Following the NASCAR points..... pointless?

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
C79caz1XkAAUJDv.jpg:large

Saw this pic of the points posted on Twitter this morning and it got me thinking about back in the day when I used to follow the points religiously. It's gotten to the point over the years that I've lost a lot interest in them. I miss the natural battle for the ultimate goal that took place for so long in this sport. Things have gotten so convoluted in this sport to the point where a weekly following of the championship battle has become pointless.

************************ IMO *****************************
And I miss the days when our family 75 Monte Carlo looked like the winner
on Sunday. Everyone misses something in the past. Cream still rises to the top
no matter what point structure is in place. Points debates are becoming
tiresome and just fuel the Nascar haters (but biggest fans) in the world.
So everyone take a shot of your favorite whiskey for everytime you see the
word "gimmick" in this thread. Bathroom is down the hall and on your right.

You can tell they're useless when even Fox doesn't even put the points after the race like they used to do.

I dont know if they show it on the post race shows but they dont on the regular one.

You can tell they're useless when even Fox doesn't even put the points after the race like they used to do.

I dont know if they show it on the post race shows but they dont on the regular one.
Yeah, someone gets the point...... phun intended.

I certainly try to check out the points every once in a while still since, as @Brigeton said, they still matter going forward into the Playoffs. But I will admit it's harder to keep track during the course of a race since you have to add X+Y+Z instead of just X anymore. I don't really remember where a driver is in points off the top of my head since their results don't necessarily reflect where they are in the points. And you also have to keep separate track of the Playoff points.

Not that it's rocket surgery and it's difficult to understand, it just takes a bit of time to take in and adjust to.

I have not been following the points since the third incarnation of the chase. IDK and don't care about the current format but there are stage points and playoff points I believe. I am not criticizing those who like this format but it just ain't for me.

The picture in the original post is the first time I've looked at the points this season.
Yeah, mine as well. When I saw it pop up on Twitter this morning it just got me thinking how this was an all important result of each and every weekend. Now, for me, it's kind of like, yeah..... Just tell me what it is after Richmond II. Until then, it really doesn't mean anything to me.

Isn't the regular season champ getting some sort of bonus this year? I was engaged in my futile attempt to abandon NASCAR in the off-season, so didn't keep up as much...

This whole points situation is out of control. It changes seemingly every season with no better result.

The picture in the original post is the first time I've looked at the points this season.

Same here and I can't even remember who is leading as it is really that unimportant to me. I have heard some people say it is similar to the old point system in how it rewards driver performance but if that is the case why not just keep it simple and reward points in a similar manner prior to the advent of the chase? JMO but if Nascar wants to keep emulating stick and ball they should have a simple system that takes 10 seconds to learn like they do.

Yeah, mine as well. When I saw it pop up on Twitter this morning it just got me thinking how this was an all important result of each and every weekend. Now, for me, it's kind of like, yeah..... Just tell me what it is after Richmond II. Until then, it really doesn't mean anything to me.

I figure when it is all said and done the usual suspects with maybe a surprise will be in the final 8 and 4 so I will let Steve Letarte and Jeff Burton tell me every three minutes that "if the race ended right now......"

I'm still getting used to how the points shake out, it's definitely not difficult figure out where a driver should end up based on how they do in a particular race. Ultimately though, yes, I have lost interest in the points standings. I used to memorize that noise week-to-week. Now I take a glance and look for the big movers once a week or two.

Impressive innit? ;)

I was thinking maybe they should award points for the fastest lap in each practice session and the most laps run in each session. The attendance at Cup practice is way down from a few years back and this would be one way to add some meaning to practice. Also, when teams don't practice, like at Talladega maybe they can have some point deducted. I don't think as many fans are visiting the race shops anymore either. Maybe they could come up with some points for race shop attendance, that way us fans could have a direct affect on the Championship...and one more...oh, wait never mind, time for my meds...

I was thinking maybe they should award points for the fastest lap in each practice session and the most laps run in each session. The attendance at Cup practice is way down from a few years back and this would be one way to add some meaning to practice. Also, when teams don't practice, like at Talladega maybe they can have some point deducted. I don't think as many fans are visiting the race shops anymore either. Maybe they could come up with some points for race shop attendance, that way us fans could have a direct affect on the Championship...and one more...oh, wait never mind, time for my meds...

Well done.

They really need to be bold and direct to attack the problem and enhance the experience. I think every registered Nielsen household should be able to assign their favorite driver points each race so long as they keep their TVs tuned into the race for its entirety. Or for each half hour they watch, they get to reward their driver with a fraction of a championship point. This interactivity would surely juice the ratings and make the points even more fun and meaningful to follow than they already are.

I still go off of old points system. This will seems like a crazy fantasy world but I believe in consistency. Points champion=true champ!
2016 Harvick
2015 Harvick
2014 Jeff Gordon
2013 Johnson
2012 Keselowski
2011 Carl Edwards
2010 Harvick
2009 Johnson
2008 Carl Edwards
2007 Jeff Gordon
2006 Johnson
2005 Tony Stewart
2004 Jeff Gordon

I have not been following the points since the third incarnation of the chase. IDK and don't care about the current format but there are stage points and playoff points I believe. I am not criticizing those who like this format but it just ain't for me.
The way I look at it, why make it more complicated than it needs to be? Again Nascar is trying to manufacture drama when all it should be doing is simplifying it, the drama will happen no matter what. I honestly don't think the Chase and modifications to the Chase have made the racing or the Championship battle any better, like dp said it has just convoluted things.

Well done.

They really need to be bold and direct to attack the problem and enhance the experience. I think every registered Nielsen household should be able to assign their favorite driver points each race so long as they keep their TVs tuned into the race for its entirety. Or for each half hour they watch, they get to reward their driver with a fraction of a championship point. This interactivity would surely juice the ratings and make the points even more fun and meaningful to follow than they already are.

Another way to get viewership up would be to take away points from your least favorite drivers if you committed to tuning in.

I hate the points system, I'll be the first to use the word gimmick as a poster above so mockingly said on his/her high horse. But saying that...... I havent paid attention to the points because watching Kyle Larson, Chase Elliott, Ryan Blaney, Erik Jones evolve into the next generation that will carry this sport has been so much damn fun. Seriously can you imagine this year if the Championship battle is Larson vs Elliott? Who cares about points distribution at that moment, we will have two young bad @ss drivers battling each other while both are driving balls to the wall. I really think Larson is about to rattle off a 5-7 win season here and Elliott once he gets his first the flood gates will open. I think also Blaney will win 2 here this year and Jones will get one. Plus you still have the 48 in their run for 8 and hoping they can turn it around, The Whats wrong with Dale Jr storyline, Kyle Busch is still a title contender and maybe just maybe an RCR resurgence. Throw all that in with the current young guns and I really havent paid attention to points.

I still go off of old points system. This will seems like a crazy fantasy world but I believe in consistency. Points champion=true champ!
2016 Harvick
2015 Harvick
2014 Jeff Gordon
2013 Johnson
2012 Keselowski
2011 Carl Edwards
2010 Harvick
2009 Johnson
2008 Carl Edwards
2007 Jeff Gordon
2006 Johnson
2005 Tony Stewart
2004 Jeff Gordon
This makes me sad, Jeff should be a 7 time Champion. Sad face.... man 2014 still hurts. He ran so well that year, proved he could still do it at a high level.

Well he is a 7 time champ in this nobodies book!!! And Harvick/Johnson are tied with 3 for most of active drivers! Edwards with 2 championships baby!!

I hate the points system, I'll be the first to use the word gimmick as a poster above so mockingly said on his/her high horse. But saying that...... I havent paid attention to the points because watching Kyle Larson, Chase Elliott, Ryan Blaney, Erik Jones evolve into the next generation that will carry this sport has been so much damn fun. Seriously can you imagine this year if the Championship battle is Larson vs Elliott? Who cares about points distribution at that moment, we will have two young bad @ss drivers battling each other while both are driving balls to the wall. I really think Larson is about to rattle off a 5-7 win season here and Elliott once he gets his first the flood gates will open. I think also Blaney will win 2 here this year and Jones will get one. Plus you still have the 48 in their run for 8 and hoping they can turn it around, The Whats wrong with Dale Jr storyline, Kyle Busch is still a title contender and maybe just maybe an RCR resurgence. Throw all that in with the current young guns and I really havent paid attention to points.
Points still matter in all of that, so you do have to pay attention it.

I stopped paying attention in 2014, but now that points matter again I've been paying pretty close attention.

But they don't really matter very much....winning matters!

Running up front matters a lot more even if you don't win. Come playoff time, the chances of someone 12-16th in the standings have virtually no shot of winning the championship.

The greater problem is that not only are people not paying attention to the point standings they are not paying attention to the series. Hans Solo could be battling Hope Solo and Napoleon Solo for the championship but more and more people are either tuning out altogether or have no interest in tuning in at all. Brian has a lot more enhancing in his future.

Well he is a 7 time champ in this nobodies book!!! And Harvick/Johnson are tied with 3 for most of active drivers! Edwards with 2 championships baby!!

It is interesting how different people look at Nascar's championship as the old way was great and even the first 2 versions of the chase were acceptable but anything after 2013 is just a lottery in my book. One thing to keep in mind is that you never know how much differently the 48 team would have raced if it wasn't bound by the chase rules that resulted in him being a 6 time champ.

It is interesting how different people look at Nascar's championship as the old way was great and even the first 2 versions of the chase were acceptable but anything after 2013 is just a lottery in my book. One thing to keep in mind is that you never know how much differently the 48 team would have raced if it wasn't bound by the chase rules that resulted in him being a 6 time champ.
At least from 2004-2013, the champion was a driver that had a really good overall season. I believe 5 of the 10 champions from that era would have won the championship even without the chase. The last three champions under the new format would have finished 5th, 20th, and 7th.

I think if a person is a committed Nascar fan they will know how the point system works and follow it. I don't know if I would be considered a casual fan or not as I see most of the cup races but have zero interest in the lower series or any type of midweek, pre-race or post race programming unless there is a first time winner or someone that doesn't win much takes the checkers.

I just pay attention to who is in the playoff, like when a driver wins I'll say "He's in the playoff." thats pretty much it, I'll pay attention to points at Race 26

At least from 2004-2013, the champion was a driver that had a really good overall season. I believe 5 of the 10 champions from that era would have won the championship even without the chase. The last three champions under the new format would have finished 5th, 20th, and 7th.

I agree as it seems more like a spin of the wheel instead of crowning the best with a proper method.

Good point...i just think all this chase stuff was unnecessary. Everyone bitched about how Matt won the championship, but he was consistently good all year. Isn't that what racing is all about?

Back
Top Bottom