Fans, Fans, Get yerself identified!

H

HardScrabble

Much to my dismay, I have discovered that I am seemingly not a fan. Neither of these shoes fit.:(

Quiet around here, Are a you a loyal fan or a wagoneer?

Are you a Loyal Nascar fan?
November 6, 2002
By: Mary Henry

Are you a Loyal Nascar fan?

Are you a Band Wagon Jumper?

Loyal Fan: To me is no matter what happens or when, your Driver is never wrong. Always backs their Driver.

Band Wagon Jumper: A Fan that goes from one Driver to another. Especially if Driver is a Winner.

Loyal Fan can be summed up in one Name, Dale Earnhardt Sr. They are still and will always be Loyal Fans to Dale Sr. If Sr. Fans have choose another Driver, it is within DEI, or RCR Racing. That's the way it should be.

Band Wagon Jumpers it is like, Hey Johnny Benson ran awesome Sunday, always knew He could do it. Johnny is The Man. That is this week. Next week will be Hey Tony Stewart, you been watching Him? He is a Champ, and gonna Win the whole deal, that's My Man. Like Larry Mac on Totally NASCAR, I would like to know who His Man really is, each week it is different.

Another good EXAMPLE ONLY:
Rusty ran over Jeff Sunday, and Jeff ran over Rusty Sunday. same thing just different ways to say it. For Me I would say GO RUSTY, but Jeff Gordon Fans feel the same about their Driver. They would all say Go Jeff. So getting to the point, your Driver is Never wrong no matter what He says or does. That is a Loyal Fan. NASCAR saw No Foul, No Harm, and better yet No Black Flags.

The Rookie chase this Year, has been by far the Best in a long time. Just wait, We have Jamie next year and He has already Won a Race.

So stick to your Driver or Drivers and give them all you got, cause every Sunday they give you everything they got.

This Sport needs more Loyal Fans. Fans are what makes this Sport the Best, and I think We all should be heard.

So what kind of Fan are You? Loyal or a Band Wagon Jumper? Sorry I am a Loyal Fan, and very proud of it. Just something to think about.

I guess I'm not a fan either. I know when my drivers do things that are wrong but I'm still behind them.

I guess I don't fit into either category either. Yes, I still admire all of Dale Sr.'s accomplishments and wish he was still alive and racing, but I don't think ANYONE can do NO wrong. And most of these drivers (there are a few exceptions, and most know who I am referring to) are able to admit when they are wrong, and apologize for their mistake(s). :uhmnotsur

What a stupid letter. A "loyal NASCAR fan" would be just that...loyal to the sport of NASCAR. Its success, as a sport, (IMO) lies in the fact that every race is a crap shoot...and there is no single dominant team/driver. Just about 25-30 of 43 drivers realistically have a shot to win every week.

A "loyal NASCAR fan" would encourage mixed results...it suggests nothing about supporting your favorite driver regardless of his performance...

:rolleyes:

I agree with Pbunch and if anyone can identify a Wackadoo he's the man.

Methinks someone had the Jack Daniels sitting too close to the keyboard...what a crock.

I "jumped " on the Stewart bandwagon in 1999, the first time I saw him in WC. I never really followed Indy cars that much, but I had heard a little about him. I saw him race in 1999, first part of the season, and picked myself a driver just to piss my husband off. Guess I picked a good one, huh?

....continued...
I "picked" him not only because of his racing abilities, I also thought he was cute. My husband said he was a homosexual (his word, and one he had never used before). I replied, "That's why he drives the Homo Depot Car". The name Homo Depot stuck, and my husband still calls him that. And since Tony is switching to Chevy next year, you can sure bet my husband will be aboard the Homo Depot train. LMAO.

I am a band wagon jumper. I do have one favorite driver, but it is nice to see different people win races. (ie Johnny Benson). And I KNOW my fav does wrong!!
pbunch is right about Mary Henry!!

Originally posted by #84 NVRA
I agree with Pbunch and if anyone can identify a Wackadoo he's the man.
Wackadoo= Rosie Odonnel,Hillary Clinton,Janet Rino,And Tony Saprano's sister.:D

Originally posted by HardScrabble
Much to my dismay, I have discovered that I am seemingly not a fan. Neither of these shoes fit.:(  

Quiet around here, Are a you a loyal fan or a wagoneer?

Here's another question...why did you (anyone) pick your favorite? The reasons for this can be as varied as there are people. I consider myself a fan of racing, whether it is NASCAR or what ever. I've been backing Bill Elliott through thick and thin since 1985. I picked Bill because he was winning, exciting and oh how fast he drove.

I guess I am a loyal fan( at least by this person's description).
I was a very loyal Dale SR. fan. as far as I was concerened he could do no wrong. and when something did happen I would always blame the other guy. now I don't have a real favorite, I pull for DEI and RCR teams and mainly JR. after all he does have the name.
I am proud to be a diehard Dale Earnhardt SR. fan and always will be.
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
OK bring on the shots I can take it.;)

Just to expand on this a little I wrote this article and published it on an internet site 4 weeks before the season started this year. I thought it would be interesting to see if members here sound off in much the same manner now with the season coming to a close.

“What Type of Fan are You?”
By Kelly Boland

In the 30 plus years that I have been a racing fan I have come across all different sorts, some that stand out for various reasons but all with that common bond. They love racing! One of my favorite pastimes at the track is to people watch, and I have this system of categorizing the fans from across the country.

Blast from the Past: BP’s love to look back! When they hear about a new driver or owner, the first thing they do is seek past information about them. They do sometimes make the mistake of making snap judgments based on information they have found but that does not always take away from their ability to deal with the present day. They are good company at the tracks if you care to hear about the “little guys” out there.

Number Crunchers: NC’s can give you statistics on just about anything racing related. Most are “Specialized”, they can give you certain driver info or manufacturer info, but there are the “Generals” out there that just love stats. They seem to band together with other NC’s at the track!

That’s MY Driver: These fans have ONE driver, and that driver might as well be the only one out there on race day. You will NOT be able to get him/her to watch the progress of anyone else and don’t even try to talk to em if their driver is leading! Oftentimes you can spot them when a certain driver wrecks…they are ones heading for the exits.

Fair Weather Fan: The driver that is doing the best for any given season has the FW fans! They might not know anything about him/her but that’s the best driver, they are sure of it! You can spot them when they say “Last year I kinda liked………” They are good company if you like the same driver.

Wagon Jumper: There is a different between the WJ and the FW! The Wagon Jumper goes with the flow. Whichever driver is getting the most publicity, has the most popular fan base, or is the favorite of the majority of their friends. You can spot them when that guy was next to you at the Busch race hollering for Jeff Gordon and the next day 3 rows down hollering for Rusty Wallace.

The Group Hug: GH fans have a team or group of drivers that are their favorites. All one team, or all brothers, etc… They are usually very well versed in the present day and history of their favorites. If you want to know the home state of one of their jackmen this is the fan to see!

Brand Loyal: “I don’t care who wins as long as it’s a Chevy/Ford/etc” And they are serious too! They will have a VERY good excuse if any other make crosses the finish line first. Their make is often considered disadvantaged to some degree. The Ford in the parking lot with tons of driver window decals, some scraped off, is the easiest way to spot them.

The “Anybody But” fan: This fan has a favorite usually but you will most often hear him/her say they can’t wait to see “so and so” crash! They try to lead the crowd in Boo-cheering during driver introductions and shake their fist at a certain car just about every time it comes around. They can tell you EVERY time that their favorite driver has been wrecked by their “Anybody But” driver. It matters little who wins, as long as it is not THAT driver.

The Paraphernalia fan: As if the hat and shirt with the drivers logos, number and name pasted across them was not enough, this fan has a car and antenna flag, numerous bumper/window stickers, belt buckle, shoelaces and socks that all tout their favorite driver. Their homemade tributes are usually the best, like the burning barrels with car numbers punched into them with rivet guns or the all popular hand painted paint scheme on their personal vehicles. Watch out for this fan if you get to close his driver’s souvenir trailer, he is on a mission!

The “What Race” fan: This group is here for the Party! The want to see Keg’s of beer, women’s breasts, port a johns, barbeque sauce and a music source more than they want to see racing! The campground owners can spot them a mile away, their vehicles are toting pig roasters, firewood and everyone inside has a koozie can holder to disguise the beer. During the race you usually see them passed out on the infield or if they couldn’t make it that far, on the grass by the port a johns at the campground. If you are worried about sleeping in too late on raceday you can usually rely on them to wake you in the early hours of the morning because their party is still going strong.

The First Timers: This group is my favorite. They have a budget for souvenirs and stop at every trailer to look for the best deal. They look lost before they even get to the parking lot and it only gets worse for them from there. That is, until the race starts. Once the flag drops they are as close to the fence as they can get. The look on their face is priceless from the start of the engines to the finish. They don’t know it until the next time that they buy a ticket that they are hooked!

No matter what type of fan you are I maintain that there are no better sports fans in the world than race fans! I am always eager to meet all types with each trip to a track that I make. We make the races memorable with our own uniqueness.

That is great DJfan..........and boy I can sure see some of those you speak of. What's more, I've been most of those fans at one time or another!!:D

Originally posted by racer8
I am proud to be a diehard Dale Earnhardt SR. fan and always will be.
I've got many a friend who like you have mourned since the death of DE and for some reason, either can't watch the sport any more, or can't find a new favorite. I'd call this being a loyal fan to DE, but not necessarily a fan of racing. While I was never a fan of Dale, I always respected his ability to drive. I was present at Daytona when he died and felt a real sense of loss. However, because I'm a loyal fan of racing, I'd be able to pick a favorite if and when Bill Elliott retires. It may take a while before that driver attains the high status in my mind as Elliott, but nonetheless, I'd have one. Jr. has almost attained that status for me now, but I also like a couple of the other boys.

As a still proud DE fan, I salute you!:beerchug:

I am a loyal fan!! I have stuck with Kyle for many years and last year i had plenty of good reasons to stop being a fan of Kyle, but I never did!

Now for my second driver that has changed around befor.
I like Jermey a while ago, then Tony but back in 2000 with johnny alomst winning the Daytona 500 thats when I got hooked on JB and since then he has been my number 2 man. Since then I have always said he can do it, Once kyle steps out of the seat Johnny will be my #1 driver and the whole Petty Enterprise team will be #2

When i started fallowing racing I was a terry labonte and Dale Earnhardt fan. At Bristol in '99 I was so excited to see my 2 favorite drivers duking it out for a win. When dale spun terry i didnt think anything of it. But when terrry started complaining, I became a loyal Dale Earnhardt fan until the day i die. I believe inside the last 5 laps, alls fair. When Dale died i cried and moped around for a week. When steve pulled into victory lane the next week i knew everything would be ok, I now root for DEI and RCR.

I've been watching racing ever since I was little, when I started I was an Ernie Irvan fan because he is from Salinas, which is an hour drive from where I live. When Jeff Gordon (Vallejo) moved to cup I started pulling for both of them. I guess I cheer for the guys that come from around here. I was upset for weeks after Ernie was almost killed at Michigan.

I am a loyal fan then because I have always liked Ward Burton.....

I picked DE out in 1979. I don't know what it was about that wild-eyed, wild-haired, and even wilder driving man that got to me, but I was hooked. He was, and always will be, my driver.

His death devastated me, but I never gave up the racing he loved so much. Junior is starting to get to me, just like his daddy did.

I do pull for other drivers, but never the way I pulled for Dale.

That article/letter was obviously just written to start trouble. Unfortunately you find a lot of crap on the Internet, and I usually just ignore ones like that if i come across them.

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
I picked DE out in 1979.  I don't know what it was about that wild-eyed, wild-haired, and even wilder driving man that got to me, but I was hooked.  He was, and always will be, my driver.

His death devastated me, but I never gave up the racing he loved so much.  Junior is starting to get to me, just like his daddy did.

I do pull for other drivers, but never the way I pulled for Dale.
My feelings exactly

Bad article, does not embody in my opinion what a fan is by any means. Guess I am not a fan.

writing for speedway media is simply a matter of registering and submitting an artcile.....anybody with a keyboard and a modem.....sigh....

Back
Top Bottom