Ferrari shatter more records in Spa

paul

Team Owner
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines02/0.../09/s10457.html

Ferrari and Michael Schumacher shattered more historical records in today's Belgian GP, when they scored their 50th consecutive visit to the podium and Schumacher took his tenth win of the season - the most a driver has ever managed in one year. The German put on an impressive performance to eclipse the previous lap record and set a string of fastest laps through the event.
"This result was better than we expected, as we were not sure what the situation would be in terms of temperature and tyres," he commented. "Our car is simply very good on high speed tracks like this one.

"The car felt good and I just enjoyed myself. I watched my pace for a couple of laps to look after the tyres and after that, with me and Rubens at the front, it was a case of just bringing it home.

"I had no problems, but having seen so many engines blow up, we eased up towards the end as we still had a margin over Montoya. It was a very nice race for me, as you don't always need to be fighting to enjoy the drive.

"The next race is in Monza, which obviously we would like to win as it is our home race. But I don't expect we will be so dominant, as we have seen Williams go well there in the past, but we should be very competitive. We will know more after next week's test there."

Rubens Barrichello came home in second after sprinting past Kimi Raikkonen at the start. The Brazilian raced in his spare car, but was still not entirely comfortable after struggling a little with set-up all weekend. "Considering the problems I had since Friday finding the right set-up I am very happy with this result and the fact I have extended my advantage in the championship by two more points," he smiled.

"Even this morning, I was still not happy with the set-up and honestly I made the wrong tyre choice. Before the start I did wonder how quick Kimi would be, but I got the jump on him at the start and that made life easier.

"As he tried to close the door on me, I was already alongside him at the first corner, so he had to back off and there was no way for him to get in front.

"I had worrying moments when both Massa and then Panis blew up in front of me. It was not just a case of trying to find my way through the smoke, as I also had to see if there was any oil on the track.

"I never considered asking the team if Michael would let me pass to help me get more points for second place in the championship. Michael was so dominant this weekend and got a good pole. It was clear after 3 or 4 laps I could not follow him and he deserved to win today."

Sporting director Jean Todt was also thrilled with the Scuderia's twelfth victory of the season and its sixth one-two finish this year. The team has now won the Belgian Grand Prix thirteen times, and taken their 156th victory overall.

"A dream race: yet another this year!" the Frenchman exclaimed. "Michael took off in the lead, making the most of pole position, while Rubens, thanks to a good start, managed to make up a place to go second.

"Everything went perfectly; the car, the engine, the Bridgestone tyres, the drivers and the team. Words cannot describe the season we are having. We have proved ourselves capable of winning on all types of circuit, thanks to a really exceptional package.

"Now we must maintain Ruben's position in the Drivers' Championship, a result he deserves. I am also happy that this win is the hundredth that Ferrari has taken in partnership with Shell."

Well good for them! But i still think that that stupid car must break sooner or later.

man hasn't yet built a mechanical device of that magnitude that hasn’t failed sometime down the road. It may be a while but eventually it will have a problem, but this shows its superiority in terms of reliability that is for sure

:) Maybe the next step is reliability family FIAT car for a change

Back
Top Bottom