Give me your prime years, and single peak season for these drivers.

jaqua19

Team Owner
I've seen this sort of thing discussed in other boards for other sports and it seemed fun.

This discussion was prompted by a conversation I had tonight with a friend about Tony Stewart's career. I had Tony's prime as 2005-2012, with 2005 being his peak season, my friend thought 2009 was his best season.

What about these drivers?

Tony Stewart

Kyle Busch

Jimmie Johnson

Brad Keselowski

Matt Kenseth

Kurt Busch

Carl Edwards

Dale Jr

Denny Hamlin

Kevin Harvick

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kasey Kahne prime 2006 to 2012 peak 2006

Bill Elliott prime 1984 to 1994 peak 1988

Dale Earnhardt Jr....I would say 2000-06. Then the lost year at DEI in 07 and being lost at HMS until good years in 14&15 there. I wish Big E had been alive Jr’s career would have been different they sure did have something special at DEI. I’d say peak Jr was 04

Jimmie Johnson: 2002-2017 and peak would be 2007.

He did have a head start coming in to cup - he was 27 and was a seasoned off road racer (which I think translated really well to the gen 4 cars). Plus he had a good 5 or so years of stock car seat time. Not to mention he had Jeff Gordon's cars from 2001 in his first year.

So it’s pretty easy to say that Jeff Gordon’s prime was 95-07 ? With 98 being his peak year obviously, It’s kind of hard to say he did have some tough years (by his standards at the time) in 99 and 00 when Ray left for Dodge and Jeff, Rick, Robbie Loomis rebuilt the Rainbow Warriors. Then 01 he won the Cup (If you had told 16 year old me at the time that would have been his last championship I would have found that unfathomable. I still find it unfathomable he didn’t win another the rest of his career. A shame really.) Jeff’s decline started with Jimmie’s rise you can say but I’m not sure JG was always in it each year. He missed the Chase in 05 and then had winless years in 09 and 11 ( my memory might be off) but he always carried that veteran mystique of “If he gets in the playoffs he can get on a roll, never count him out” . But Jimmie from 06 on, just surpassed him and pretty much ran things for his 5 straight Cups.

So it’s pretty easy to say that Jeff Gordon’s prime was 95-07 ? With 98 being his peak year obviously, It’s kind of hard to say he did have some tough years (by his standards at the time) in 99 and 00 when Ray left for Dodge and Jeff, Rick, Robbie Loomis rebuilt the Rainbow Warriors. Then 01 he won the Cup (If you had told 16 year old me at the time that would have been his last championship I would have found that unfathomable. I still find it unfathomable he didn’t win another the rest of his career. A shame really.) Jeff’s decline started with Jimmie’s rise you can say but I’m not sure JG was always in it each year. He missed the Chase in 05 and then had winless years in 09 and 11 ( my memory might be off) but he always carried that veteran mystique of “If he gets in the playoffs he can get on a roll, never count him out” . But Jimmie from 06 on, just surpassed him and pretty much ran things for his 5 straight Cups.
I'd say Jeff's prime was 95-2001, with 98 being his peak.

I'd say Jimmie's prime was 2004-2014. 2013 being his peak.

I'd say Jeff's prime was 95-2001, with 98 being his peak.

I'd say Jimmie's prime was 2004-2014. 2013 being his peak.

Besides wins in 07 JG had his best statistical year. He would have cruised to the Championship....except Jimmie was better in the last 10

Kyle Busch: 2015 until now
Kevin Harvick: 2014 until now

2018 is probably the peak for both of them.
Agreed about Harvick, Kyle Busch I disagree with. I say Kyle's Prime started in 2008, with this year being his best season overall. I consider him the LeBron James of NASCAR. Not the goat, but a hefty resume with his best asset being longevity and the length of his prime seasons. In terms of talent behind the wheel, I don't see how much improved Kyle Busch from 2008 to now. The main difference is that he is more mature behind-the-wheel and patient. In terms of raw talent, I'd say he broke onto the scene with it in 2008.

The Kyle Busch you see now, is the same driver he was 10 years ago, the main difference is simply maturity and being paired with a good crew chief for him. His skillset was always this phenomenol, its just better showcased now in a better situation, and a more mature mind.

Agreed about Harvick, Kyle Busch I disagree with. I say Kyle's Prime started in 2008, with this year being his best season overall. I consider him the LeBron James of NASCAR. Not the goat, but a hefty resume with his best asset being longevity and the length of his prime seasons. In terms of talent behind the wheel, I don't see how much improved Kyle Busch from 2008 to now. The main difference is that he is more mature behind-the-wheel and patient. In terms of raw talent, I'd say he broke onto the scene with it in 2008.

The Kyle Busch you see now, is the same driver he was 10 years ago, the main difference is simply maturity and being paired with a good crew chief for him. His skillset was always this phenomenol, its just better showcased now in a better situation, and a more mature mind.

In 08, I really thought Kyle was going to win 14-15 races He was so dialed in before the Chase started. Was really neat to watch his talent step up at age 23 and him dominate the regular season. Good comparison to Lebron, I find that to be really believable.

Jr 98-2004 2013-2015
Gordon 95-01
Stewart 99-07
Johnson 02-10
Earnhardt 86-95
Kyle Busch 2008-present
Harvick 2013-present
Truex 2015-present
Kurt Busch 2002-2006
Jeff Burton 97-00
Edwards 05-11
I could go and on and on

What measuring stick is being used to determine a drivers peak year?

In 08, I really thought Kyle was going to win 14-15 races He was so dialed in before the Chase started. Was really neat to watch his talent step up at age 23 and him dominate the regular season. Good comparison to Lebron, I find that to be really believable.

He and Carl were SCARY that season.

What measuring stick is being used to determine a drivers peak year?
Up to you really.

Could be wins. Points. Performance. Speed. What you value as a fan.

For example, I say JJ's was 2013. Someone else said his was 2007, probably because 10 wins, and the championship, along with taking down the driver who had a career year in consistency.

I say 2013 because it was Jimmie's best year in terms of speed and performance. Coulda won 10+ on speed alone and still capped off with the title. So thats your call

He and Carl were SCARY that season.
Carl was better that year. Its almost forgotten that he won more races than Kyle, had more top 5s and top 10s. And the two times the raced each other for wins, Carl won and outdrove him.

From 2005-2011, Carl was arguably the 2nd best driver in NASCAR, along with Tony Stewart behind Jimmie.

Carl was a better driver than Kyle during that time span and a more consistent championship threat. Its a shame his 3 chances of a title were against the GOAT, and the second best driver of the 2000s/the only multi time champ since 2000 besides JJ.

Carl was good enough to win multiple championships. Its a shame he wasted 3 years at Roush. Back with Gibbs, after finding his footing with top tier equipment again, he was a championship calibur driver. The only drivers I'd take against Carl head to head are Jimmie, and Tony. Kyle is tough, because the 3 times he and Kyle Busch were head to head for a win, Carl won all of him.

Most underrated star of the last 15 years. Not even close.

2008 was among the best overall seasons of the last 20 years.

Average finish of around 9th. 9 wins, 21 top 5s, 27 top 10s. And 3 wins that got away from him due to mechanical failures. Good for Jimmie for keeping pace with Carl all chase, out winning him 5-3 the last 12 races and capitalizing on the 99 teams troubles, but that was Carl's year.

Back
Top Bottom