Force Fire Dallas

Kicked the #1 connecting rod and it cut an oil line - the external oil pump is under the #1 piston sleeve

We were sitting in the 400' grandstands when it happened. it was definitely ugly in person. The external oil pumps move around 40 gpm, or 2.5 quarts per second. Even though it broke a rod, the clutch is welded at that point, so the crankshaft (and therefore oil pump) is still spinning, so the oil continues to spray on the headers, creating a basically infinite-source oil fire.

@Nitro Dude is that about right?

We were sitting in the 400' grandstands when it happened. it was definitely ugly in person. The external oil pumps move around 40 gpm, or 2.5 quarts per second. Even though it broke a rod, the clutch is welded at that point, so the crankshaft (and therefore oil pump) is still spinning, so the oil continues to spray on the headers, creating a basically infinite-source oil fire.

@Nitro Dude is that about right?
Yep, you are spot on. The last funny car fire I saw that destroyed the whole car was at Pomona about 3 years a go when Haddock burnt one down. Have you heard any chatter about the big announcement that Tony Stewart and NHRA president Glen Comwell are going to do at the Z-max outdoor pavilion on Thur at 11.00?

Last edited:
It looks like the Johnson City Press has been sniffing around a little.:)

It looks like the Johnson City Press has been sniffing around a little.:)
SHR
TSR
Eldora
All Star Circuit of Champions
NHRA team...

Man Smoke has a good accountant

SHR
TSR
Eldora
All Star Circuit of Champions
NHRA team...

Man Smoke has a good accountant
If the info I'm getting is correct then it will be a 3 time NHRA funny car champion who is high in the hunt for a 4th championship this year as the driver of the second car.

Didn't see this coming but as a big Tony Stewart fan I look forward to this.

Back
Top Bottom