Gateway Dirt Nationals

You beat me to it, was just working on a thread for this.

I love the inclusion of the midgets this year. It appears they have ironed out the kinks of indoor racing and the event will continue to grow. Larson, Bell, Stenhouse, and Haudenschild are racing along with the usual USAC suspects. Sammy is there too.

Kenny Wallace is racing his modified. The invitation only list of mod drivers seems to be UMP heavy, not the USMTS and IMCA guys I'm more familiar with.

I would think Bloomquist, Bobby Pierce, and Brandon Sheppard are the late model favorites. I don't see Josh Richards there, he had been hot at the end of the season, but the bull rings like this aren't really his thing.

Full results from last night: https://racingnews.co/2018/11/30/gateway-dirt-nationals-friday-lineups/

Last edited:
You beat me to it, was just working on a thread for this.

I love the inclusion of the midgets this year. It appears they have ironed out the kinks of indoor racing and the event will continue to grow. Larson, Bell, Stenhouse, and Haudenschild are racing along with the usual USAC suspects. Sammy is there too.

Kenny Wallace is racing his modified. The invitation only list of mod drivers seems to be UMP heavy, not the USMTS and IMCA guys I'm more familiar with.

The late models were the Bloomquist show last year. I would look for Jonathan Davenport to challenge him, along with Brandon Sheppard, Bobby Pierce and a few others. It doesn't seem like Josh Richards is there, he had been hot at the end of the season.

Full results from last night: https://racingnews.co/2018/11/30/gateway-dirt-nationals-friday-lineups/
and you had not better leave for a month..I will find you. Oh and I am terrible following the late models..you are going to HAVE TO post them.

Coutney's ride is a looker, the other two not so much, but they are bad fast. Ugly fast.

Billy Pauch, I follow his sister Mandy on YouTube, she does a good job of filming the races. Her boyfriend races also.

I have to be honest, the fact that Stenhouse can semi-competitviely and credibly race a midget at these events is the most impressive thing about him to me.
I don't think Roush lets him run any races during the season. I could be wrong, but it sure seems that way.

Oh and I am terrible following the late models..you are going to HAVE TO post them.

The modern dirt late model bodies are the most twisted of sisters. It's crazy to see how much skew is built in with the crooked noses and lopsidedness. But they can put on some bad ass shows with a properly groomed two groove track. This track is a tad too small for them IMO, but it's part of the charm of the event I suppose.

I never have warmed up to the left rear tire being in the back seat. I think it looks stupid. Sorry if I am offending the late model dirt fans. I think they could do just as well without that.

Really jealous of anyone going to it this year! I couldn't make it this year. Went last year! It was amazing! I'm not a big modified fan, and their heats were bad , but the feature was pretty good. Late models were awesome! The midgets just makes it double as good for me. The show just keeps on getting better and better! Would love to see Cody put on another indoor race somewhere else in the future as well!

Scott who?

Sammy who?

lol

Never wouldve thought Larson would get beat by Sunshine running in the "Larson Lane".

Stenhouse hooked a rut and flipped, not a tire.. (Lee Spencer)

Very enjoyable races to watch, and I even stayed up for the Lates..

Should be a shorter night tonight. 33 races in one evening maxes out my attention span..

Nobody could catch Christopher Bell, lights out. They have 6th wrong , Bowman was driving the Leary car.

DtYeQ8tUwAEkwIQ.jpg:large

I am reading fans were not happy about how short the race was a 30 lapper. Nice problem to have. the track breaking up was another..see Chili bowl.

I am reading fans were not happy about how short the race was a 30 lapper. Nice problem to have. the track breaking up was another..see Chili bowl.

Not sure what they expected. A standard midget race is about 30 laps, even on a 1/5 mile like Macon or DuQuoin indoors. Usually a super late model race that is $20,000 to win or more is 100 laps , but at Gateway Dirt nationals they don’t even run a standard big late model length race of 50 (Gateway lm feature is 40 laps). 30 is exactly what I would have expected but 25 wouldn’t have surprised me...

The terragator tires tore up alot of gear over the weekend. Its not my race, but Id think that if they ran the jersey barriers thru the full turn, and cut the tires in half and lined to corners it may help..

Only 11 Late Models finished the A main Saturday. Looks like 15 midgets, with Larson bowing out on the last lap. I did not watch the modifieds...

Not sure what they expected. A standard midget race is about 30 laps, even on a 1/5 mile like Macon or DuQuoin indoors. Usually a super late model race that is $20,000 to win or more is 100 laps , but at Gateway Dirt nationals they don’t even run a standard big late model length race of 50 (Gateway lm feature is 40 laps). 30 is exactly what I would have expected but 25 wouldn’t have surprised me...
55 laps at the Chili bowl.

55 laps at the Chili bowl.

Yeah and that is by far the biggest midget race of the year. Other than turkey night i can’t think of many midget races longer than 30 laps. And at Gateway the midgets are a support class to the headline late model race which has a much shorter than normal race length...
Not sure why anyone would have expected it to be longer.

Back
Top Bottom