, but I like the sound of the chassis and aero changes.

The downforce is good, but with sustainable fuels you almost just wish they'd go to a Turbo V8 instead. The problem with hybridization on a road course in general is the instantaneous nature of power delivery. You're able to exit so well it's hard to get the jump and overtake on the straights.

I think Ricciardo knows he’s finished in F1. Helmut Marko all but confirmed Yuki is set to continue on the team for 2025 and hinted that the other seat will be between him and Lawson.

The downforce is good, but with sustainable fuels you almost just wish they'd go to a Turbo V8 instead. The problem with hybridization on a road course in general is the instantaneous nature of power delivery. You're able to exit so well it's hard to get the jump and overtake on the straights.
Given that these cars will be lighter, less powerful, have less downforce, and will generally be a lot slower, I hope they build significantly softer tires to match.

- Weight down 30kg

Finally they're making these cars at least a bit more compact. The TV pictures don't really show how huge these things are.
I'm most concerned about how a car races and not so much about lap time but I don't see how this car won't be much slower than the current generation.
It's not just the aero that has been cut down, they also won't have that 470 electric hp available every lap.
Domenicali said they're exploring V8s as an option from 2030 onwards.

Sainz shut down all speculation by saying nothing is done and you'll hear from him when it is. That was in response to the rumor he had signed with Wiliams.

Sainz has Two choices really so this is posturing from him.

He's lucky Audi has given him as long as he wants to decide because he's down to literally Audi or Williams. Ocon is actually highly reported to have already signed a 1 year deal with Mercedes for 2025.

Teams increasingly don’t really care about F2 performance, and instead focus on performance and feedback during simulator and private testing sessions. F2 is just something to keep them busy.
I don't know if that's a good strategy. Pretty much everyone who moved up to F1 in the last 15 years has shown at least some competence in F2 before getting an F1 race seat. Even Mazepin, Latifi and Haryanto won races there.
Ocon is actually highly reported to have already signed a 1 year deal with Mercedes for 2025.
By whom?
That's first time I've heard of that.

By whom?
That's first time I've heard of that.

Maybe the “highly reported” was a bit of a hyperbole on my part but here’s where I got it from.

Start at 4 minutes. (Looks like you have to click to watch on YouTube itself)

He’s a popular paddock photographer who often has some interesting info on drivers.

Mercedes would be silly to bring Ocon in and risk having the same problems he had with Gasly at Alpine or Sergio at Racing Point. Clearly not the team player he claims to be.

For as much flack as Ocon gets for being a “bad teammate” it is interesting that probably a majority of the incidents he’s had weren’t even his fault - especially with Perez. I think his “issue” is that he’s usually on par with his teammates and he winds up racing them more than other teams where there’s a clear distinction between #1 and #2.

Gene be like 30 millions you say??

I’m good with Red Bull giving Lawson a shot at the very least. You can’t say Ric hasn’t been given a hundred chances already.

For as much flack as Ocon gets for being a “bad teammate” it is interesting that probably a majority of the incidents he’s had weren’t even his fault - especially with Perez.
Perez ran Ocon into the wall on the Straight to eau rouge ..... twice in the same race and then took him completely out in Singapore.

I think his “issue” is that he’s usually on par with his teammates and he winds up racing them more than other teams where there’s a clear distinction between #1 and #2.
Not sure Toto wants another situation like Lewis and Nico. It looks like Kimi has probably got the ride anyway.

Back
Top Bottom