Following the NASCAR points..... pointless?

I'm not having any trouble following along.

Kyle Larson is the points leader and he earned it with a win and 3 second place finishes in 5 races. I fail to see a problem here.

WTF? A couple days ago we had this post, which I thought was spot-on...

Heck, it's only March and we have our first 'I hate the Chase' thread of the season. :cool: It's gotta be a record.

And now we have this new "hate the Chase" thread. I'm so confused...:mad:

WWE-Intercontinental-Championship.png

I normally do not follow the points very closely this early in the season, there is still a lot of racing to do before Richmond.

Chase Elliot, the only Hendricks driver in the top 10...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anybody still believe Carl Edwards retired to spend more time with his family in his prime and not because two Brian France cautions at Homestead cost him a championship?

What the **** are playoff points. I don't understand that
• The playoff bonus structure will see the regular season points leader honored as the regular season champion, earning 15 playoff points that will be added to the driver's playoff reset of 2,000 (after the 26th race, Richmond). In addition, the top-10 drivers in points leading into the playoffs will receive playoff points, with second place receiving 10 playoff points, third place will earn 8 points, fourth place will receive 7 points, and so on. All playoff points will carry through to the end of the Round of 8.
• The winner of the first two stages of each race will receive one playoff point, and the race winner will receive five playoff points. Each playoff point will be added to his or her reset total following race No. 26 (Richmond), if that competitor makes the playoffs.
• All playoff points will carry through to the end of the third round of the playoffs (Round of 8), with the Championship 4 racing straight-up at Homestead-Miami Speedway for the title.
• Drivers will now carry bonus points -- called "playoff points" -- throughout the entire playoffs (instead of just the first round) when the points get reset. Drivers will earn five playoff points for every race win and one playoff point for every segment win. The top-10 drivers in the standings in the regular season also earn additional playoff points on a 15-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale. Drivers will continue to accumulate points throughout the playoffs and carry all the points earned during the year into each of the first three playoff rounds.

Jayski ...

C79caz1XkAAUJDv.jpg:large

Saw this pic of the points posted on Twitter this morning and it got me thinking about back in the day when I used to follow the points religiously. It's gotten to the point over the years that I've lost a lot interest in them. I miss the natural battle for the ultimate goal that took place for so long in this sport. Things have gotten so convoluted in this sport to the point where a weekly following of the championship battle has become pointless.

Honestly, I liked the simple points system they had, the one that went from 40 points for the winner and 1 point for the last place guy. This new point structure with stage points, race win points, championship points. It's just....it's confusing TBH.

I have not been following the points since the third incarnation of the chase. IDK and don't care about the current format but there are stage points and playoff points I believe. I am not criticizing those who like this format but it just ain't for me.
So you like it when the eventual champion finishes 5th every week. The bottom line is you win your the champ. What is not to like about this?

I've never been able to figure out the points system except when they applied 1 point per position. It is hard to keep track of the points for several dozen drivers over several dozen races. I periodically check the standings to see how the drivers stack up to my impression from watching the races (and I'm usually surprised where some drivers end up ranked).

So you like it when the eventual champion finishes 5th every week. The bottom line is you win your the champ. What is not to like about this?

I liked the simple format used prior to 2004. Tweaks and adjustments could have been made if necessary. I don't care for the lottery system Nascar uses now as it is based upon trying to titillate on who the champ may be as opposed to honoring a legitimate winner.

As far as I am concerned if a driver finished top 5 in each of 36 races not only would he be my champion but also my hero.
I agree.

I had to look it up to see if it ever happened. To my surprise, it did. Three times, the best I can tell. 1967, 74 & 75. @Skoalbandit33, your and my hero, Richard Petty, even managed to average 5.0, 4.2 & 4.7 over those three years. That's freakin awesome, and also something that I wouldn't have know without looking it up. During those three years he amassed 56 wins. To think, had we had today's format, he may have not won the championship in two of those years. The other year he finished first in the last race. We may be looking at The King as a five time champion had that been the case. That would be about right in some people's book. Not mine.

Again, this only further magnifies the ridiculousness of the current format. Is ridiculousness even a word? Hey, it works.

I agree.

I had to look it up to see if it ever happened. To my surprise, it did. Three times, the best I can tell. 1967, 74 & 75. @Skoalbandit33, your and my hero, Richard Petty, even managed to average 5.0, 4.2 & 4.7 over those three years. That's freakin awesome, and also something that I wouldn't have know without looking it up. During those three years he amassed 56 wins. To think, had we had today's format, he may have not won the championship in two of those years. The other year he finished first in the last race. We may be looking at The King as a five time champion had that been the case. That would be about right in some people's book. Not mine.

Again, this only further magnifies the ridiculousness of the current format. Is ridiculousness even a word? Hey, it works.

I can't believe it happened at all let alone once but 3 times is off the charts. Freakin awesome is right on!

Does anybody still believe Carl Edwards retired to spend more time with his family in his prime and not because two Brian France cautions at Homestead cost him a championship?
Personally I think they sacked the new guy to get Suarez a cup ride.

They changed from a wacky points awarding system, to the 1 point per position which made it very easy for fans to calculate points, NOW they have this CRAZY thing going on that you need to be a math professor to figure it out

I agree.

Again, this only further magnifies the ridiculousness of the current format. Is ridiculousness even a word?

It must be they even have a TV show called Ridiculousness. Lol
Which I happen to like.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes. Nothing with with consistency in a FULL 36 race body of work. However this format rewards season performance more than the 2014-2016 format. Going to give it a chance here

Yes. Nothing with with consistency in a FULL 36 race body of work. However this format rewards season performance more than the 2014-2016 format. Going to give it a chance here
I will also give it a chance....... I still have a real problem with starting the last race even in points and the highest finisher winning the Cup..... all the consistency and winning segments and races are thrown out the window......

I personally like the stages, think it makes the race more interesting and rewards the drivers who perform well all race. Like the bonus points for top 10 stage positions, plus the playoff bonus points for stage and race winners. Reward those drivers not just during the regular season, but also in playoffs. I like the top 10 drivers in regular season getting playoff bonus points as well.

Granted it does makes it more complicated, but if we're are going to have a chase/playoff, then I like awarding those drivers that consistently run in the top 10, all race long, all year long.

i think it will give the drivers that would have won in the old points system the best chance of winning the playoff while still keeping the playoff format.

I'm not having any trouble following along.

Kyle Larson is the points leader and he earned it with a win and 3 second place finishes in 5 races. I fail to see a problem here.

The problem: points don't mean much anymore because of our disgusting and outrageous playoff format.

I personally like the stages...
Welcome to the asylum, dpbullfrog. I agree with a lot of what you wrote there. The championship format places considerable weight on full season performance, and I like that stage points (finally) give the best performers a possible mechanism to pull ahead and gap the crowd in the points race. And I also like that winners are rewarded a little more richly than in the past... long overdue IMO.

I will also give it a chance....... I still have a real problem with starting the last race even in points and the highest finisher winning the Cup..... all the consistency and winning segments and races are thrown out the window......
I hate the Game 7, Super Bowl winner take all final race myself. But least this format gives a whole hell of a lot more meaning to each and every race as opposed to what we've had in the past

I'd be okay with it if they give the regular season champ an automatic bid at homestead

I'd be okay with it if they give the regular season champ an automatic bid at homestead

That would help to make everything right with the world....... but..... to make everything totally right... whoever scored the most points throughout the whole year won the Cup.... Not the lucky dog of the last race........

Back
Top Bottom