Favorite Driver and Why?

My dad bought a bunch of old John Deere tractors and got me involved with his hobby of it. A couple years later I started watching Nascar and didn't have a driver so I picked Chad Little (John Deere). Next thing I know, this Kurt Busch guy is driving his car. The rest is history.

Martin Truex Jr. Aggressive yet remains cool and calm. Seldom, if ever, has anything bad to say about the sport or competitors.

Brad Keselowski
Rusty Wallace
John Andretti
Bobby Allison
Jeff Burton
Dick Trickle-Smoking under caution! As a matter of fact, at Martinsville in Sept. of '98, over a 100 degrees that day, we were listening in to different drivers' radios. They were all crying, "I need water, I need water." Not Dick though. He got on his radio and said, "I'm out of cigarettes!, I'm out of cigarettes." We had binoculars and could see one of his crew members rushing down pit lane with a pack of smokes.

Last edited:
In the 60's and 70's....... Pearson..... lost interest in the mid 70's.... Bill Elliott brought me back to watching.. then.... when Roush got in ..... ''88 .... with Mark Martin..... he was my only driver .... I don't have a favorite now......

My first memories of nascar were during the 2000 season. I come from a long line of Earnhardt fans. I think I was 5 years old the day sr got killed and I remember the crash and the whole day very vividly.

After that my folks became dale Jr. fans and that's who I've grown up pulling for.

Also been a big fan of tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick. Both for the simple fact they're gonna tell it like it is.

Truex Jr, been a fan of his ever since his days driving for Jr in the Busch series.

Ryan Newman, dunno just always been a fan of his. Would love to see him go back to victory lane.

Kurt Busch. Couldn't stand him until he went through all of his personal trouble. He was able to see his way through all of it and return to a top notch team and win some races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad Keselowski
Rusty Wallace
John Andretti
Bobby Allison
Jeff Burton
Dick Trickle-Smoking under caution! As a matter of fact, at Martinsville in Sept. of '98, over a 100 degrees that day, we were listening in to different drivers' radios. They were all crying, "I need water, I need water." Not Dick though. He got on his radio and said, "I'm out of cigarettes!, I'm out of cigarettes." We had binoculars and could see one of his crew members rushing down pit lane with a pack of smokes.

That was an epic race! Rudd literally had nothing left in victory lane.

Matt Kenseth.

I've been pulling for Matt since I first saw him in a Busch race at Rockingham in ... '98? There was a caution with 30 or so to go, and this unmarked car pitted with the leaders. Most people the unsponsored car had to be a lap down and pitted with the leaders by mistake. Nope, he was on the lead lap and came out sixth or seventh. After the restart everyone was watching him pick his way through the field, working his way up to second. On the final lap, in turn three, he nudged aside and passed race leader ... Tony Stewart, who was running Busch as part of his transition from Indy cars. The crowd went nuts.

Five years later, Matt would lock up his (first?) Cup championship at the same track where he got that first Busch win, with a week left in the schedule. That's part of Matt's appeal to me; many of my memories of watching his early NASCAR career are tied to Rockingham, my favorite track.

The first time I saw Kenseth race in Cup was at Dover when he filled in for Bill Elliott. Elliott's father had just passed so he opted to sit out the event. Kenseth brought home the McDonald's Ford in the Top 10!

That was an epic race! Rudd literally had nothing left in victory lane.
That was a good one. If I'm not mistaken, I think a few drivers couldn't finish the race because of the heat. Rudd laid on the ground with an oxygen tank in victory lane.

That was a good one. If I'm not mistaken, I think a few drivers couldn't finish the race because of the heat. Rudd laid on the ground with an oxygen tank in victory lane.

Ahh the days of driver changes, oxygen tanks, burnt feet and ice packs.

Dover use to grind guys into a pulp too back in the day. I remember several drivers suffering from heat related ailments when it was 500 miles. When Kyle Petty won his last race there in '95 he about passed out in victory lane iirc.

I feel like Geoff Bodine had some memorable rough victory lane interviews back in the day too.

Kyle Busch

1. Because Rusty retired

2. Because of Darlington 2008...Smackin' the wall every other lap while pulling away from the field and dominating. Did I mention telling his crew how terrible the car was handling while a full straightaway ahead?

Joey Logano

Originally I picked him as my driver when I started really following NASCAR in 2009 because my Dad was always a Tony Stewart fan, so in turn I was too growing up. When I really got into NASCAR I thought it best to pick another driver so we could have a little friendly competition on race day.. So I picked the guy who replaced Tony, and being new to NASCAR as a fan I went with the rookie.. there were times when I thought Id made a bad choice lol look at the last few years at JGR.. but turns out I made a pretty good one and Im looking forward to the next 20 or so years as a Logano fan. He is one hell of a driver.

Elliott and Kulwicki will always be my top drivers. Two guys who came in with a ragtag outfit and became champions. Today it's Keslowski with Chase Elliott about to take the top spot.

Kyle Busch because losing repulses him, and he does't care what you think.

I don't know if I have a favorite driver like used to with Petty. I have some that I really don't want to win because I believe they are a whiny driver unless they are the one that makes the dumb move. I generally go for the Penske group, Truex, Busch brothers and Tony. Going forward Chase, Blaney and Kyle L look like good possibles. Jr. seems like a really nice laid back guy but I don't really see him being around active much longer.

Darrell Bubba Wallace Junior

Could there be a name that screams NASCAR more than this? Plus he's a young driver with potential. Also like that he's a metal drummer on the side.

Bump. It's the offseason and there's not much to talk about.

Here's my order of drivers I pull for nowadays, ranking the whole field.....

1. Chase Elliott
2. Alex Bowman
3a. William Byron
3b. Kyle Larson
5. Ryan Blaney
6. Chris Buescher
7. Any underdog
8. Everyone else
Martin Truex
Kyle Busch
Denny Hamlin

In no particular order Bowman, Byron, Elliott, Wallace, Kurt Busch, Blaney, Cindric... all pretty equal

I don't root for Kyle Busch or Kyle Larson per se but I am grateful to watch them race. Despite Hamlin jokes being hilarious to me I don't really mind the guy mainly because of his connection with MJ. I rooted for Truex during his run with Furniture Row because I loved his story and that team's story. Never had one particular favorite since Jimmie hung up the NASCAR helmet.

I really am a Melon Man Fan and also, a Kyle Larson Fan. Having said that, I also like a lot of the current driver line up.

The ones I do not like are, Hamlin, Kyle Bush, nothing against them driving ability because they are very good, it is their a**hole factor I do not like.

All time? Jeff Gordon. One of my childhood hero's. I thought it was awesome he was so young beating guys old enough to be his dad and pretty much taking on establishment/culture. I grew up in Chicago area in the 90's so it was Chicago Bulls and Jordan....I was one the only kid wearing Dupont 24 shirts to school ( MJ was always my guy too though). I still miss watching JG race, it sucks we all have to get old at some point. I also have much respect to Dale Earnhardt, I truly wish I understood what a cultural phenomena he was when he was racing and I was a kid. Now...... well the JG fandom is divided up into no particular order between Chase Elliott, Kyle Larson, Kevin Harvick, William Byron, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch, Austin Dillon , and Tyler Reddick. But Racedays have never been the same, it legit ruined my day when Jeff crashed out or ran bad. Now I enjoy racing and the sport even more.

Kyle Larson.

1. I've see developed this habit of becoming fans of drivers I once didn't like at all. BK. Joey. Larson.

2. I just feel bad and happy for the guy and have developed a soft spot. He made a mistake, mindlessly, and it almost blew his life up. I believe in supporting missguided people. Larson has done a lot of work to better himself, but what stands out the most to me is how much of a person he's grown into. Watch any post race interview from 2019.

Not only does he LOOK much older than merely two years older, but his entire attitude just seems to have shifted. I think some serious introspective work, self consciousness, and efforts to grow have occurred and I respect the hell out of people who after struggling, develop an internal world to help navigate who they are as people.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This is an easy choice for me. My top 5 that are still racing.....
------------------------------------------------
Bowman
Larson
Elliott
Byron
Harvick

All Time Favorites - Mark Martin & Juan Pablo Montoya

Current Favorite Drivers
Kyle Larson
Brad Keselowski
Chase Elliot
Ryan Blaney
Kurt Busch

Still waiting for the 28 car to run again

Per Jr on downloa
when Jr first went to HMS their first choice of numbers was the 28, Yates and Havoline turned them down.
88 was next number wanted

I’m sort of a bandwagon driver now
was almost a Jr fan

The ones I do not like are, Hamlin, Kyle Bush, nothing against them driving ability because they are very good, it is their a**hole factor I do not like.

@sdj, would you please remove the political slogan from your signature line that appears in every post. This would reduce your own a**hole factor, and make the open forums more welcoming for all.

We have a separate section, The Podium, for political content. If you wish to proclaim your allegiance to a political faction that is attempting an illegal and anti-constitutional overthrow of free and fair elections, The Podium is the place to do it. Thank you.

@sdj, would you please remove the political slogan from your signature line that appears in every post. This would reduce your own a**hole factor, and make the open forums more welcoming for all.

We have a separate section, The Podium, for political content. If you wish to proclaim your allegiance to a political faction that is attempting an illegal and anti-constitutional overthrow of free and fair elections, The Podium is the place to do it. Thank you.
You can turn off signatures if it bothers you so much.

I’ve been a Larson fan since I first saw him in a sprint car in 2012. I love dirt racing so I pull for anyone with a dirt background. Larson, Bell, Briscoe.
I really like Kyle Busch for the tell it like it is attitude he has and who doesn’t love having a good villain in the sport
I’ve become way more of a Chase Elliott supporter this year as well.
I have a soft spot for Chris Buescher, AJ Allmendinger and Corey Lajoie. Bubba’s alright too.
Everyone else I have no opinion on... except Denny Hamlin. I hope Denny the Shamlin never wins a cup.
My all time favorite NASCAR driver is Jeff Burton, but oh my god get him out of the NBC booth. I loved Mark Martin as well.

Past:
Alan Kulwiki
Mark Martin
Davey Allison
Tony Stewart

Current:
Bubba Wallace
Kurt Busch

Not a "Fan" but respect their ability:
Kyle Busch
Kyle Larson
Martin Truex Jr.

Brown Nosing for Bubba's benefit:
Denny Hamlin

I have a favorite but prefer not to divulge that information on online forums because that opens up the opportunity for flame wars (I try to stay as unbiased as possible online). However, I will say that I support the local drivers and only the local drivers no matter what. That goes for all sports...if my state doesn't have a professional team in their respective sport, I will boycott that sport until we get a team.
so denny then?

Harry Gant was my favorite. I just always loved the Skoal Bandit car, and I liked the way Harry handled himself on the track and off.

Back
Top Bottom