Favorite Driver and Why?

4tires17gals

Team Owner
I like Michael Annett because he is my age. Also, he almsot always comes in last but completes all the laps, like my bowling skills. I finish the league , but always in last place.
Furthermore, I am a Chevy guy and is getting an Aero. Furthermore, HCott racing did well to expand while most teams flood.

Jeff Gordon is good choice too . Winning 13 races in a season in the modern era is just amazing. Nearly half of today's field has never won 13 races total!

Dale Jr.

Obviously not for his racing prowess, but his personality and just his history in the sport I'm general. I started to really like him in the 2001 season for obvious reasons. Sr. was my favorite till that point, but Jr's win at Daytona locked him in as my favorite and have liked him since. No matter how bad he does.

Chase Elliot, Larson, and Truex are tied for second.

In chronological order since 1992 when I was 6...

Kulwicki
Irvan
Jarrett
Kenseth
Edwards
Keselowski

All time Favorite non Ford driver....maybe Jr I like him as a person, very likeable guy everyone likes him.

I have a favorite but prefer not to divulge that information on online forums because that opens up the opportunity for flame wars (I try to stay as unbiased as possible online). However, I will say that I support the local drivers and only the local drivers no matter what. That goes for all sports...if my state doesn't have a professional team in their respective sport, I will boycott that sport until we get a team.

Elliott (not the kid) , Irvan, Brad K , and yeah I'd love to have a beer with Bowyer, cool guy

I like Michael Annett because he is my age. Also, he almsot always comes in last but completes all the laps, like my bowling skills. I finish the league , but always in last place.
Furthermore, I am a Chevy guy and is getting an Aero. Furthermore, HCott racing did well to expand while most teams flood.

Bobby Isaac as even the Silver Fox sings his praises which is high praise indeed.

Bill Elliott, no one else has come close.i like Chase and Ryan Blaney.

Davey Allison (1988-1993)
Rusty Wallace (1994-2002)
Kurt Busch (2002-2005)
Kurt & Kyle Busch (2005-present)

Grew up a Rusty fan due to his rivalry/friendship/respect with Earnhardt and his cool/confident demeanor. When he retired I followed Mark Martin until he too, eventually, called it quits. I also liked Irvan, Davey Allison and Bobby Labonte back in the day.

I don't have a true "favorite" driver per se right now. I do root for Truex Jr. though but haven't bought a single #78 item. I also like Kurt Busch.

Losing drivers and keeping fans is a real struggle NASCAR faces. My dad was a HUGE, HUGE Elliott fan. Since Bill retired his interest level has never been the same. It's not easy to carry over the same passion/emotion to another driver.

Last edited:
Ha he says "a beer" Bowyer is a guy who you have 12-18 beers with.

this is close I had a beer with his cousin haha....Im from Minnesota but have gone to the Kansas race about dozen times. My buddy who I stay with is neighbors with his cousin...

Austin Dillon fan.

I watched his dad race some at my local track back in the early 90s. Got the chance to meet him, I didn't know who he was married to till later. My family(except me) was full of Earnhardt fans so we all kinda pulled for Mike when he'd run. I was a Bobby Labonte fan. When he went into semi retirement, I was looking for a replacement. Just before that, I got to meet Austin after a K&N race( I think it was Camping World series east back then) at Sout Boston. He was awesome. Even though he finished 2nd or 3rd, he was frustrated but gracious to fans. I had my new driver. Ryan Newman kinda filled the gap till Austin got to Cup.

Buckshot Jones was fun for a while. Had he won a few more Busch races, especially Dover 1997 fall where he was so close, Everham would have
picked him up. That aquafresh car was hot, and mass produced at KMart for its million dollar die cast contract.

Right now I'd say Jr and Kurt Busch. Junior is as close to the old guys as you can still get, and I've always liked that Kurt wasn't afraid to speak his mind (and Kyle, too). Still, its harder to pick favorites these days than years back. The personalities are so much harder to identify with.

Right now I'd say Jr and Kurt Busch. Junior is as close to the old guys as you can still get, and I've always liked that Kurt wasn't afraid to speak his mind (and Kyle, too). Still, its harder to pick favorites these days than years back. The personalities are so much harder to identify with.
Two great personalities there. In my opinion there are several others. Clint Bowyer , Tony Stewart , and Harvick are fun.

Started watching in the early 90s as a kid. I had several drivers I cheered for (Irvan, Allison, Gant, Marlin) but didn't really develop a favorite until the beginning of 1994. By that point I had started to really like Gordon because he was talented, drove a Chevy, had a cool looking car, and he was young so I knew he would be around for a while. I would say that ended up being a good choice :D

Terry Labonte and Sterling Marlin were the other guys I always cheered for behind Gordon. These days it's Chase Elliott and Dale Jr.

I was a big Mark Martin fan and haven't really found a new favorite since.
I guess I'm a fan of BKes and Penske but I'm not a Ford guy, or Miller Lite guy, and I hated Rusty Wallace. (He and Mark used to get together every once in a while. haha)
But BK won the cup in the last Dodge, and I drive a RAM now so maybe there is a slight connection there, but all the cars are the same now so I don't really think that matters.

Other guys I like in no particular order
Bowyer, Dale Jr, Truex, Blaney, Elliot, DiBenedetto, Jamie Mac, Kyle Larson, Menard, Newman (only because he went to Purdue), etc.

Like I said, I don't really have a favorite right now, I'm just enjoying the season so far.

Buckshot Jones was fun for a while. Had he won a few more Busch races, especially Dover 1997 fall where he was so close, Everham would have
picked him up. That aquafresh car was hot, and mass produced at KMart for its million dollar die cast contract.

I bought a sweet Buckshot Jones #00 Aqua Fresh polo at Nazareth back in the day! That guy was awesome!

Brad Keselowski, since about 2011. Prior to that, Tony Stewart. I did pull for Smoke through his 2011 championship run, but was gradually shifting toward Kez because Tony's hypocrisy kept pissing me off. Brad had a spark of burning determination that won me over, and also he drove for The Captain, which helped a lot.

I became a huge fan of Mark Donohue and Roger Penske back in the 1960's (also Mario Andretti and AJ Foyt). My Nascar allegiance at the time was with Richard Petty and secondarily David Pearson. Then later Bill Elliott. Then Smoke.

I never really warmed up to Penske's drivers in Nascar, Rusty Wallace, Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman, etc. But Kez captured my attention, then my affection.

I bought a sweet Buckshot Jones #00 Aqua Fresh polo at Nazareth back in the day! That guy was awesome!

Buckshot Jones was the first NASCAR driver I met. He came to my high school (with Richard Petty!) to talk to us about not drunk driving. I went to a suburban school in Atlanta, so not a lot of race fans around. But I was geeking out so much that day and none of my friends could understand it lol. While I was more excited about meeting Petty, Buckshot was very friendly and patiently answered all my questions/signed my diecasts.

Kyle Bush-----Aggressiveness, Emotions
Kurt Bush-----Came back strong from personal issues and suspension from NASCAR
Danica--------Really want to see a woman do good in NASCAR, at this point i'm pretty doubtful

Keselowski. Original Mark Martin fan and knew I'd have to find someone to follow when he finally called it quits. BK was driving a Dodge when I started following him but I typically follow the Ford drivers more. Was glad when Penske went to Ford but I know historically they've jumped about. I like his aggressiveness and he's pretty clean. He doesn't try to intimidate anyone but he'll race you hard and doesn't give a crap who you are. And doesn't care that he isn't liked much in the garage. Not part of the 7th grade girl clique and doesn't care. Like his teammate.

I started out as a Richard Petty fan. Over the years I've had a lot of favorites - many of them mentioned in this thread. For the last I don't know how many years Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, and Matt Kenseth have been my favorites, I've followed them since they came up from Busch (and I watched Tony in Indycars). I also have about a half dozen drivers I like, I pull for them when my favorites aren't doing well. Since my favorites are retiring I've been looking for new favorites. Kyle Busch has become a favorite - I couldn't stand him when he started (he didn't know when to keep his mouth shut) but his racing has won me over (and his defiant bow to the booing fans - they don't boo much anymore). I'm paying attention to Larson, Elliot, Blaney, and Dillon to see how they improve. And every year I pick a journeyman driver (20-30 in points) to follow, this year I'm following Mears.

Matt Kenseth.

I've been pulling for Matt since I first saw him in a Busch race at Rockingham in ... '98? There was a caution with 30 or so to go, and this unmarked car pitted with the leaders. Most people the unsponsored car had to be a lap down and pitted with the leaders by mistake. Nope, he was on the lead lap and came out sixth or seventh. After the restart everyone was watching him pick his way through the field, working his way up to second. On the final lap, in turn three, he nudged aside and passed race leader ... Tony Stewart, who was running Busch as part of his transition from Indy cars. The crowd went nuts.

Five years later, Matt would lock up his (first?) Cup championship at the same track where he got that first Busch win, with a week left in the schedule. That's part of Matt's appeal to me; many of my memories of watching his early NASCAR career are tied to Rockingham, my favorite track.

Back
Top Bottom