F1 Pay Drivers List

Hotrod

2022 RFFL Champion
Emerson Fittipaldi is complaining about this trend so I
thought we would make a list and keep it current.

Who are they , team , where do they get the funds?

1) Lance Stroll *** Aston Martin*** funding from fathers Canadian business

It’s pretty much impossible to start on and move up the ladder without personal backing to some degree. If you said a pay driver was simply someone who wouldn’t currently be at this level without money that would’ve been Zhou, Latifi (Sofina), and arguably Stroll. Zhou has done well enough to be in F1 on merit beyond his debut season, Latifi is headed out the door, and I doubt Lance is going anywhere any time soon. Would he still be in F1 if it weren’t for his dad’s funds/owning a team? Hard to say anymore. He’s okay, but not sure he’s okay enough to be in F1 beyond five? six? years now.

One of four ways.

- Have a wealthy family willing to back you.
- Have a wealthy family with businesses to sponsor.
- Be good enough for OEM support.
- Be a one-of-a-kind talent to gain the necessary noteriety.

Also, tbf pay drivers are just as good now in days honestly. I think its a bit of a trope now in days to out them in such a negative light. I mean, not unless if they bought their way through.

The thing about Aston Martin and me giving Lance a lot of slack is that there wouldn't be an Aston Martin F1 team if it wasn't for Lance being a racer and his Dad being wealthy enough to basically buy the car company to facilitate his kid's dreams. It's a lot different than getting a seat with a sponsor for a year or two. Besides Lance has managed to get 3 podium finishes, which is a lot better than 1/2 the field.
We could also talk about the "worst" F1 driver and Michael Andretti's stats would be close to the top.

One of four ways.

- Have a wealthy family willing to back you.
- Have a wealthy family with businesses to sponsor.
- Be good enough for OEM support.
- Be a one-of-a-kind talent to gain the necessary noteriety.

Also, tbf pay drivers are just as good now in days honestly. I think its a bit of a trope now in days to out them in such a negative light. I mean, not unless if they bought their way through.
I’d say the one regard in which the Super License has actually worked positively is that the floor has been raised a lot as far as what kind of talent is coming into the sport. There are still some series that are undervalued by it but it’s not like guys are able to be dog water in F2/F3 and just buy an F1 ride. You still have to be competent enough in junior formulae these days to get SL points, the back-of-the-grid guys aren’t nearly as wank as in much of the lengthy history of the sport.

Back
Top Bottom