First Indy 500

I plan on attending this year and I am considering seats in the NW Vista, J Stand, H Stand or SW Vista...any advice?

The IMS museum is closed for renovation if that matters to you or not. The renovations do look cool.

I plan on attending this year and I am considering seats in the NW Vista, J Stand, H Stand or SW Vista...any advice?
You can see everything but turn three form the H. Really good seats.

When you get there, yell out for the Brammer family and they will show you some Hoosier hospitality. Those are my cousins and they know how to party. It's not the same since they sold the Morturary business, but my uncle Jack would give out about 100 tickets. It was usually a big group of crazy morticians, and they are never very shy about having a good time. They will still probably be easy to find.

You'll sense the history and tradition the moment you get there. It's great every time, but your first is onc is a lifetime experience. It's impossible to describe being in a sea of 350,000 people all wound up over the same thing. My first was 1968. No matter how much I tell you about the immensity and intensity of the moment, you'll still be surprised.

Make sure you come back and tell us about it.

I'm sure it will be awesome. I went to the museum in the late 90s and went to the Brickyard 400 in 2002 and the IndyCar/NASCAR doubleheader last year. So while I realize this is a MUCH DIFFERENT event, I kinda have an understanding of the track experience, this time I get it with a full house.

I can't wait to see Larson take on this challenge. I have (maybe somewhat unrealistic, but then again maybe not) expectations for him to run very well.

I was down by T1 at the end of the pit. I loved it, especially with the battle at the end to the line.

The place is huge so it kinda feels like a giant road course, but it definitely is a hell of a spectacle. Park on the west side of the track, neighborhood to the east is kinda rough

i sat near turn 2 and could see all of 1 and 2, funny watching the cars head to 3 and just get smaller and smaller, iv also sat on pit row and i really could not see anything but a few pit stalls. have a good trip.

Be safe on your travels, enjoy it. Soak it all in! It is a once in a lifetime experience. You'll be amazed on race day at the amont of energy (and amount of people) in the air. Being from Indiana, I still would get goosebumps when I walked into that place. Enjoy it!!

I ended up going with J Stand S15 Row X. IMO best seats I could get for my budget ($200ish each) and I wanted to get tickets locked in.

It will take you a few years to get used to going to the Indy 500. Take plenty of food and drinks for one thing. You'll stand in line for up to 1/2 hour or more at the concession stands. I always took toilet paper. About 1/2 roll. They'll run out shortly and eating their food will give you the GIs. More importantly, be prepared to put up with 300,000 drunks. Falling all over you and your cooler. The vulgar stench in the rest rooms. Throwing bottles and breaking them in the streets. And the two hour wait of getting away from the track after the race. They block off all the streets they making only about 2 or 3 streets available get out of town. And if your seats are in the sun, it's hot and miserable. It's not a pretty experience.

It will take you a few years to get used to going to the Indy 500. Take plenty of food and drinks for one thing. You'll stand in line for up to 1/2 hour or more at the concession stands. I always took toilet paper. About 1/2 roll. They'll run out shortly and eating their food will give you the GIs. More importantly, be prepared to put up with 300,000 drunks. Falling all over you and your cooler. The vulgar stench in the rest rooms. Throwing bottles and breaking them in the streets. And the two hour wait of getting away from the track after the race. They block off all the streets they making only about 2 or 3 streets available get out of town. And if your seats are in the sun, it's hot and miserable. It's not a pretty experience.
gotcha 👍

20240301_113348.jpg

I usually got there about 6:00 a.m. and I would be the first few in the gate when it opened at 6:30. I parked in the handicap parking. In the past couple of years they moved us under those trees on the left. Cool!! Nice and shady. The day before the race , I would grill a couple of ribeye steaks, put them in a zip loc bags and take them to the race in a cooler, along with some mashed potatoes and beans. Then after the race I would pull my Coleman grill out of the trunk, along with a skillet and a couple of pans and a couple of folding tables. Then when everyone was trying to get out- sitting there in line in their cars for an hour to an hour and a half, I'd be chowing down on my food, reading the paper along with the other people parked there doing the same thing. Then when everyone was gone, I'd put everything away, get in my car and drive right out.

What do you guys know about ticket prices on the secondary market? Do they tend to go down in price the final few days before the race?

Back
Top Bottom