For the Hunters here

sdj

Just a race fan
Last Friday Morning I saw 8 Osceola Wild Turkey Hens across the body of water in the photo. I called them on one of my box calls and they flew over to my yard and proceeded to run the ducks off the corn LOL. They have been back every day since to feed on the corn. They roost in the oak trees in the Orange Grove that surrounds our property. Gotta love nature.

Turkeys backyard 9-7-18.jpg

Last Friday Morning I saw 8 Osceola Wild Turkey Hens across the body of water in the photo. I called them on one of my box calls and they flew over to my yard and proceeded to run the ducks off the corn LOL. They have been back every day since to feed on the corn. They roost in the oak trees in the Orange Grove that surrounds our property. Gotta love nature.

View attachment 36103
Thats super cool. :D

Reactions: sdj
Yes it is pretty cool, sure makes my day. We also have Wood Storks, Wood Ducks (woodies), Whistler Ducks, Mallard ducks, Big Blue Heroin's, White Heroin's, Louisiana Blue heroin's, Green Heroin's, Egrets, Galinewals, Ibis', Sandhill Cranes and King Fishers.
The picture below shows the wife feeding the Big Blue, Ibis and our good buddy "WOODY" our resident Wood Stork. Believe it or not, we feed them cut up hotdogs. o_O, yep, cut up hotdogs, go figure. It's all good. Everybody else gets cracked and or whole corn.

Feeding Woody 1.jpg

Called this Osceola Gobbler in Sunday morning at 6:45 AM, 18 pounds, 8.5 inch beard, one inch spurs at 30 yards. It was a beautiful morning, got to the blind at 4:45AM, clear skies , no moon, 60 degrees no humidity (to speak of). Nothing better than hearing the woods wake up at the crack of dawn, piece of heaven for sure.

11-11-18  6-45 AM got this Osciolla 8 inch beard 1 inch spurs 18 pound.jpg

This past weekend a friend of mine's son got his first black bear of his young hunting career. Weighed in at 220 lbs.

PA bear season lasts through Wednesday.
9cc58b2e006d33e6b0688311d2f62b0c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Good deal, what a great memory.

We have a few of those down here as well. They are very timid when they do not have cubs.and can destroy a feeder in short order when they take a notion.

Bear.jpg

My brother and I went Quail Hunting on 1-26-19 at Quail Creek Plantation in Okeechobee, Fl. Beautiful location. We harvested 31 Bobwhite quail in the afternoon. Overcast and a little wet some sprinkles, but the birds flew really well. The dogs were half the fun as they always are on a quail hunt.

Quail hunt 1-26-19 Miles and Sam.jpg

Quail hunt 1-26-19 Miles and Sam-1.jpg

For anyone here that hunts or likes wild Turkeys, the video in the attachment is just too funny, a Gobbler and his harem crossing the road, Ain't nature great.. :D

:D:D

In Texas large ranches have imported species from all over the world and they have very expensive private exotic hunts. The profits from the hunts and good management practices have actually helped the breeding populations of the rare species that were being hunted to extinction in their home country. We have a black bear season in parts of southern Oklahoma now in an area that was extinct to bears years ago. I do have no doubt that humans will eliminate all of the living species on the planet that don't benefit them sooner of later though.

Well I changed hunting leases, went from a 5400 acres lease to a 18,500 acre lease and what a beautiful piece of Florida woods it is. (Florida is not all Disney World and Miami Beach).
I have travel over 90 miles on this lease in my side by side and have seen about 1/2 of it. It is one Oak and Cabbage hammock after another loaded with Deer, Turkey and damn hogs. Got my camper out there this week, pictures to follow. I feel fortunate to have been able to get on this lease, there are guys there that have been on this lease for over 25 years. I got the spot from a man that is in his late 80's who's health finally caught up with him, a fine gentleman he is. All the members are very conscientious about conservation and taking care of the land and game management there.

Camper at Lease 4-5-19 -2.jpg

Well I changed hunting leases, went from a 5400 acres lease to a 18,500 acre lease and what a beautiful piece of Florida woods it is. (Florida is not all Disney World and Miami Beach).
I have travel over 90 miles on this lease in my side by side and have seen about 1/2 of it. It is one Oak and Cabbage hammock after another loaded with Deer, Turkey and damn hogs. Got my camper out there this week, pictures to follow. I feel fortunate to have been able to get on this lease, there are guys there that have been on this lease for over 25 years. I got the spot from a man that is in his late 80's who's health finally caught up with him, a fine gentleman he is. All the members are very conscientious about conservation and taking care of the land and game management there.

View attachment 40837
I see that you decided on a trailer. Good choice. It should last you for many years.

This is a photo of a 10 point Florida Buck harvested 9-6-19 by Bow on the lease I am on. He is a beauty. The man that bagged it is a great woodsman and works hard for his trophies.
Sorry for the angle of photo, I tried to change, but, will not load as saved.

Scotts 10 point 185 score 9-6-19.jpg

Last edited:
This is a photo of a 10 point Florida Buck harvested 9-6-19 by Bow on the lease I am on. He is a beauty. The man that bagged it is a great woodsman and works hard for his trophies.
Sorry for the angle of photo, I tried to change, but, will not load as saved.

View attachment 41359
What a great deer, especially for Florida. It has to be a direct descendant of one of the herds restocked from Wisconsin to mid/south Florida in the 40s and 50s.

Reactions: sdj
The deer was harvested basically in the middle of 36,000 acres of central Florida, oak and cabbage hammocks, marshes small amount of improved pasture, maybe 1% with leases on both side of 18K. There is umpteen thousand acres that border what ours is.
What a great deer, especially for Florida. It has to be a direct descendant of one of the herds restocked from Wisconsin to mid/south Florida in the 40s and 50s.

I had an Uncle that he and two others were contracted by the State of Florida during tick fever times, way back when, to kill all the Deer they could in the everglades, between the fever and high water it was devistating. He is since gone, passed some 45 years ago, but, the stories were pretty incredible. He could not eat venison at all after that deal.

The deer was harvested basically in the middle of 36,000 acres of central Florida, oak and cabbage hammocks, marshes small amount of improved pasture, maybe 1% with leases on both side of 18K. There is umpteen thousand acres that border what ours is.

I had an Uncle that he and two others were contracted by the State of Florida during tick fever times, way back when, to kill all the Deer they could in the everglades, between the fever and high water it was devistating. He is since gone, passed some 45 years ago, but, the stories were pretty incredible. He could not eat venison at all after that deal.
My family has similar stories from mid to North Florida. The commercial meat hunters almost wiped out all Florida deer up until the 1920s when it was outlawed.

Ya know, hunters in general get a bad rap by Millennial's and city folks. Mainly because they are ignorant and do not try to learn the way hunters use proper game management.

Poachers, on the other hand, are low life inbred SOB's. It would be a fools errand to get caught on our lease Poaching.

Hunters are the best at managing game, take our lease for instance. We closely follow the legal hunting laws, do not harvest any Bucks less than 4 to 4.5 years old and a certain amount of Doe population control. We also feed corn and protein supplements to the Deer, Turkeys, Bob White Quail and Hogs as well, to keep them healthy. We consume what we harvest and keep records of harvest totals.

Back
Top Bottom