Fisher injured in final practice

P

PettyBenson

By Joe Crowley
indyracing.com

Saturday Aug 23, 2003

Sarah Fisher is awake and alert after an accident during the final practice for the Firestone Indy 225 IRL IndyCar TM Series event at Nazareth Speedway.

She was transported via air to Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, Pa. for evaluation of back pain, said Dr. Henry Bock, director of medical services for the Indy Racing League.

Fisher, 22, driver of the No. 23 GMAC/AOL/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone, spun to the left in Turn 3 and hit the outside retaining wall with the left rear of the car with approximately 10 minutes remaining in the final practice session.

The car suffered heavy damage to the rear and moderate damage to the front wing and suspension.

Further update on Fisher’s condition will be provided when available.

Bryan Herta led the final practice session with a lap of 20.6490 seconds, 163.010 mph in the No. 27 Archipelago/Motorola Dallara/Honda/Firestone.

Rookie Roger Yasukawa turned only five laps in the final practice session. Team officials reported an engine problem.

Yes, I saw the crash on RPM today, and although it didnt look like much, I guess something got pinched in that car, because she was complaining of back pain.

Jaques Lazier also crashed his Menards car yesterday and the team has withdrawn from competition this weekend after Vitor Miera was injured at their last race. I do not know if Lazier was injured or not.

Last I heard Sarah is ok just has back pain and was staying overnight at the hospital!

I did not hear the Menards was packign it up. AGAIN. 2 weeks in a row where they have crashed then packed it up. What do they not carry a back up on the truck!

Back
Top Bottom