Facts to ponder,

H

HardScrabble

Some bits on Bristol and WC from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The Bristol sweep

Kurt Busch, driver of the No. 97 Ford, will go for the Bristol Motor Speedway sweep Saturday night in the Sharpie 500. Busch won the first Winston Cup race of his career when he captured the Food City 500 in March. He'll try to become the ninth different driver to win both Bristol races in the same season.

-- Three time sweepers: Darrell Waltrip (1981-82-83) and Cale Yarborough (1974-76-77).

-- Two time sweepers: Dale Earnhardt (1985 and 1987).

-- They swept once: Fred Lorenzen (1964), David Pearson (1968), Bobby Allison (1972), Richard Petty (1975) and Rusty Wallace (2000).

Title watch

The top-five drivers in the Winston Cup points race have a mathematical chance of leaving Bristol as the points leader. However, should Mark Martin win the Sharpie 500, Sterling Marlin can maintain his lead by finishing seventh or better regardless of lap leader bonus points for either.

Who's hot

-- Kevin Harvick has eight straight top-15 finishes.

-- Jimmie Johnson has 18 top-15 finishes in 23 races.

Who's not

-- Jeff Gordon, who was 19th at Michigan, has finished 22nd or worse in four of the last eight races.

-- Kurt Busch has finished 41st twice and 39th in his last three races.

On the right track

-- Jeff Gordon has finished eighth or better, including four victories, in 12 of the last 15 races at Bristol.

-- Dale Jarrett has finished ninth or better, including one victory, in 11 of the last 15 races at Bristol.

-- Rusty Wallace has scored 26 top-10 finishes, including nine victories, in 37 career races at Bristol and has three victories in his last seven races there.

-- Ward Burton has scored five top-10 finishes, including four of the last seven, in his 17 races at Bristol.

Headaches

-- Ricky Rudd has never won in his 49 races at Bristol.

-- John Andretti has only two top-10 finishes in 15 races at Bristol, both were top fives.

-- Joe Nemechek has finished 16th or worse in all 15 of his races at Bristol.

-- Bill Elliott has finished 15th or worse in the last nine races at Bristol, including back-to-back 36th-place finishes in the fall of 1999 and spring of 2000.

-- Michael Waltrip has just one top-10 finish in the last 11 races at Bristol.

-- Dale Earnhardt Jr. has finished 14th or worse in four of his five races at Bristol.

-- Robby Gordon has finished 32nd or worse in all four of his races at Bristol.

Track position

Forty-seven of 83 Cup races at Bristol have been won from the first four starting positions (57 percent). Only 13 races have been won from a starting position outside the top 10.

History book

-- Fred Lorenzen won the first pole at Bristol in 1961; Jack Smith won the inaugural Cup race at the track.

-- The track was re-configured to 36† banking, the most acute on the current schedule, and re-measured at .533 miles for the 1969 Volunteer 500.

-- The first night race at Bristol was the 1978 Volunteer 500.

-- The track surface was switched from asphalt to concrete for the 1992 Bud 500

Interesting stuff. And I thought baseball fans were the only ones absorbed in statistics.

Starting spot matters at Bristol because of the back stretch pits. I think Dale Earnhardt won once from about 33rd pitting on the back, but he drove his fanny off to do it, and more than likely helped a few of his fellow competitors find their way to the garage in the process. And yes, he had that in him folks...don't even start.

Consider this: Someone, not mentioning any names pennzoil, hits the wall on lap 4, resulting in a caution. The restart will be single file with 42 or 43 cars. You are a half a lap down in 25th! Now imagine you had a good car, just didn't qualify well jeffburton. You took ye olde provisional. You're 34th, 3/4 of a lap down, the leader a straightaway behind you, and Casey Atwood and Hut Stricklin are side by side in front of you. And folks wonder why Bristol has so many cautions??!!

Should be fun y'all. As bad as we need rain up this way, I hope it waits til Sunday! Get your beer coolers out, take the ribs off the grill, lock the kids in a closet, (I'M JOKING!!) and settle in for a great race.

Great statistics HS. I'd been looking at some of the archives and noted the starting positions relative to finishes.
TN, another good post and entertaining. Atleast I thought so. LOL I liked the one about locking the kids in the closet (just kidding too). We had a couple that had no kids but when they'd be around someone else's kids would ask where their's were. Their response was " we left them home in the freezer". I'm telling you there were some shocked faces on the kids who asked. I actually thought that was a good concept but couldn't figure out how to do it and get away with it. ROFL

Back
Top Bottom