F1 moving away from free-to-air races.

Zerkfitting

Team Owner
F1 says it is pursuing a mix of free-to-air, pay TV and OTT (internet streaming). They think that is the future of sports broadcasting. I think the die hard fans will pay, casual fans like me will probably stop following F1. I wonder how they expect to get new fans.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42816877

That's rough.

F1 thinks they walk on air. They have this arrogance about them. It's not just drivers that do it. It comes from the top down.

That said though, I'd be willing to pay for a monthly subscription if is A, affordable. B, commercial free. And C, if they include practices, quals and post race interviews and such.

F1 is dead on the money however that streaming is just the way forward.

I'm surprise NASCAR hasn't done something like this yet. Back when I watched NASCAR races religiously, I would have subscribe in a second.

I'd subscribe to a NASCAR service under Reck's conditions. I'd pay extra if they offered an alternative audio service from MRN / PRN.

I watch one F1 race annually, and that's only because Monaco is run the same day as the I500 and Coke 600. That annual experience is enough to remind me why I don't find F1 entertaining, and I won't be subscribing.

I echo Zerkfitting's question regarding how they plan to draw new fans.

Can't be surprised they would pull a Monaco, SPA, Monza you name it, off the schedule if Somalia paid the Lords a higher fee.

Seriously shortsighted. Maybe a big pay day today, but insulating themselves from young future fans. If they don't grow up admiring the drivers it is almost guaranteed never to happen later on in life.

Meh I can live without ever seeing an F1 race again, not at all entertaining.

Everyone is moving away from the traditional V8.

F-1 moved too far, too quickly ..... they have taken away everything that I loved about the sport. High revving normally aspirated engines replaced by something that sounds like my neighbors lawn mower, and WAY too many bells and whistles for my liking.

F-1 moved too far, too quickly ..... they have taken away everything that I loved about the sport. High revving normally aspirated engines replaced by something that sounds like my neighbors lawn mower, and WAY too many bells and whistles for my liking.

I personally would like the TTV6 w/o all of the crazy tech.

In reality, they are up there in terms of power with the V10 engines of 2004. That Merc engine puts out over 1000 hp, easily.

I've been watching for over thirty years, and rarely miss a race. But I will not pay anything in addition to my cable bill to watch. (I'm about ready to cut the cord, and go with Hulu.) It might work for them everywhere else, but I don't think that many in the US will go for it. Then again I am the resident retard, so I am just as likely to be wrong.

I personally would like the TTV6 w/o all of the crazy tech.

In reality, they are up there in terms of power with the V10 engines of 2004. That Marc engine puts out over 1000 hp, easily.

Indy car managed to not mess it up too bad ...... I still watch and enjoy them.

I wont pay for something that's been free forever especially when it comes to entertainment.
Already paying enough for the cable/tv service. Liberty has pi$$ed off a couple of
big F1 teams now they want to do the same to fans. Good luck with that.

I can see offering broadcast AND streaming but not broadcast OR streaming. I'm not a fan of pay per view, I already pay to view TV via cable (F1 might think sports can work like movies).

I can see offering broadcast AND streaming but not broadcast OR streaming. I'm not a fan of pay per view, I already pay to view TV via cable (F1 might think sports can work like movies).
PPV works for boxing and MMA. Personally, I consider those niche sports.

F1? Moving exclusively to PPV strikes me as admitting your fan base is so small that there is no other profitable distribution model.

Not so much a US issue since ESPN/ESPN2 are more widely available and well-known than NBCSN, but this does not seem to bode well internationally. The comparison of the audiences between BBC/Channel 4 and the pay TV Sky F1 channel is striking.

And on starting at 10 past the hour and playing a soundtrack of music (wtf...Formula EJ?) - hard pass.

I'm surprise NASCAR hasn't done something like this yet. Back when I watched NASCAR races religiously, I would have subscribe in a second.

NASCAR's current TV contracts with Fox and NBC, the lifeblood of the sport, do not allow NASCAR to create a live streaming competitor. The races are streamed via Fox Sports' and NBC Sports' apps.

NBC refused to renew with F1 because of F1's demand to retain live digital rights, and ESPN took it on for $0 rights fees with this condition.

The cable television model is being disrupted, and it is true that streaming and smaller-scale digital subscription services are "the future", at least in the coming 10-20 years. These changes are occurring more quickly in Europe, which is partially why F1 is moving faster in this direction.

Last edited:
F1? Moving exclusively to PPV strikes me as admitting your fan base is so small that there is no other profitable distribution model.
Or its very large and they are just seeing how much $$$$$$$ they can get from the fans via PPV

NASCAR's current TV contracts with Fox and NBC, the lifeblood of the sport, do not allow NASCAR to create a live streaming competitor. The races are streamed via Fox Sports' and NBC Sports' apps.

NBC refused to renew with F1 because of F1's demand to retain live digital rights, and ESPN took it on for $0 rights fees with this condition.

The cable television model is being disrupted, and it is true that streaming and smaller-scale digital subscription services are "the future", at least in the coming 10-20 years. These changes are occurring more quickly in Europe, which is partially why F1 is moving faster in this direction.

Oh the machinations that go on behind closed doors.

Interesting tibits there.

Or its very large and they are just seeing how much $$$$$$$ they can get from the fans via PPV
Possibly. I named a couple of sports with smaller audiences that are mostly PPV; I can't name one with a large fan base that uses PPV as its primary method of distribution.

Anybody know how Premier League soccer or any of the other major football organizations are done in their home countries?

Possibly. I named a couple of sports with smaller audiences that are mostly PPV; I can't name one with a large fan base that uses PPV as its primary method of distribution.

Anybody know how Premier League soccer or any of the other major football organizations are done in their home countries?
I understand what you were saying and you made a valid point(s), F1 does have a very large audiences, my personal opinion is I see this as a cash grab in some ways.

But I could be wrong, I dont follow F1 .

Even with the NBC Sports Gold thing, I think America has better EPL coverage than the UK. I believe they're exclusively cable over there (Sky and BT).

I think the lack of net neutrality has a bearing. In Europe it has been going on longer than it has in the U.S., but when that last domino fell, the last porthole was closed. I don't think they care too much about the U.S. audience but they must think they can gig the Europeans by putting the series up for a bidding war between the various gatekeepers over there.

Formula one has not been very good since 2014. The cars look awful and don't race well. They actually race extremely badly. Every race there is some sort of stupid controversy about someone putting a wheel over a white line or something equally stupid. The circuits have been emasculated with car width curbings and miles of paved run off. Starting this year, we are having the hideous halo forced upon us, I guess because the cars were not ugly enough. If all of that is not enough reason to turn it off, the drivers have become entitled little ballerinas who chop, block and swerve at each other like possessed little rabid zombie children. They have no idea how to race cleanly, and their dirty driving would see them thrown out of any other credible series.

That, and both Ferrari and Mercedes are threatening to quit and start another series because everything is run so badly. Didn't we just go through 11 years of this kind of crap with Indycar? Really? Great. Another war where all the fans hate everyone. Who wants to stick around for more of that?

Oh, and Diffy, Matchette and Hobbs, who were half the reason for watching anyway, won't be back.

And now, now they want me to pay for it too?

No thanks. Sportscar racing is having a major renaissance in the US, and it's looking promising in Europe too. Indycar has a sexy looking new car too, so with this much good free racing, why would I pay to watch a series I have grown to disdain?

Yes, some might think I am just an internet complainer, and you can be forgiven for that because there are certainly enough of those. However, I think once the new cars roll out wearing a jungle gym on top of the ****pit and still can't race each other, I suspect a lot of you will be joining me at the IMSA and Indycar races.

I'm not sad about this. I am actually damm angry. I've followed F1 very closely since 1968 and they have seriously ****ed it up to the point it was almost not worth watching even before the talk about having to pay for it..

I read today they are replacing the grid girls with grid kids. That doesn't sound like an improvement to me.

Back
Top Bottom