F1: Round 6 Monaco

Leader down on power and still can't be passed due to that track configuration. Another boring Monaco race but I will always watch.

I feel like Vettel didn’t give much of a **** if he won or finished second today.

Good for Danny though. I think Verstappen redeemed himself a bit today too. Could have easily wadded it up coming from last.

F1 continues to be boring, I got through like 15 minutes before I turned it off.
I will not be tuning in to most of the F1 races, but I did enjoy watching this race this year. Honestly, I probably will not even watch another one this year, except maybe COTA.

Monaco always keeps my attention. Yea , Grosjean is painting himself into
a corner for sure. I think Newgarden would be a great fit if he wanted it. I have not
heard anything but I am ready for another change at Haas.

Sooo happy for Daniel. Glad he got his "redemption". Podium party was good
and seemed amicable amongst combatants for the most part.

Danny Ric shows everyone just how clutch a driver he is again. :D
He was able to hold off everyone in a crippled car. Well done.
Ocon and Gasly, those two were the other best drivers of the race. Badly needed points results for both of them. Bravo.

Williams. They put another nail in the coffin. They have the worst driver line-up on the grid.
Hartley and Leclerc got together, which is quite a shame. Leclerc might have been able to get a point, and Hartley needs any points he can get.

The only of yesterday's trifecta that was up in viewership, which is interesting. If ever there were an argument that large audiences watch racing because it is considered a major event and not because of the amount of passing and action that happens, it is improving ratings for the Monaco GP.

The only of yesterday's trifecta that was up in viewership, which is interesting. If ever there were an argument that large audiences watch racing because it is considered a major event and not because of the amount of passing and action that happens, it is strong ratings for the Monaco GP.

Or because there's nothing else on at 9 am

The Indy 500 direct lead-in for the afternoon replay helped for sure. But both showings were up, and the live one is the best F1 rating on cable since 1995, really? Wow. Any way you spin it, that result supports Liberty Media's belief that there is growth to be found in the American market.

The Indy 500 direct lead-in for the afternoon replay helped for sure. But both showings were up, and the live one is the best F1 rating on cable since 1995, really? Wow. Any way you spin it, that result supports Liberty Media's belief that there is growth to be found in the American market.

I think the American audience likes the no commercial breaks bit too. That has to be playing a part.

Once you tune in, you're less likely to change channels when the broadcast is continuous and flag to flag.

The only of yesterday's trifecta that was up in viewership, which is interesting. If ever there were an argument that large audiences watch racing because it is considered a major event and not because of the amount of passing and action that happens, it is improving ratings for the Monaco GP.

Hard to take anything away from the encore viewership and combined viewership IMO, but the live broadcast being the most-watched cable race in 23 years is certainly impressive.

I've been impressed by the Sky coverage, which I'd never seen before. It is very good, better than anything Americans have had before, and the commercial-free aspect makes it even better. I've also taken notice of the amount of re-air slots ESPN has devoted to F1. That is evidence that ESPN likes having racing on their network... and bodes well for the future IMO. I predict ESPN will be a bidder for racing rights in the future (keeping my fingers crossed).

Espn's president, is close to somebody high up in Liberty Media, so they got the rights for nothing. Not a small amount, but zero dollars. I really don't think they want motor sports there, but this deal was too good to pass up. Now that motor sports fans see ESPN showing commercial free races, and their top quality announcing, they might start expecting more from the other networks. It would be interesting to see what other networks would be willing to pay to broadcast a commercial free race.

The commercial-free aspect wasn't planned in advance. First race ran with horribly timed commercial breaks inserted with no transitions, and ESPN reacted to the outrage from fans by going commercial-free for 2018. Not a big loss for them because they are paying so little to produce the programming.

NBC was previously paying a paltry $3 million annually for exclusive U.S. rights. ESPN's price dropped to zero because F1 wanted to retain streaming rights for their online service.

What will be interesting is whether an increase in ratings and the possibility of an additional US GP as soon as next year create more demand and value for the rights in the next TV deal.

I don't know if this has been posted here already, and I'm feeling a little too lazy too look. :p

The strife at Williams continues.

Further technical personnel changes have been made at Williams in the wake of the disastrous start to the season of the team’s 2018 car, the FW41. Chief of aero Dirk De Beer has parted company with the team. This comes just three weeks after chief designer Ed Wood left.

“Williams can confirm that Dirk de Beer has stepped down from his role as head of aerodynamics, effective immediately. The team would like to thank Dirk for his hard work over the past year and wish him the best for the future. Chief engineer, Doug McKiernan, who joined Williams earlier this year will now assume full responsibility over the aerodynamic and design direction of the car, with Dave Wheater stepping up to take on the role as head of aerodynamics,” a team spokesperson stated.

De Beer joined the team in March of last year from Ferrari, where he’d served alongside James Allison – the pair having moved to Maranello from Renault at Enstone where they’d worked together for five years. He oversaw the aerodynamic concept of the FW41, which was a radical departure from the Williams cars of 2014-17 and showed a strong Ferrari SF70H influence in its concept. However the car has been a great disappointment and at Barcelona was the slowest of all.

I don't know if this has been posted here already, and I'm feeling a little too lazy too look. :p

The strife at Williams continues.

Further technical personnel changes have been made at Williams in the wake of the disastrous start to the season of the team’s 2018 car, the FW41. Chief of aero Dirk De Beer has parted company with the team. This comes just three weeks after chief designer Ed Wood left.

“Williams can confirm that Dirk de Beer has stepped down from his role as head of aerodynamics, effective immediately. The team would like to thank Dirk for his hard work over the past year and wish him the best for the future. Chief engineer, Doug McKiernan, who joined Williams earlier this year will now assume full responsibility over the aerodynamic and design direction of the car, with Dave Wheater stepping up to take on the role as head of aerodynamics,” a team spokesperson stated.

De Beer joined the team in March of last year from Ferrari, where he’d served alongside James Allison – the pair having moved to Maranello from Renault at Enstone where they’d worked together for five years. He oversaw the aerodynamic concept of the FW41, which was a radical departure from the Williams cars of 2014-17 and showed a strong Ferrari SF70H influence in its concept. However the car has been a great disappointment and at Barcelona was the slowest of all.
I just watched a BBC documentary on Netflix about the Williams team, pretty interesting. Frank Williams and to a certain extent the team itself has seen it all and done it all. It’s a bit sad to me they are sliding further and further down the grid

I just watched a BBC documentary on Netflix about the Williams team, pretty interesting. Frank Williams and to a certain extent the team itself has seen it all and done it all. It’s a bit sad to me they are sliding further and further down the grid
It certainly is quite saddening. Williams used to have its very own spot among the "big three" teams of the sport. Throughout the late 2000's and the early 2010's, however, their results, as well as their reputation ended up being obscured quite a bit. They chose some real duds of drivers for several years, chiefly Maldonado and Bruno Senna. They are the ones that spring to my mind. Yes, I do know that Maldonado won a race for them, but let's be honest here, he did nothing on any other day aside from that magical Spanish Grand Prix weekend. Since you mentioned them sliding further and further down the grid, Snappy, that's what's really gotten me this year. For a few years, they had the solid duo of Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas, who helped spring the team into a revival of sorts with a pole position or two and many podiums between the two of them. We all knew Massa was going to leave at some point or another; he had established his reputation as the Michael Jordan of F1 since he made more comebacks than any other driver, but it absolutely chaps my ass that Williams ever even thought that the driver combination of Lance Stroll and Sergey Sirotkin would ever produce any sort of chemistry or results. Yes, I'm going there. :p Robert ****** Kubica could have and should have gotten Sirotkin's seat, and it will be no surprise to me whatsoever if he does end up showing his face on a race day before the season's end. /minirant

It certainly is quite saddening. Williams used to have its very own spot among the "big three" teams of the sport. Throughout the late 2000's and the early 2010's, however, their results, as well as their reputation ended up being obscured quite a bit. They chose some real duds of drivers for several years, chiefly Maldonado and Bruno Senna. They are the ones that spring to my mind. Yes, I do know that Maldonado won a race for them, but let's be honest here, he did nothing on any other day aside from that magical Spanish Grand Prix weekend. Since you mentioned them sliding further and further down the grid, Snappy, that's what's really gotten me this year. For a few years, they had the solid duo of Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas, who helped spring the team into a revival of sorts with a pole position or two and many podiums between the two of them. We all knew Massa was going to leave at some point or another; he had established his reputation as the Michael Jordan of F1 since he made more comebacks than any other driver, but it absolutely chaps my ass that Williams ever even thought that the driver combination of Lance Stroll and Sergey Sirotkin would ever produce any sort of chemistry or results. Yes, I'm going there. :p Robert ******* Kubica could have and should have gotten Sirotkin's seat, and it will be no surprise to me whatsoever if he does end up showing his face on a race day before the season's end. /minirant
Doesn't Sirotkin have some kind of sponsorship? I think that's why Williams chose him. I think losing Valtteri Bottas really hurt them. He was always in the top 10 and sometimes even on the podium.

It certainly is quite saddening. Williams used to have its very own spot among the "big three" teams of the sport. Throughout the late 2000's and the early 2010's, however, their results, as well as their reputation ended up being obscured quite a bit. They chose some real duds of drivers for several years, chiefly Maldonado and Bruno Senna. They are the ones that spring to my mind. Yes, I do know that Maldonado won a race for them, but let's be honest here, he did nothing on any other day aside from that magical Spanish Grand Prix weekend. Since you mentioned them sliding further and further down the grid, Snappy, that's what's really gotten me this year. For a few years, they had the solid duo of Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas, who helped spring the team into a revival of sorts with a pole position or two and many podiums between the two of them. We all knew Massa was going to leave at some point or another; he had established his reputation as the Michael Jordan of F1 since he made more comebacks than any other driver, but it absolutely chaps my ass that Williams ever even thought that the driver combination of Lance Stroll and Sergey Sirotkin would ever produce any sort of chemistry or results. Yes, I'm going there. :p Robert ******* Kubica could have and should have gotten Sirotkin's seat, and it will be no surprise to me whatsoever if he does end up showing his face on a race day before the season's end. /minirant
I loved Schumacher and Ferrari, still like Ferrari with Vettel and Kimi. However Juan Montoya and Williams, were a close second. I always respected Williams and was excited when they did well on a Grand Prix Weekend. Is Stroll any good or is he in the seat because of Daddy’s money? Does the kid have any potential?

Doesn't Sirotkin have some kind of sponsorship? I think that's why Williams chose him. I think losing Valtteri Bottas really hurt them. He was always in the top 10 and sometimes even on the podium.
I thought Stroll was the one with the sponsorship?

I loved Schumacher and Ferrari, still like Ferrari with Vettel and Kimi. However Juan Montoya and Williams, were a close second. I always respected Williams and was excited when they did well on a Grand Prix Weekend. Is Stroll any good or is he in the seat because of Daddy’s money? Does the kid have any potential?
I thought he had a little bit of potential to begin with. He showed glimpses of brilliance last year. They were few and far between. This year, Lance has been pathetic, especially in the latest round. He moaned, whined, complained, asked a lot of questions, and had no answers. A guy who comes over the radio and starts saying stuff like "What is the point in even racing anymore?" does not give off the impression of one who will last in F1.
I believe so, but do not take my word for it. I am not positive.

Back
Top Bottom