Fontana race?

N

nowbee

I will be going out to the Fontana race in a couple of weeks. I believe this track is pretty much a carbon copy of the Michigan track. Is that correct? I know at the Michigan track there probably is not a bad seat in the house. Is Fontana the same? Any seats or turns to stay away from? I will either buy tickets at the track or (hopefully) have some freebies waiting for us.

We bought tickets at the IRL Michigan race on raceday (sorry CARTisians) & got seats 10 rows up directly on the start finish line. I was very happy with those seats (could see the entire track). So, I hope the Fontana track is the same! Of course, at that IRL race I think we were the only ones who actually PAID for our seats. Everyone else seemed to have freebies!!

Fontana is a clone of Michigan, just has a better view behind the backstretch.

based on passed experience and the fact that the title has been decided, your mobility will not be restricted once you get passed the ticket taker.

Thanks for the info...Yes, I imagine we won't be packed in like sardines, will we?!!

Try to get tickets above the 10th row or so. Anything below that and you won't be able to see the backstretch at all. I had tickets to this year's NASCAR event that were 2nd row and they were awful. At times we couldn't even see the cars going by right in front of us because of the wall. I've been to every CART event at Fontana and have thoroughly enjoyed each race. I even attended this year's IRL race (which is the worst race I've ever seen in my life) and the crowds were extremely small (10,000 - 15,000 in attendance). The CART race will probably have a smaller crowd this year as well, but not as low as the IRL. In past years CART races have generated between 80,000 and 90,000 fans at this track. This year I expect around 50,000 to 60,000. It helps when you only live 8 miles from the track too.

Thanks a lot for the input. The IRl race in Michigan that we went to was attended (in my estimate) by about 25,000 to 30,000. But if I put that into context....I live 25 miles from Eldora (in Ohio), 1/2 mile highbanked dirt track and they cram a little more than 20,000 people into that place for the Kings Royal (winged sprint car race) and even more for a couple of late model races there!

Besides I think everybody but me had free tickets at Michigan!! That p+ssed me off.

I only have attended one CART race at Michigan (probably 94 or 95?) the one where Al, Jr. and was it Scott Goodyear (I really can't remember) passed each other 3 times on the last lap. One of the best races I have ever seen. Some driver hit the fourth turn wall in front of us (was it Zampedri?) and his car disintegrated and ended up close to turn one. Just his cage was intact and he walked out!

I go to Mid-Ohio CART race every year and that track is excellent for a road course. Also been to Laguna Seca a couple of times (Mid-Ohio is much cheaper :)

If you ever get to the Midwest check out Winchester Speedway in Indiana for USAC sprints. It is a 1/2 mile highbanked paved track. It is banked just a little more than Bristol (but without the 100,00 seats). I used to watch Ryan Newman race there. He made moves that were unbelievable (in open wheel). Too bad we can't keep drivers like that in open wheel.

BTW...we are staying in Apple Valley which I think is not too far from the track ??

I have rambled enough......

Hey Player! I was just reading your post and I find it interesting that you noted that the average CART race has more attendees than an IRL race. This is a bit confusing to me. Why then is there so many drivers and sponsors saying the momentum is with the IRL right now? With the exception of the INDY 500< i just dont see it.(IRL momentum) Its things like this that really get me hot under the collar. I just dont get it! Does the INDY 500 generate that much cash that none of the other races matter to the sponsors that are fleeing to IRL? I mean if the average IRL race pulls in 15 to 20 thousand, (look in the stands) where is the interest in this series? Input anyone?

The interest is the roundy-rounds.

Americans don't like races unless it's on a roundy-round.

That is something I truly did not know. I thought everybody liked what I like.(wink & a smile)

hehe...

Personally, I like both series. But if I had to choose which one to watch I would pick CART.

I don't think it's just the "roundy-round" thing. I think that's for sure the biggest part, but I think alot of it is also costs. It's so much cheaper to run in the IRL. I would be willing to bet that it's not going to cost Ganassi anymore money to run 3 to 4 cars in the IRL than it did to run 2 in CART. It costs less to build the cars, it costs less to enter the cars in the races, and the IRL pays out to all finishing cars whereas CART pays out to 12 place I think it is.

I'm like Paul, I like all kinds of racing. Everything from road courses to drag races. I wasn't very happy when Penske announced that they were going to the IRL this yr, but I've got to admit that I became a fan of the "roundy-round". It's nice to see some passing and wheel to wheel racing. The thing I miss most about Penske being in CART is the Mid-Ohio race... (sigh)

Sit as high as you can...that's my only advice. I was at the final Michigan 500, we sat on the top row....it was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom