Firecracker 400 Race Thread

48 is just to good.....happy smoke got 2nd and is now in the top 10 in points again:D

They always miss the fact that JJ will do anything to win, he did that stuff on purpose IMO, but when they interview him, he is smooth as silk. amazing just listened to them, they said Jimmy came down "a little bit". He blocked all freakin night, jumped in front of whoever had a run on him, hip checked Ambrose into his team mate. He knew what Ambrose was going to do when he went wide and let off. I saw a different race than the booth for sure. not mad but I can't believe none of them called him out. He's slick.

JJ has the best race car, team and can block better then anyone, lame. It's his title to win and really if he doesn't, it's his fault for not knowing the restart rules..

Unfortunately, I lost some respect for the best driver/team in NASCAR tonight. The 48 didn't block Ambrose...he hockey checked him! Fine for Bristol and Richmond...not so much for Daytona. He had the dominant car and didn't need to do that. Surprised Casey wasn't hurt on that one.

Another subject - ignorant question I know, but how does the 87 end up in every race? What's the point?

Another subject - ignorant question I know, but how does the 87 end up in every race? What's the point?

He qualifies ahead of most of the other underfunded teams and runs his laps to get the prize money for finishing 40th or wherever.

They always miss the fact that JJ will do anything to win, he did that stuff on purpose IMO, but when they interview him, he is smooth as silk. amazing just listened to them, they said Jimmy came down "a little bit". He blocked all freakin night, jumped in front of whoever had a run on him, hip checked Ambrose into his team mate. He knew what Ambrose was going to do when he went wide and let off. I saw a different race than the booth for sure. not mad but I can't believe none of them called him out. He's slick.

But IMO, hasn't Harvick,Edwards, Stewart,Gordon,Keslowski, Busch all done the same at some point.

But IMO, hasn't Harvick,Edwards, Stewart,Gordon,Keslowski, Busch all done the same at some point.
to a certain extent yeah. but this was blatant. he lured in Ambrose IMO, even said in an interview afterwards that he can feel where a car is even when it is in the other lane, he knew where Ambrose was. if you watch the replay he jerks it back after he made contact, he wasn't surprised by the hit, he anticipated it. Oh well, I don't think he is portrayed correctly by the press. Should be sneaky Jimmy, he drives like a rough driver, but he comes off as mr. clean and the press buys it. He won but it wasn't pretty IMO

to a certain extent yeah. but this was blatant. he lured in Ambrose IMO, even said in an interview afterwards that he can feel where a car is even when it is in the other lane, he knew where Ambrose was. if you watch the replay he jerks it back after he made contact, he wasn't surprised by the hit, he anticipated it. Oh well, I don't think he is portrayed correctly by the press. Should be sneaky Jimmy, he drives like a rough driver, but he comes off as mr. clean and the press buys it. He won but it wasn't pretty IMO

He just said in the press conference that he expected to get pushed along by Ambrose and the top line, considering he made a similar move on whichever line had the run all night. He didn't get that big of a push, and when the 9 ducked down under him, Jimmie came down to block and tapped him. I highly doubt he made the contact intentionally, given the position he would have put himself in had the caution not come out.

When was the last time you saw the 48 intentionally wreck another driver in order to win a race? Edwards has done it, Keselowski has done it...Tony Stewart ran into Michael Waltrip last fall at Talladega to try to win the race. That's racing, you gotta do what you gotta do to win. But in my opinion, Johnson is one of the cleanest drivers out there, which is why everybody usually races him with respect.

Just watched the finish on YouTube. Daytona has become just like every other track. It's impossible to pass the leader.

Bring the tandem drafting back.

Just watched the finish on YouTube. Daytona has become just like every other track. It's impossible to pass the leader.

Bring the tandem drafting back.

I myself liked the tandem drafting...I think the Nationwide series race last night was more exciting than the Cup race.

yep that is what he says. I watched him block all night which is ok to do. but Kahne had a car that was as fast or faster as his, he left Kahne in the lurch, hung him out. Kahne catches up after a while so Johnson moves up in front of Ambrose? Even the goofs in the booth and everybody else couldn't figure out why he did that. And then Ambrose gets hip checked and takes out the car that could beat him. too coincidental for me to swallow.

I dunno man...he just seemed to be blocking whichever lane had a run. I was listening to Jimmie's radio and as soon as his spotter let him know that the top lane was getting a run, Jimmie jumped up there. Given the fact that his car was so good, Jimmie probably felt invincible, and probably panicked a bit when his blocking didn't work out as well as it had been that time. I still don't think he did it all in an effort to hose his teammate.

I hear ya Dsquad, I'm not a JJ hater, but he is too sharp, doesn't make any sense to jump up to the top lane, Ambrose wasn't going anywhere, he and Kahne had been running off from the field all night long. BUT if you use Ambrose to wreck the field and make it look like a "racing incident" all is well, but like I said, I ain't buying it. He is thinking the whole race, he knows who is fast. He got rid of Danica in a heartbeat, and blocked Kahne who was coming on the inside, outrunning him. He knew how strong Kahne was.

Well I definitely agree that JJ is certainly more conniving than he appears to be :p

I thought it was interesting that in the top 10 there were....
7- Chevys
2- Toyotas
1- Ford

and the 2 yotas are Michael's. I couldn't tell if Michael was pushing Clint or not. I know he went back at least twice at Dega and got Clint and once he went back and got Truex. Most of the time this race he was in the 30's, came up so quick I missed him on the leaderboard. That dude is uncanny on restrictor plates.

He was blocking like crazy all night and ended up taking out a teammate. Too bad Smoke or Harvick couldn't get to him.

I forgot to mention this last night, but I chuckled when JJ was like "I don't think I made a bad move all night" in Victory Lane. LOL. Yeah JJ, you won and all, but that was in spite of you making two bad moves toward the end of the race.

That being said, I don't understand how some of you are complaining about JJ "blocking" the whole time when he was in the lead. You essentially have no choice but to block when you're leading a restrictor plate race - that's pretty much how the game works. It's either that or commit to one lane and get passed or force yourself to run side by side with someone else the whole time and have no control over your own destiny. Yes, he made two silly moves at the end there, but other than that, he ran that race the way you're supposed to if you want to win it.

BOijoamCAAEA-81.jpg:large

I forgot to mention this last night, but I chuckled when JJ was like "I don't think I made a bad move all night" in Victory Lane. LOL. Yeah JJ, you won and all, but that was in spite of you making two bad moves toward the end of the race.

That being said, I don't understand how some of you are complaining about JJ "blocking" the whole time when he was in the lead. You essentially have no choice but to block when you're leading a restrictor plate race - that's pretty much how the game works. It's either that or commit to one lane and get passed or force yourself to run side by side with someone else the whole time and have no control over your own destiny. Yes, he made two silly moves at the end there, but other than that, he ran that race the way you're supposed to if you want to win it.

He was doing it back in the pack in the early stages of the race as well.

He was doing it back in the pack in the early stages of the race as well.
Yeah, I should actually have clarified this in my previous post, but I had no problem with anything JJ did all night except for those two mistakes at the end. It's RP racing. You figure out which line has the momentum and jump in front of it right before it gets to you (or jump into it as early as you can). That's the most efficient way to move up through the pack. It's the nature of the beast.

Even Tony admitted that when people were getting on him for crying about Logano blocking at California when he wrecked half the field "blocking" at Talladega. RP races are a whole different animal. If JJ or anybody else did what he did last night at any track other than Daytona or Talladega, I'd be with you guys 100%.

Back
Top Bottom